Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best U.S. city for a world traveler to live?
NYC 14 22.95%
Los Angeles 5 8.20%
Chicago 10 16.39%
Washington, D.C. 5 8.20%
San Francisco 8 13.11%
Seattle 2 3.28%
Boston 5 8.20%
San Diego 1 1.64%
Miami 3 4.92%
Other (please specify) 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
l12

160 posts, read 317,308 times

Advertisements

I'm very surprised Atlanta is not on that list being the world's busiest airport! Not to mention great subway access to the airport.

But anyway, I choose Miami because you get the best deals on flights to all of Latin America there, and most other places, and it's quick and easy to get to the airport. Not to mention it's an incredibly international city, you feel in another country all of the time, not just when visiting ethnic neighborhoods like other US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM

395 posts, read 1,375,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
which is what makes CHICAGO the BEST all american city.
This is IMO what a world traveler would want in an american city
Great architecture, people, restaurants and shopping
EXACTLY. Dead on.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:17 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
Los Angeles is geared to international culture without being cluttered with fresh-out-of-college white kids looking to find a big "cosmopolitan" experience and just finding each other.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,873 times
I agree with those who are saying that Chicago really isn't all that diverse. I lived in the area for 11 years.

By looking at numbers, yes, there appears to be diversity.
But in reality, those numbers tend to be very self-segregated.
The city still has undertones of that midwestern "white bread" feel.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times
Either of the listed cities will be a good choice. It also depends on where you prefer to travel in which direction. If you primarily need to travel to Asia then west coast cities like LA and San Francisco will be the best as they offer the most direct flights to the major cities around Asia and Asia Pacific. If flying primarily to Europe - east coast cities are definitely the best (NYC, DC, Atlanta). Miami is great for travel to Latin America. Chicago is kinda in the middle, so I guess that gives it some advantage

Honestly, I hate flying through Chicago O'Hare and ATL. ATL is the busiest airport in the world situated in an area with frequent thunderstorms and other weather problems. Chicago is similar.. I had a really miserable time connecting through it and my coworkers's evening flight was always inevitably cancelled every week. Busy traffic + frequent bad weather = trouble SFO also can't handle the rain and one of the runways has to be closed which causes huge delays.

Based on all this, I'd say LAX and LA (Santa Monica to be exact) would be my choice as a world traveler friendly place. Living in Santa Monica or Manhattan beach you are close to the airport and get to enjoy the beach! I think that's why there are so many foreign tourists there who choose to stay longer. Washington DC would be my second choice.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I agree with those who are saying that Chicago really isn't all that diverse. I lived in the area for 11 years.

By looking at numbers, yes, there appears to be diversity.
But in reality, those numbers tend to be very self-segregated.
The city still has undertones of that midwestern "white bread" feel.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,259 times
None of the above lol.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
NYC, followed by Los Angeles... this is basically an Airport Comparison...and LAX and JFK have many international flights...while Atlanta may have the largest airport it does not have many flights to Asia besides Seoul and Tokyo...DFW is same...many to Mexico and a fair amount to Europe...but only 2 to Asia...Tokyo and Seoul...HOU exact same as DFW except instead of Seoul, they have Beijing...which is sort of non-stop, you make a fuel stop i think...
but NYC has many flights to Europe, Canada, South America, the Caribbean, and a few to Asia...
just off of 'world traveler"

Old 03-12-2008, 11:02 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,562 times
Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.