Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 819 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I'm a single 20-something looking to escape the absurd cost of living of the Bay Area. I'm a math teacher with a master's degree and a couple years experience (but not enough experience to make me expensive,) so I'm not too worried about finding a job. I don't have much family, and my friends are all spread out, which puts me in awesome but strange position of being able to move anywhere, but not really knowing where to go.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Cost of Living: I'm leaving the Bay Area because it's way too expensive for me, so this is number one. Ideally, I want to be able to purchase a nice 3 bedroom home in a good area for under $400,000 (with maybe less nice homes in good areas for 100,000-200,000).

Weather: I'd like to be warm more often than it is cool. I've lived in Houston, Austin, Buffalo, and the SF Bay Area, so I can handle both extreme summers and extreme winters, but if I'm going to pick one, I want it to be warm.

Size: I don't want a "huge" city. And I know huge is relative, so that's a problem. But after consulting a nice list of metropolitan area sizes, I'm going with anything over 3 million is probably too large. I'd consider small towns as well, as long as there is decent proximity (less than an hour) to a larger city.

Less Important Things:

Politics: I'm moderately liberal, but I spent a considerable amount of time in Houston, so I don't anticipate culture shock moving from the BA to somewhere that leans red. I actually think it'd be really, really nice to be somewhere that is politically diverse enough that people don't just assume you agree with them when you start waxing poetic about Bernie, or comparing Obama to Satan.

Education: I really like learning new things, so I'm almost always taking some sort of class for fun. So far, I've taken classes in aerial fabrics, cake decorating, figure skating, real estate, construction, and interior design. Basically, are there community colleges nearby, how many, and do they offer more than just core classes?

Area: I am not opposed to South in general, but would like to avoid the Deep South, Texas, and the "hip" cities where people are flocking right now and costs are rising (Austin, Nashville, Denver, etc.)

I'd love any suggestions and ideas you have. Don't feel pressured to check all the boxes. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 07:48 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,138,149 times
Tallahassee, Florida.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:56 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,322,721 times
North Carolina could definitely be a fit. Specifically Raleigh & the suburbs/towns are there. It would definitely be doable within your $400K budget, plenty of jobs, decent amount to do, plus you wouldn't be too far from the mountains & ocean.

A good friend of mine just bought a brand new home, in a very nice neighborhood for $275K. And he picked a lot of custom options since it was a new build.

I get why you're leaving the Bay Area, my wife and I live in Pleasant Hill (East Bay) and will only be here until about this time next year, and we are relocating as well!

Old 06-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,579,302 times
Consider Phoenix?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:32 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,386,326 times
Greenville SC VisitGreenvilleSC Official Travel Source

Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 AM

27,153 posts, read 43,824,341 times
I too would suggest NC but rather than Raleigh, would opt for the Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro metro just thirty minutes to the west. it has more of a smaller town feel than Raleigh which has evolved into more the Sunbelt suburban sprawl type of place which doesn't offer up the character/soul in my opinion that exists in Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro, if that matters at all to you. I lived in Chapel Hill-Carrboro for several years and found the lifestyle pretty hard to beat with a friendly, well-educated population that's largely into the outdoors and passionate about the arts/music, local food/farmers markets and supporting great local restaurants, bars and shops. The Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district is among the top two in the state of NC but could be difficult to land a spot, however Orange County Public Schools or Durham County Public Schools should offer up options less than 30 minutes away.

http://www.carrboro.com/overview.shtml
Education | The ArtsCenter
http://www.durhamarts.org/classes.html
UNC-Chapel Hill Friday Center Professional Development and Enrichment Programs
North Carolina Botanical Garden / Education And Events / Adult Programs
https://learnmore.duke.edu/olli
https://www.durhamtech.edu/continuinged/index.htm

Old 06-26-2017, 11:47 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,127,051 times
Fayetteville, Arkansas. Metro 525k. Start-ups, hill-country, growing fast. Outdoors lifestyle, great culture.

#5 on Forbes Best Places this year. #3 in 2016.

In some ways, it is Austin 25 yrs ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.