U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 PM

17,315 posts, read 19,591,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Also assuming you've hardly ever been there since you lived there as a child, would you:

A) all five days in NYC

B) three days in NYC, take train to Philadelphia for two days

C) split up time evenly between NYC, Philadelphia, and D.C.

Trying to figure out if NYC makes these other cities redundant, insight? Thanks fam.
I recommend:

3 days NYC
2 days DC

Those are the 2 east coast cities you should see first, as they are the financial and political headquarters.

Philly is very good too, but I think it's better to see it after NYC and DC. Do it on the next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,162,756 times
If Baltimore isn't included, then the trip is lackluster.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Not enough time.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:58 PM

25,095 posts, read 23,986,585 times
Quote:
I'm thinking take the train to Philly on the last morning and fly out from there in the evening. Three places that get hyped endlessly that I still can't muster the motivation to actually go to are Chicago, D.C., and Boston. I'm thinking D.C. will get the snub on this trip. I went to Mexico City in 2012 for five days and wasted most of the trip trying to figure basic stuff out. Won't make that mistake this time, I'm making a schedule down to the hour.
That would work. While I've been to NYC many times, and to DC half a dozen, I really like Philly. It depends upon your interests. You could spend a year in NY and barely scrape the surface, but it's the same in any major city.

Amtrak between cities, the slow train with a lot of stops, is quite interesting. At least to me, but I like weird stuff.

Old 06-25-2017, 10:01 PM

145 posts, read 104,700 times
What are you most interested in seeing/experiencing? For shopping, theater, museums I'd choose NYC (You could spend all 5 days just in the Metropolitan Museum of Art). However, both Washington, and Philadelphia are unique cities with things to offer the visitor that one can't find in NYC.

Here are just a few of Washington's attractions that can be found nowhere else:

*U.S. Capitol Building (tour starts in the grand new subterranean visitor's center at the Capitol's east front);
*White House and Supreme Court tours;
*The Library of Congress
*The National Archives (see originals of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights);
*Memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, WWII, Vietnam War, Korean War, M.L. King, Washington Monument, etc.)
*Ford's Theater and Museum
*Arlington National Cemetery; and
*Smithsonian Museums (Air & Space, American Indian, Natural History, American History, etc.--all free).

What sets Philadelphia apart is history. Just a few of Philly's attractions in Old City/Society Hill:

*Independence Hall (U.S. Park Service offers free tours--get tickets at Visitor's Center 6th and Market Sts.);
*Congress Hall (where U.S. Congress met when Philly was the U.S. Capital [1790-1800]);
*Liberty Bell Center;
*Carpenter's Hall (site of First Continental Congress--1774);
*President's House site
*Benjamin Franklin Museum and Home Site;
*Christ Church and Burial Ground;
*U.S. Constitution Center;
*Betsy Ross House;
*Museum of the American Revolution (just opened);
*United States Mint (free self-guided tours);
*Elfreth's Alley (oldest residential street in U.S.--1730s); and
*Valley Forge National Historical Site (20 miles west).

Plus Philly has other outstanding attractions--too numerous to list here.

Bottom line, you could spend five days in any of these three cities and just skim the surface of what they have to offer. I'd plan on several trips east if I were you!

Old 06-25-2017, 11:11 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,118,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTinPhilly View Post
What are you most interested in seeing/experiencing? For shopping, theater, museums I'd choose NYC (You could spend all 5 days just in the Metropolitan Museum of Art). However, both Washington, and Philadelphia are unique cities with things to offer the visitor that one can't find in NYC.

Here are just a few of Washington's attractions that can be found nowhere else:

*U.S. Capitol Building (tour starts in the grand new subterranean visitor's center at the Capitol's east front);
*White House and Supreme Court tours;
*The Library of Congress
*The National Archives (see originals of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights);
*Memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, FDR, WWII, Vietnam War, Korean War, M.L. King, Washington Monument, etc.)
*Ford's Theater and Museum
*Arlington National Cemetery; and
*Smithsonian Museums (Air & Space, American Indian, Natural History, American History, etc.--all free).

What sets Philadelphia apart is history. Just a few of Philly's attractions in Old City/Society Hill:

*Independence Hall (U.S. Park Service offers free tours--get tickets at Visitor's Center 6th and Market Sts.);
*Congress Hall (where U.S. Congress met when Philly was the U.S. Capital [1790-1800]);
*Liberty Bell Center;
*Carpenter's Hall (site of First Continental Congress--1774);
*President's House site
*Benjamin Franklin Museum and Home Site;
*Christ Church and Burial Ground;
*U.S. Constitution Center;
*Betsy Ross House;
*Museum of the American Revolution (just opened);
*United States Mint (free self-guided tours);
*Elfreth's Alley (oldest residential street in U.S.--1730s); and
*Valley Forge National Historical Site (20 miles west).

Plus Philly has other outstanding attractions--too numerous to list here.

Bottom line, you could spend five days in any of these three cities and just skim the surface of what they have to offer. I'd plan on several trips east if I were you!
First of all thanks for taking the time to respond in detail.

As of right now DC is really lagging in last place because it seems like I"m mostly looking at tourist stuff as opposed to getting into an adventure and meeting people as it seems would be possible in NYC. I'm from Pittsburgh and have never been to Philly other than airport which is kind of awkward, and I hear so many great things about Philly so that is tempting too. In southern California, even though San Diego sprawls out over 350+ miles, you really could hit all the key stuff in a few days as a tourist. Los Angeles, on the other hand, you could live there your entire life and not get to everything.

I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap private room AirBnb's are in Manhattan, btw.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:13 PM

1,325 posts, read 1,118,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I've heard great things about Baltimore too!! Decisions, decisions.

Old 06-26-2017, 04:05 AM

21,218 posts, read 30,435,315 times
Quote:
As of right now DC is really lagging in last place because it seems like I"m mostly looking at tourist stuff as opposed to getting into an adventure and meeting people as it seems would be possible in NYC.
That's an interesting thought process only in that DC is a city too with over 600K people who live there that socialize, eat out, go to bars and pursue varying interests many visitors also find appealing. It's not just a facade of monuments and government buildings.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
As of right now DC is really lagging in last place because it seems like I'm mostly looking at tourist stuff as opposed to getting into an adventure and meeting people as it seems would be possible in NYC.
DC has many places to meet people and socialize - 14th Street, Penn Quarter, DuPont Circle, Shaw, H Street, U Street, Georgetown, Adams Morgan, Capitol Hill, etc. As pointed out, the main problem you're going to face in any of these cities is lack of time. Prepare to be overwhelmed. And NYC is of course much bigger than any other city in America.

However, given that you've never been to Philly and it seems like you've been to DC, I think that tips the scale in Philly's favor.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-26-2017 at 05:55 AM..

Old 06-26-2017, 05:39 AM

22,190 posts, read 23,719,114 times
I'd do either do four days in NYC and one day/one evening in Philadelphia or all five in NYC. DC is a great place to visit and has a lot of interesting neighborhoods, but I think the relatively larger chunk of travel time in comparison and the fact that you've always wanted to go to Philadelphia makes a pretty good case for picking Philadelphia.

One interesting other possibility is turning a tail end of your trip into a beach day. If you're coming in the mid to late summer, then it might be worth a good side trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.