U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best U.S. city for a world traveler to live?
NYC 14 22.95%
Los Angeles 5 8.20%
Chicago 10 16.39%
Washington, D.C. 5 8.20%
San Francisco 8 13.11%
Seattle 2 3.28%
Boston 5 8.20%
San Diego 1 1.64%
Miami 3 4.92%
Other (please specify) 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 PM

681 posts, read 2,771,163 times

Advertisements

NYC is the obvious heavyweight here, but what about Washington?

You'd be in an internationally known city with easy access to embassies of every nation on earth. Lots of international flights out of Dulles, plus quick and easy bullet-train Amtrak service for the entire eastern seaboard. Excellent public transportation, unfortunately not utilized as much as it should be. You'd be right at the scene of inaugurations, marches, protests, parades and national events. A cultural scene on par with any major US city, and likely cheaper than New York.

Just something to consider. I think a world traveler needs an eastern seaboard or west-coast city. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are not, in my opinion, world class cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 12:36 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,617,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
NYC is the obvious heavyweight here, but what about Washington?

You'd be in an internationally known city with easy access to embassies of every nation on earth. Lots of international flights out of Dulles, plus quick and easy bullet-train Amtrak service for the entire eastern seaboard. Excellent public transportation, unfortunately not utilized as much as it should be. You'd be right at the scene of inaugurations, marches, protests, parades and national events. A cultural scene on par with any major US city, and likely cheaper than New York.

Just something to consider. I think a world traveler needs an eastern seaboard or west-coast city. Atlanta, Dallas and Houston are not, in my opinion, world class cities.
Of course Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston's urban landscapes lag behind those in the Northeast and some on the East Coast, but you would be surprised by the levels of urban in-migration in those metros. A lot of the urban neighborhoods in those cities have come back and are pretty impressive. Also, all three cities offer similar amenities as any other major city and they're improving their public tranport systems. Additionally, all three cities are incredibily diverse with a lot of immigrants arriving annually and making their own impact on their respective cities.

If you're talking about living in an area where cost of living is rmore affordable than most major metro areas--including DC--to the point where you have more disposable income and also a busy international airport, then it would be convenient for those who love to travel.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,133,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownwarrior View Post
Chicago? Eh???

Are you looking for worldy things in the city, or access to the world....

If the latter, then obviously the airport hubs (chicago, nyc, atl) would be the best choice, if you are travelling all of the time.

If you're looking for worldly things in the city, I think you might be heavily dissapointed in chicago. I've met a lot of people here from other parts of the country and world who are dissappointed with the "diversity" and culture. Yes, there are a bunch of places that are cool, but its still VERY midwestern. I'm a "world" traveler as well, and I've been all around, and I'm relatively disapointed with chicago. I'd stick with NYC or San Fran.
There are tons of worldly things in Chicago ( Greektown, Chinatown, Bucktown, Devon Street, and countless others). You just have to be willing to look for it. Chicago is one of the most diverse cities in the country with Greeks, Poles, Italians, Czechs, Germans, Arabs, Jews, Indians, Thais, etc.

It's your opinion, but your standards must be extremely high if Chicago does not come off as diverse to you.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:32 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,133,722 times
Quote:
Chicago? Eh???

If the latter, then obviously the airport hubs (chicago, nyc, atl) would be the best choice, if you are travelling all of the time.

If you're looking for worldly things in the city, I think you might be heavily dissapointed in chicago. I've met a lot of people here from other parts of the country and world who are dissappointed with the "diversity" and culture. Yes, there are a bunch of places that are cool, but its still VERY midwestern. I'm a "world" traveler as well, and I've been all around, and I'm relatively disapointed with chicago. I'd stick with NYC or San Fran.

I think Chicago is very diverse, maybe not as much as NYC, but it's certainly not far behind. I guess it certainly depends on one standards though, as not every person residing in chicago is an immigrant or a person of color.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:13 PM

196 posts, read 855,318 times
las vegas has its benefits for a traveller...

no state income tax
affordable housing
centrally located airport
lots of flight options, generally a cheap place to fly to and from, with a fair amount of international flights as well

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,047,258 times
NYC is the first to come to mind. It strikes me as the most international city.
In this regard, I'd give San Francisco second place.
Washington DC third.

If you're looking at the affordability scale, Atlanta all the way. Maybe Vegas.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 AM

395 posts, read 1,221,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I think Chicago is very diverse, maybe not as much as NYC, but it's certainly not far behind. I guess it certainly depends on one standards though, as not every person residing in chicago is an immigrant or a person of color.
I've lived here most of my entire life, yes, i know these places you talk of... but you have to understand we're not as much of a melting pot as you'd think, esp. compared to cities like san fran, dc, or nyc (or even norfolk, virginia). maybe if you're white and from the midwest, you think chicago is a representation of the outer world....but its' really not. its still a midwestern city, with pockets (which are arguably very international).

I guess you can say my standards are high, but i've travelled many places (and from a foreign family), (im NOT a tourist) and stayed considerable time in multiple countries in europe, asia, south america, and africa.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:21 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,450,469 times
Houston. Based on the fact that me and my friends are broke, yet we travel frequently. Low cost of living, two airports, nonstop flights... what's not to like?

Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 AM

11,290 posts, read 7,875,247 times
Quote:
Chicago? Eh???

which is what makes CHICAGO the BEST all american city.
This is IMO what a world traveler would want in an american city
Great architecture, people, restaurants and shopping

Old 03-12-2008, 10:38 AM
l12

160 posts, read 273,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
NYC for public transportation--no need for a car if always traveling overseas. Also, the airport connections to Europe are excellent and good transport along the eastern shore to other US cities.
But.. the public transportation doesn't go to the airport! Except for Newark. Maybe JFK now too? But it sure is a long trip to the airport and expensive in taxi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or