U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna put up a list of neighbourhood names I made up, and I wanna see what cities y'all think they would fit in, and how the neighbourhood would be (vibe, demographics, income etc.) These are all made up names, they may share names with real places but that would just be a coincidence. Also, don't pick cities that actually do have neighbourhoods with that name..

Wellport
Golden Ridge
Harbour Cape
Queenston
Westwood
Breezy Pointe
Sunset View
Oak Plain
Mint Ridge
Ocean Park
Southwest Ward
East Shore
Fortuna Springs
Shady Grove
Spring Haven
Temple Square
Plumwood
Marshy Oaks
Carmelita
Bloomingdale
Walnut Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 02:48 PM

774 posts, read 841,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I'm gonna put up a list of neighbourhood names I made up, and I wanna see what cities y'all think they would fit in, and how the neighbourhood would be (vibe, demographics, income etc.) These are all made up names, they may share names with real places but that would just be a coincidence. Also, don't pick cities that actually do have neighbourhoods with that name..

Wellport- Boston
Golden Ridge- Oakland
Harbour Cape- Cape Town
Queenston- Vancouver
Westwood- Los Angeles
Breezy Pointe- Detroit
Sunset View- San Diego
Oak Plain- Chicago
Mint Ridge- Denver
Ocean Park- Miami
Southwest Ward
East Shore- Houston
Fortuna Springs- San Bernardino
Shady Grove- Washington, DC
Spring Haven- Atlanta
Temple Square- Salt Lake City
Plumwood- Seattle
Marshy Oaks- Baton Rouge
Carmelita- San Jose
Bloomingdale- New York City
Walnut Park
Here are my thoughts as shown above.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:55 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,674,850 times
Walnut Park is a real neighborhood in St. Louis. lol

Old 06-24-2017, 03:59 PM

706 posts, read 513,553 times
Sunset View and Fortuna Springs are pretty close to some real neighborhood names in ABQ.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehkou View Post
Sunset View and Fortuna Springs are pretty close to some real neighborhood names in ABQ.

What are they actually called?

Old 06-24-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Here are my thoughts as shown above.

None for Walnut Park? Lol.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:15 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,402,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfilms View Post
i'm gonna put up a list of neighbourhood names i made up, and i wanna see what cities y'all think they would fit in, and how the neighbourhood would be (vibe, demographics, income etc.) these are all made up names, they may share names with real places but that would just be a coincidence. Also, don't pick cities that actually do have neighbourhoods with that name..

wellport- well to do town in sw connecticut, ferries taking commuters to manhattan
golden ridge- nondescript suburban sprawl in southern california
harbour cape- southwest florida, everyone has a boat and is a transplant from the midwest
queenston- a hamlet on long island, upper-middle class and solid middle class african-american community
westwood- los angeles, upperclass anglo-enclave
breezy pointe- southeast florida, somewhere in broward county, lots of jewish new yorkers and eastern europeans living in beachside condos
sunset view-
oak plain- generic middle-class subdivision in suburban chicago
mint ridge
ocean park- san diego county, wealthy coastal community, lots of surfing and fish taco places
southwest ward- new orleans, historic african-american community that got devastated in katrina
east shore- new orleans, once a working-class fishing village, now a highly developed upper middle class enclae
fortuna springs- riverside county, california, resort town and lots of retirees
shady grove suburban cleveland, sizable jewish population and historic stately homes
spring haven- suburban new jersey, halfway between manhattan and phlly, very upper middle-class and a historic main street
temple square- jersey city, a true melting pot of immigrants from all over, very working-class but lots of small business owners
plumwood- long island suburb with a large jamaican and west indian population
marshy oaks- suburban new orleans, middle to upper middle class community with a sizable black population
carmelita- downwardly mobile suburb of gary, indiana, evenly split between black and white but the white population is elderly, hasn't gained population since 1980
bloomingdale- indiana, a pleasant but very ordinary mid-sided city, middle class and very stereotypically midwestern
walnut parknsanely wealthy tech boomburb in the sf bay area, large chinese and chinese-american population
See above

Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM

3,511 posts, read 1,600,527 times
My thoughts below:

Wellport - Biloxi, MS: gentrifying warehouse district on the Gulf Coast, with a massive influx of them hipsters.

Golden Ridge - Washington, DC: wealthy residential area with large houses, where politicians' families live.

Harbour Cape - Boston: former municipal dry docks, that recently became a yuppie nightlife district.

Queenston - Providence, RI: old-money wealthy neighborhood with surprisingly understated homes.

Westwood - St. Paul, MN: a commercial area that's kind of generic, but quite safe and pleasant to visit.

Breezy Pointe - Flagstaff, AZ: allegedly a serene nature escape, but in practice, a bland housing subdivision.

Sunset View - Los Angeles: former theater district that became a glitzy condominium row on Sunset Blvd.

Oak Plain - Saint Louis, MO: upper-class residential area with large houses but down-to-earth people.

Mint Ridge - Charlotte, NC: nondescript middle-class housing subdivision with an overly strict HOA.

Ocean Park - Tallahassee, FL: beachy, working-class residential area that, for some reason, never gentrified.

Southwest Ward - San Francisco: gritty but relatively safe neighborhood with small houses.

East Shore - Atlantic City, NJ: a historic middle-class mixed-use area that became overran with corporate chains.

Fortuna Springs - Los Angeles: snooty new-money gated community near the eastern city limits.

Shady Grove - Atlanta: historic residential area with wide boulevards and plantation-style houses.

Spring Haven - Hartford, CT: residential area with luxury condominiums, where Masters and Ph.D. students live.

Temple Square - Philadelphia: formerly a Jewish enclave of walk-ups and small shops, but now a decaying neighborhood.

Plumwood - Memphis: a run-down, high-crime neighborhood, nicknamed "The Plummet" by criminal-minded residents.

Marshy Oaks - New Orleans: previously a wetland, now a newly build subdivision with nondescript tract homes.

Carmelita - San Diego: working-class neighborhood near the Mexican border, with small houses and busy streets.

Bloomingdale - Chicago: nondescript industrial neighborhood full of warehouses, convenience stores, and walk-up apartments.

Walnut Park - Kansas City, MO: nondescript working-class residential area with bungalows and two-flats.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM

212 posts, read 172,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
My thoughts below:

Bloomingdale - Chicago: nondescript industrial neighborhood full of warehouses, convenience stores, and walk-up apartments.

LOL funny you say that. Bloomingdale is an actual Chicago suburb...

Old 06-26-2017, 10:18 AM

3,511 posts, read 1,600,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
LOL funny you say that. Bloomingdale is an actual Chicago suburb...
I know that. It has a tiny downtown core of maybe 4 blocks (2 by 2); the rest is as suburban as it gets: isolated subdivisions, chain stores galore, a shopping mall, and wide collector streets. I was thinking more of the Bloomingdale Line, a former freight railroad, now a bike trail. (There's gotta be a relation between the railroad and the suburb, but I don't know it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or