U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:21 PM

1,011 posts, read 639,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I recently went to Walmart in the city of Cleveland. Nearly everyone there was African-American or Latino. People were just there to shop so I was comfortable and didn't have a negative experience but I clearly stood out in terms of attire and I am not used to being the only white person in a public space, especially where I live and go out in Columbus. Made me think how people of color feel in all or mostly white environments.
Or how white people feel in California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 04:34 PM

760 posts, read 588,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N610DL View Post
You know, I would but think is it's actually more than just words - it's actually real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_nice

Wake up!
It is not real.

It has to do with your attitude and mindset. When I moved there, I had the same negative attitude about the Minnesota Nice and passive aggressiveness. Yeah, I had a pretty hard time meeting people and making friends. But then I realized it was all about my attitude. If you are a friendly person, you will make friends.

Usually, people don't want to befriend someone who is constantly talking down their city or the people. I made this exact mistake without realizing it.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,137,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
It is not real.

It has to do with your attitude and mindset. When I moved there, I had the same negative attitude about the Minnesota Nice and passive aggressiveness. Yeah, I had a pretty hard time meeting people and making friends. But then I realized it was all about my attitude. If you are a friendly person, you will make friends.

Usually, people don't want to befriend someone who is constantly talking down their city or the people. I made this exact mistake without realizing it.
Respectfully disagree. It's definitely real, but not represented by the entire population (as I said in another thread, some people from this area make an extra effort to NOT be this way.)

I can safely say this because I worked for a company in California that was a acquired by an MSP-based firm. At first, things were smooth - we were promised a lot but a little over a year later the passive aggressive messaging was written on the wall. They promoted me at first, but forced me only to secretly train up an admin to take my job (also she was Asian, which MN corporate people think are natural prodigies).

With no written feedback, this was definitely against California labor law and I almost sued. They basically paid me to leave - I took the money and ran to another job with a much higher salary. Good Riddance.

Since then, I know at least of half a dozen people, most from MN (and good people) that got forced out for no apparently reason by these idiot MN corporate types. They all went to other competitors. Essentially that company was a cult, but everyone who got terminated were for total bulls*** fake explanations.

I'll tell you what, I might be an aggressive guy from the Northeast but let me tell you, this kind of passive aggressive crap had it been not 1,300 miles away would have made me sucker punch my boss. We don't backstab, and if it happens at the very least it means having a beer bottle broken over the head.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:41 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
One of the only times I felt weirded out was when I flew into Springfield, MO and then drove to Mountain Home, AK for a few days to visit a friend. People seemed so religious and just off a bit, curious about us, etc in a judgy way. I didn't feel very welcome, I was happy when we left.
I would agree with Arkansas. There is a fake, cloying sweetness with undercurrents of banjo music. The Bible Belt is creepy in general but it takes on a whole new dimension there. Much the same with southwest Missouri -- Springfield, Branson, etc. I was raised in Missouri and you can feel the increasing intensity of the fake judgmental holiness as you move in that direction.

I've had reason to be in all the major cities in Texas and in several small ones. For reasons I can't really explain, I can't abide Texas. I've tried to find a way to tolerate it and find a place where it didn't turn my stomach but to no avail. When I'm there I can't wait to get away. Being out in west Texas or in some of the Hill Country is not so bad...maybe not many Texans there? I can't point to one thing that makes it so dislikable but it is a combination of many things that I can't get past.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:57 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I recently went to Walmart in the city of Cleveland. Nearly everyone there was African-American or Latino. People were just there to shop so I was comfortable and didn't have a negative experience but I clearly stood out in terms of attire and I am not used to being the only white person in a public space, especially where I live and go out in Columbus. Made me think how people of color feel in all or mostly white environments.
Yep, this is how it is in 80% of America. So I feel out of place alot now that I think about it. Seattle just happened to stick out.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:45 PM

12,574 posts, read 15,041,157 times
New Orleans, for a business trip. Folks there outwardly expressed that they preferred dealing with "local boys".

Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
I felt out of place in rural Northern New Mexico when our guide was bashing Texans.I am a Native Texan.I also felt out of place for the same reason in Colorado around Denver.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Aw it will be ok guys. Watch this video to receive your official lifetime Miami debriefing.

https://youtu.be/o29BLXFU-oA

Those are some awesome views! Still doesn't change that Miami sucks to live in lol.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:14 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,379,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Not too much in this country; probably the most out-of-place I felt was in Gatlinburg TN. Just a whole lot of obese white folks waddling from steakhouse to country diner. I really didn't see the appeal of the place, and it probably was magnified because I lived in California at the time.

When I lived in Miami and vacationed in Gatlinburg, I felt more at home up there than back in Miami. Though to really enjoy east Tennessee you gotta go up and rent a cabin in the mountains. Gatlinburg is where we went to eat and ski.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 6,087,367 times
Memphis Tennessee was very religious to the point of being cult like. I could never adjust to the city and make friends. I felt like a fish out of water.

In the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, I was called the N word on several occasions in a aggressive way. Very weird and extremely backward.

I can add to that downtown St Louis when 50k cardinal freeks are roaming around with no clue and scared to death. Nothing hostile or out of place but a strange energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.