U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:20 AM

22,127 posts, read 23,642,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Other than airfare and AirBnb, what are the big expenses? I'm assuming they have Metro day passes like Los Angeles for getting around.
Food can be expensive, but that really depends on you and your preferences. The bus and subway have week long unlimited ride passes (no dailies). If you think you'll be scooting around by bus and subway a lot and not by taxi, then it's a good deal for you. I think aside from how many things you go to that require admissions price, how often you take taxis, and how upscale your food and drink are going to be, the costs can be manageable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Other than airfare and AirBnb, what are the big expenses?
I assume you're going to want to visit some of the iconic sites in NYC to make your stay worthwhile. Most of these attractions have fees. There is more shopping and dining in Manhattan than you can count. If you want to see a Broadway show, that's going to cost money too.

I haven't used it before, but you might want to look into getting a New York Pass.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/

Old 06-28-2017, 01:46 PM

12,578 posts, read 15,046,057 times
NYC and DC.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM

308 posts, read 186,349 times
I would do all 5 days in NYC if you've never spent any time there as an adult. The last thing you want is to feel like you had an incomplete experience there. It's easy to feel that way just because of the massive scale of things to do and places to see there. I recommend you plan wisely but it's also fun to explore a lot of times without a plan.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:23 AM

17,234 posts, read 19,531,226 times
Quote:
Never been to DC, not even the airport.
Well, it's one of the iconic American cities. It has a lot of free attractions near the Mall that are worth seeing.

Do it on another trip if you can't make it this time.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 AM

32,063 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I assume you're going to want to visit some of the iconic sites in NYC to make your stay worthwhile. Most of these attractions have fees. There is more shopping and dining in Manhattan than you can count. If you want to see a Broadway show, that's going to cost money too.

I haven't used it before, but you might want to look into getting a New York Pass.

https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/
The Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Museum of Natural History have a suggested contribution (meaning pay as much as you wish) rather than a fixed admission. Also many people take the free Staten Island ferry for a great photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty rather than paying for Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:13 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,021,167 times
If you put your mind to it, you can do NYC on the cheap without sacrificing much. You can get day subway passes, eat at local non-tourist places, or eat street food which can be quite good. Or buy stuff at deli's and make your own meal.
You can go to the Met Museum for $1. You do not ever have to pay the full asking price although it seems like you are pressured to.
You can walk everywhere. Walk Rockefeller Center and the skyscraper dense areas of midtown or downtown. Walk the Village. Buy some Italian pastries. You can see the 9/11 sight by foot, you HAVE to walk the Brooklyn Bridge for the best views of NYC.
You can go to free concerts given around town.
You can walk through Central Park.
If you want to escape the toursist crowds, then head to Brooklyn. Walk the beautiful streets of Brooklyn Heights and see the Promenade overlooking the harbor. Walk in Park Slope and beautiful Prospect Park. Eat kosher food in Borough Park, hot dogs in Coney Island, Caribbean food in Crown Heights, Italian food in the Saturday Night Fever neighborhood of Bensonhurst.

There are practically no limitations on things you can do without paying, or paying little.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:32 PM

35 posts, read 18,029 times
All 5 in New York, only because it's such a massively large city.

90% of the tourists stick to 20% of the city to visit. It's hilarious. Nobody ever ventures out to the other boroughs. I understand you need reasons, but 90% of tourists just stick to Manhattan.

5 days in Philadelphia isn't even enough either, but Philadelphia is much smaller and easier to get around no question.

You'll obviously cover more in 5 days in Philadelphia than you would 5 days in New York.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:26 PM

1,308 posts, read 1,104,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
If you put your mind to it, you can do NYC on the cheap without sacrificing much. You can get day subway passes, eat at local non-tourist places, or eat street food which can be quite good. Or buy stuff at deli's and make your own meal.
You can go to the Met Museum for $1. You do not ever have to pay the full asking price although it seems like you are pressured to.
You can walk everywhere. Walk Rockefeller Center and the skyscraper dense areas of midtown or downtown. Walk the Village. Buy some Italian pastries. You can see the 9/11 sight by foot, you HAVE to walk the Brooklyn Bridge for the best views of NYC.
You can go to free concerts given around town.
You can walk through Central Park.
If you want to escape the toursist crowds, then head to Brooklyn. Walk the beautiful streets of Brooklyn Heights and see the Promenade overlooking the harbor. Walk in Park Slope and beautiful Prospect Park. Eat kosher food in Borough Park, hot dogs in Coney Island, Caribbean food in Crown Heights, Italian food in the Saturday Night Fever neighborhood of Bensonhurst.

There are practically no limitations on things you can do without paying, or paying little.
This is more what I had in mind. Lots of things in Los Angeles that are free or dirt cheap. I assumed NYC would be like this times 10.

I'm assuming Staten Island is a skip, right (sorry)? I want to hit up Queens/LI to see some of the places I lived as a four year old.

Some of my inspirations to want to visit NYC are Scorsese's "After Hours", Andy Warhol (I am a Pittsburgh native and big into this). Which neighborhoods would evoke those vibes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.