U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 11:08 AM

5 posts, read 4,433 times

Advertisements

I have lived in the Pacific NW my whole life and would really like to just start over somewhere. I feel like I've narrowed it down to possibly the east coast somewhere. Fall and winter are my favorite seasons and as I get older the hot summers just aren't for me anymore. I have worked in medical billing for 18 years and currenly work for an insurance company. With that as my work back ground I feel like I should be able to find work most places. Any and all suggestions welcome!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:16 AM

78,523 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Where in the Pac NW are the summers hot? If you're in Eastern WA or Eastern OR, moving to the other side of the mountains, to the coastal area, would solve your problem. Moving to the East Coast wouldn't; the summers there are known to be insufferably hot and humid.

Your post doesn't make sense, OP. Maybe there's some other important info you've neglected to include, that could help us understand your thinking...?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-25-2017 at 12:32 PM..

Old 06-25-2017, 02:05 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newplease View Post
I have lived in the Pacific NW my whole life and would really like to just start over somewhere. I feel like I've narrowed it down to possibly the east coast somewhere. Fall and winter are my favorite seasons and as I get older the hot summers just aren't for me anymore. I have worked in medical billing for 18 years and currently work for an insurance company. With that as my work back ground I feel like I should be able to find work most places. Any and all suggestions welcome!
If you want out of that corner of the country and want to live someplace a little more centrally located with good job opportunity and manageable hot summers (three months or less) you might look at cities like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham or Richmond. All three have what is considered a moderate four season climate with plenty of sunshine and good job opportunities within the insurance field.

Old 06-25-2017, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,433 times
Thank you, that area has been somewhere I was looking at.

Old 06-25-2017, 04:49 PM

24,963 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If you want out of that corner of the country and want to live someplace a little more centrally located with good job opportunity and manageable hot summers (three months or less) you might look at cities like Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham or Richmond. All three have what is considered a moderate four season climate with plenty of sunshine and good job opportunities within the insurance field.
Moderate? It's really hot and humid late spring until fall.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:37 PM

78,523 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newplease View Post
Thank you, that area has been somewhere I was looking at.
It's hot and humid in the summers, though. You'd be much better off, climate-wise, in western OR or WA.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,199,603 times
Yeah, I don't consider NC summers to be manageable. Maybe in comparison to Miami.... 90+ and high humidity. I went into hibernation mode during the summer when I lived there. I would often wait until nighttime to grocery shop and the heat/humidity was still enough to take your breath away while walking across the parking lot.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:17 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
If you like Fall and Winter, are looking east and want something affordable, perhaps Interior Northeastern areas like Pittsburgh, Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, Harrisburg/York/Lancaster and maybe Scranton-Wilkes Barre in PA. In NY State, Albany-Schenectady-Troy, Utica-Rome, Binghamton, Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo may work.

A sleeper in NY and one that may give that "Pacific NW feel" is Plattsburgh. It is a small area, but has quite a few outdoor amenities, below average/average cost of living and its close proximity to Montreal and Burlington VT may appeal to some. Champlain Valley Physicians Hospital is a part of the University of Vermont System and may be a place in the area to look for employment. Average annual snowfall is about 55-60 inches and is generally similar for parts of eastern Upstate NY State(I.e.- Albany area). As a frame of reference, Plattsburgh is similar to areas like Pullman WA or Moscow ID, but with a lake and mountains in the area like Coeur d'Alene ID. http://goadirondack.com

Western Massachusetts around Pittsfield may be another option. Same for NW Connecticut around Torrington.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM

4,083 posts, read 3,295,987 times
Maybe someplace in the Northeast/New England? Connecticut, Vermont, Cape Cod, Long Island, upstate NY?

I can assure you Raleigh and Charlotte have long, hot, and very humid summers.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:01 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Summers in the South are not that tough, don't be a weather wimp people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or