Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Colorado, for many reasons, including: very different culture, weird office/work environment, cold/Darwinian attitudes, very little variety and cultural richness (including thought, food, culinary, music), no issue with spending more than necessary on basically everything, no effort towards widening roads (will happily sit in traffic as it gets worse and worse and takes away more personal time), etc.
Hey, I resemble that remark. Some of it quite true. I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Utah, Salt Lake, and "The Mormons" yet. Usually a thread like this starts off with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark. Some of it quite true. I'm surprised that nobody has brought up Utah, Salt Lake, and "The Mormons" yet. Usually a thread like this starts off with that
The remark about weird office / work environment in CO is dead on. Never had so many blank faced stares in my life working for a large company in CO.

Utah? Forget it. Unless you're Mormon White Trash nobody fits in.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:58 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
The remark about weird office / work environment in CO is dead on. Never had so many blank faced stares in my life working for a large company in CO.

Thanks. I encountered that in a small company (6 people), medium company (60), and large company (~500). Uggh.

Good to know about Utah as well. Interesting that you mentioned it, because the town where I live in CO is increasing in Mormon numbers. They even built a big ugly temple here (looks like a creepy mausoleum). Kids on bikes and on foot are fanning out across the city, sharing their "wisdom" and "truths" with older folk. We're so lucky that the kids are enlightening us! LOL I'm turning away from the west anyway, so I can treasure the humor and weirdness of it all...

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-27-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 11:16 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
My current home, Denver I can feel out of place sometimes. Work comes first to me and to many here it comes second - lot's of lazy people that are adrenaline junkies and drug attics. I can easily stick out as a sore thumb as I'm not heavily bearded with tattoos and overweight for a nearly 30 year old male.

I don't think I've felt more out of place in a city like Minneapolis though. That's a city where if you don't have a certain white bread skin type and act in a certain mild mannered fashion, the locals will judge you. Bunch of hicks up there, IMHO.

I also would say I wouldn't look the type to "fit in" necessarily in Dallas or Houston, every time I'm down there for work I seem to really relate well to the locals at business meetings. I like it down there overall.

My former home, Los Angeles I felt right as home. Which is funny because I know the city rubs so many people the wrong way and I'm complaining about 2 cities that people easily feel right at home in ;-)
You're a typical North Jersey person, insinuating that everyplace outside NYC/North Jersey is the boonies and filled with lazy hicks.

Please, spare me.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure all of the non-Mormon transplants to Utah over on the Salt Lake City forum would beg to differ with you. Almost every one of them can't find enough good things to say about Utah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Good to know about Utah as well. Interesting that you mentioned it, because the town where I live in CO is increasing in Mormon numbers. They even built a big ugly temple here (looks like a creepy mausoleum). Kids on bikes and on foot are fanning out across the city, sharing their "wisdom" and "truths" with older folk.
Wow, bigotry is certainly alive and well in Colorado. I'm sure it's not just Mormons you hate, though. You just come across as someone who kind of looks down on most of the rest of humanity. Something tells me a few people in Colorado won't be all that sorry to see you leave.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:22 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow, bigotry is certainly alive and well in Colorado.
You're right. I talked with those I mentioned, and they only approve of basically one type of person and one way of life. Many of the newcomers to town reflect that also, to some degree. The old-timers and natives in town though represent the lost Colorado that I remember from visiting decades ago, and are more open to different types of people, including color of skin, and aren't trying to change others lives and beliefs.

It doesn't matter what I say though; the people here and their actions speak for themselves. I don't care if the entire earth disagrees with what I've pointed out. I know what I've seen and encountered, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-27-2017 at 11:31 AM..

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
You're a typical North Jersey person, insinuating that everyplace outside NYC/North Jersey is the boonies and filled with lazy hicks.

Please, spare me.
You know, I would but think is it's actually more than just words - it's actually real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_nice

Wake up!

Old 06-27-2017, 11:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
I was born in Wisconsin and lived their my first ten years. I thought I missed it and moved back for college. It was too hardcore of a drinking culture for me and I transferred after a year. It could have been the particular school I went to (UW-Oshkosh) but Wisconsin normally ranks #1 in the U.S for binge drinking according to the CDC.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Small town in NW Georgia- Lafayette. Unless you were from there, people were very unfriendly. I lived in 4 other towns in that part of the state, and the others were fine.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:12 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
I recently went to Walmart in the city of Cleveland. Nearly everyone there was African-American or Latino. People were just there to shop so I was comfortable and didn't have a negative experience but I clearly stood out in terms of attire and I am not used to being the only white person in a public space, especially where I live and go out in Columbus. Made me think how people of color feel in all or mostly white environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.