U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 3,104 times

Advertisements

Thank you in advance for helping me! I have scrolled through this forum for a couple years and it has really helped me get ideas for where to call home. This is my first time posting.

I am searching for a place to relocate. I am at a perfect place in my life to do so, nothing is tying me down. I'm young and employable with a great degree.

What I'm looking for:
- Smaller than Boston
- Cheaper than Boston for rent (which would be almost anyplace else)
- I will not have a car, so walkability is key.
- Trees! Greenery!
- I love fishing, so I gotta fish
- Safety
- Diversity

Currently living in Boston/Cambridge, MA. I've been spoiled growing up in Cambridge. Diversity, walkability, relative safety at night, best colleges in the world, amazing museums and the libraries are museums themselves (Boston Public Library has tours every day). I live without a car. However, rent is TOO DAMN HIGH.
I like the amenities of the city, but I love the outdoors. Boston has lots of parks, but they are so crowded and the freshwater fish are too polluted to eat.

I recently graduated from college in Ithaca, NY. I left my heart in Ithaca, it was like paradise! Very cold in the winter, but the Fingerlakes are so beautiful and ice fishing is fun. I will move back there someday.

I lived in Denver last year. Despite all the wonderful things I read about Denver here and on other forums, I really didn't like it. The inner city was NOT walkable (mistake moving there without a car), the scenery was brown and dry (I saw tumbleweed!), lots of crime downtown, and a surprising lack of diversity downtown too. Boulder was fun but I could not live there longterm. Too expensive/crunchy/organic/spiritual.

But... I made better friends in Denver than I ever have before. People were truly friendly. No competition. No rush. I was intimidated during my first month in Denver because strangers would say hi to me on the elevator or on the street or at the cash register, and wave at each other in cars; it freaked me out at first! Serious culture shock! It was my first time experiencing that kind of courtesy.

So now where do I go? I tried out Boulder and Denver and didn't like either. NYC and SF and Seattle are not cheap enough. I haven't been anywhere else. I do not know where to start looking for a new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM

21,209 posts, read 30,427,905 times
Check out Kansas City. It's urban core is quite walkable, is surprisingly vibrant, has that "scary" friendly vibe, affordability, has lots of parks/greenery, is fairly safe overall and has decent diversity for a Midwest metro along with fishing on the Missouri River. Check out the neighborhoods of Old Westport, Downtown Loop and Crossroads which all have WalkScores in the high 80s/low 90s.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:17 PM

56,747 posts, read 81,061,259 times
If you liked Ithaca, perhaps look into Ann Arbor MI. It has a similar feel/vibe, is a little bit bigger, it is very close to Detroit and its airport. It essentially fits pretty much everything you are looking for and is in a highly populated area/region of about 5 million people(SE Michigan). Here's a street view of its Downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2795...i6656?hl=en-US

Some fishing info: https://localwiki.org/ann-arbor/Fishing

Old 06-24-2017, 07:41 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,399,662 times
Minneapolis

Smaller and cheaper than Boston though still a big city.
Walkable (and bikeable)
Lots and lots of trees
More places to fish than you can shake your pole at!

If you want even smaller and a college town vibe, check out Madison, Wis.

And if you like ice fishing, Minnesota and Wisconsin can't be beat!

Old 06-24-2017, 07:43 PM

12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
Not to be a homer, but I think Pittsburgh checks all of your boxes. It's the most walkable and dense city in the rust belt, and living here without a car isn't bad. It's more expensive than it used to be, but it's cheap compared to Boston. And because of the really rugged topography, there are lots of wild spaces within city limits. Hell, in my old neighborhood (which was very urban) there was a path down by the river where people could fish and pick wild mulberries and peaches.

The one thing you won't get is the outgoing thing you get somewhere like Denver. As someone who was also raised in New England I know exactly what you mean about how strangers talking to you can seem weird. That happens more frequently in Pittsburgh, but it's still more like the rest of the Northeast than elsewhere in the country.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:57 PM

77 posts, read 51,510 times
Downtown St Petersburg, FL.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:02 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,530,833 times
I will second what previous posters have said. Both Minneapolis and Pittsburgh would be a decent fit. Both very walkable.

Minnesota has your ice fishing you enjoy, and very safe

Pittsburgh has great rivers/streams to fish in, and has safe areas as well. Plus Pittsburgh in my opinion is very underrated, especially with how affordable it is

Old 06-24-2017, 08:04 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,167,652 times
I went to grad school in Boston and then back to Cincinnati and Nashville. Check out both Cincinnati and Nashville I had connections to both cities but they are super cheap to live in compared to Boston and better winter weather as well. You still get 4 seasons without as much snow. Both great places to live if you love to fish. They both have a walkable core downtown, Nashville is better than Cincy but Cincinnati is getting better with the Banks and a streetcar.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:59 AM

1,789 posts, read 2,152,603 times
Cleveland

-has rapid transit system
-great metropolitan parks system
-lake erie for ice fishing (it freezes over faster and more extensively because it is the shallowest of the Great Lakes) -affordable
-many walkable communities within 5 miles of downtown.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:55 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,434,009 times
There are a lot of different recommendations here, but if Ithaca is your type of town, and for some reason is not viable right now, I agree with the recommendation of Ann Arbor and also Madison WI which is a big college town with numerous bike paths and is pedestrian friendly. Along with being a cool town with intellectual bendt (like AA), Madison is right on the Great Lakes making the outdoors a big part of the city's vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or