U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:52 AM

17,226 posts, read 19,525,937 times

Advertisements

I recommend a hop-on hop-off double-decker bus tour of these cities.

They give an impressive overview for first-time visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:13 AM

1,258 posts, read 697,703 times
I'd also try to do Boston if you have the time and haven't been there.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:35 AM

29,892 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
That's an interesting thought process only in that DC is a city too with over 600K people who live there that socialize, eat out, go to bars and pursue varying interests many visitors also find appealing. It's not just a facade of monuments and government buildings.
I think he probably means that most of the tourist attractions in DC are concentrated on the National Mall as opposed to being truly integrated within the urban fabric of the city.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:55 AM

1,310 posts, read 1,103,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think he probably means that most of the tourist attractions in DC are concentrated on the National Mall as opposed to being truly integrated within the urban fabric of the city.
No I actually thought that D.C. was just a collection of government buildings and monuments along a designated tourist strip. There's a city there too?

Seriously, I'm sure D.C. Is great too but the scenery just doesn't seem interesting enough....no coast, no high rises.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
No I actually thought that D.C. was just a collection of government buildings and monuments along a designated tourist strip. There's a city there too?

Seriously, I'm sure D.C. Is great too but the scenery just doesn't seem interesting enough....no coast, no high rises.
Philly doesn't have a coast either. And highrises can be nice to gawk at, but that in and of itself doesn't make for interesting scenery IMO. DC provides a great pedestrian experience and that's what ultimately matters.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:24 AM

9,422 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
First of all thanks for taking the time to respond in detail.

As of right now DC is really lagging in last place because it seems like I"m mostly looking at tourist stuff as opposed to getting into an adventure and meeting people as it seems would be possible in NYC. I'm from Pittsburgh and have never been to Philly other than airport which is kind of awkward, and I hear so many great things about Philly so that is tempting too. In southern California, even though San Diego sprawls out over 350+ miles, you really could hit all the key stuff in a few days as a tourist. Los Angeles, on the other hand, you could live there your entire life and not get to everything.

I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap private room AirBnb's are in Manhattan, btw.
The historic tourist spots in Philadelphia are obviously a big draw to the city. But most of the people you will see in those locations will be other tourists, not Philadelphians. If you do happen to visit Philly try to make a point of going to where you will meet/see actually Philadelphians in, maybe, Rittenhouse Sq or Dilworth Park.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:00 PM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:

Quote:
Philly doesn't have a coast either. And highrises can be nice to gawk at, but that in and of itself doesn't make for interesting scenery IMO. DC provides a great pedestrian experience and that's what ultimately matters.
I agree, a fascinating perspective for sure. DC has some amazing sights/things to do that equal or exceed any other US city, but somehow perception sometimes seems more certain than reality...

Old 06-26-2017, 12:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Each of these cities take closer to a week to see close to everything. It doesn't make sense to leave NYC for one or two days unless there is something completely epic going on in Philly or DC. You're not going to experience much of a difference in Philly than New York honestly, it's all urbanity all the time in both. DC has more a monumental setting, but it still may not be worth just a 1 day trip. You're better off going to the Jersey shore or hanging out on Long Island to get a greater experience of the NYC metro.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,976 posts, read 3,450,579 times
Quote:
I think DC gives a tourist a better contrast on a quick trip to NYC than Philadelphia would. Everything you would look to get in Philly you can get in one of the five boroughs of NYC for the most part. Philadelphia no doubt has tons to see, but how much different is that from what your getting plus more of it in NYC? The one thing I will say is about location. If time is an issue, then it makes more sense for Philly.

Old 06-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think DC gives a tourist a better contrast on a quick trip to NYC than Philadelphia would. Everything you would look to get in Philly you can get in one of the five boroughs of NYC for the most part. Philadelphia no doubt has tons to see, but how much different is that from what your getting plus more of it in NYC? The one thing I will say is about location. If time is an issue, then it makes more sense for Philly.
I think the draw for Philly would be its specific attractions relative to the birth/early years of the U.S. in particular but in terms of experience, you're right. Still worth a visit but I agree that NYC, DC, and Philly should all have a couple of days dedicated to them for tourism/exploration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.