U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 06:21 AM

22,267 posts, read 23,769,327 times

Advertisements

Everyone's doing the Pittsburgh, you should do it, too. It hits everything you've said, and while it's a smaller city, it's still sizable enough that it's more than a college town. Its large industrial legacy also means that it has a lot of great old institutions such as great museums and libraries.

Another option, and one that's close to home for you, would be Providence.

Of course, you can also defect to Philadelphia.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-25-2017 at 06:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:28 AM

6,862 posts, read 11,151,592 times
Providence does not have low rents.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:47 AM

56,880 posts, read 81,216,145 times
Another thing that may work is to go with a neighborhood in a bigger Upstate NY city, which will allow for proximity to Ithaca. For instance, Syracuse's University Hill/University/Westcott area on the city's Eastside would fit. Rochester's SE Quadrant would fit. Buffalo's Allentown, Elmwood Village and North Buffalo neighborhoods would also fit. Not only could they allow for fishing nearby, but Syracuse is only an hour away; Rochester is an hour and 40 minutes away and Buffalo is 2 and a half hours away from Ithaca. So, those may be options as well and there are other parts of these cities that may work as well.

If you don't mind really small, but on a Finger Lake and a diverse community, look possibly into Geneva. Size(14,000 people) and employment are likely issues though.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:19 AM

22,267 posts, read 23,769,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Providence does not have low rents.
I thought the comparison was to Seattle, Boston, SF, and NYC? It's not bottom of the barrel prices, but Providence is substantially cheaper than those, no?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 AM

5,059 posts, read 6,050,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If you liked Ithaca, perhaps look into Ann Arbor MI. It has a similar feel/vibe, is a little bit bigger, it is very close to Detroit and its airport. It essentially fits pretty much everything you are looking for and is in a highly populated area/region of about 5 million people(SE Michigan). Here's a street view of its Downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2795...i6656?hl=en-US

Some fishing info: https://localwiki.org/ann-arbor/Fishing
I'll second this: I grew up there. If you live near downtown, you'll have nearly everything you need nearby, plus there are bike lanes and buses that have bike racks that go all over the city. The rent is not cheap, but you would probably find places cheaper than Boston.

You can bike down to Gallup Park for fishing along the Huron River or even rent a canoe.

Ann Arbor is a lot warmer than Madison, WI. I like Madison a lot, but since the winters are so brutal, it's not really comfortable walking everywhere in the winter. A2 can get cold, too, but it has a lot more of the freeze-thaw cycles, so there can be January days in the low 40s. Be prepared for lots of ice. Get yourself a pair of YakTrax.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:36 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,535,713 times
Portland, Oregon. Great public transportation system and absolutely gorgeous place

Old 06-25-2017, 03:00 PM

79,050 posts, read 70,937,721 times
I also vote for Ann Arbor or Madison, for you, OP.

That's funny that Denver's friendliness freaked you out! I'm from CA originally, and I take that kind of thing for granted, and love it. Seattle was a serious culture shock for me in that regard; everyone's so closed up! I love Colorado. I'm nearby, in Santa Fe.

You haven't told us what your work niche is. That would make a difference as to recommendations. Bellingham, WA, or Olympia, for example, are much more affordable than Seattle, depending on your field. Both have a major state university. Bellingham is rainier than anywhere else in the region, though. But it's close to Vancouver, BC, and has fabulous hiking & scenic nature.

Old 06-25-2017, 06:51 PM

12,476 posts, read 11,979,561 times
I think you guys need to remember with some of your suggestions that downtown Denver was not walkable enough for the OP. Many of the cities people are suggesting for walkability basically would restrict him to downtown and maybe 1-2 other neighborhoods immediately nearby. I mean, if he had fun in Ithaca, he could make it work, but he might feel constrained being kept to one tiny piece of the metro.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:38 AM

79,050 posts, read 70,937,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think you guys need to remember with some of your suggestions that downtown Denver was not walkable enough for the OP. Many of the cities people are suggesting for walkability basically would restrict him to downtown and maybe 1-2 other neighborhoods immediately nearby. I mean, if he had fun in Ithaca, he could make it work, but he might feel constrained being kept to one tiny piece of the metro.
Good point. Walkable + affordable is tough. That let's me out. The West Coast doesn't really have any of those, except maybe Arcata, on the north coast of CA. Depends on if the OP could find a job in his field, whatever it is.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:02 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,337,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Minneapolis

Smaller and cheaper than Boston though still a big city.
Walkable (and bikeable)
Lots and lots of trees
More places to fish than you can shake your pole at!

If you want even smaller and a college town vibe, check out Madison, Wis.

And if you like ice fishing, Minnesota and Wisconsin can't be beat!
My concern is that if the OP thought Denver wasn't walkable he/she may not find Minneapolis that different, otherwise I'd have made the same suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or