U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:55 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,169,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Not too much in this country; probably the most out-of-place I felt was in Gatlinburg TN. Just a whole lot of obese white folks waddling from steakhouse to country diner. I really didn't see the appeal of the place, and it probably was magnified because I lived in California at the time.
LMAO the smokies are awesome but that made me laugh, you def see some odd looking white people in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge is even worse but it a fun family vacation and really cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 04:32 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,658,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I felt extremely out of place in New Jersey, the Washington DC area and Southern California when visiting or going to school in these places.

I felt at home in suburban Baltimore, suburban New Orleans, suburban Baton Rouge, and in the Charleston, West Virginia area. I am Asian American like a previous poster but I am also a native Southerner and fit in best in the South culturally, religiously, politically and in terms of my outlook and pace of living. I still believe in Southern hospitality and a sense of community and getting to know people while the DC area and California were extremely elitist, anti-social, unfriendly and also very un-accepting to any views outside the PC left wing. I happen to be a conservative Christian and a Republican as well who grew up in a working class family.

Most of my friends honestly have been white working class, oftentimes rural people. I found West Virginia to be particularly accepting to newcomers if you respect the way of life and just adapt to the culture there. In terms of food and music I particularly feel I belong in Louisiana and in the South in general. In the DC area and California they would be "disgusted" by things like country fried steak, fried catfish, sweet tea, would look down on drinking Bud Light and Coors etc and some of the areas had nanny state laws dictating what ingredients restaurants are even allowed to cook with. A lot of people I met from DC and California looked down on me for being a Christian, for liking things like Waffle House and Denny's, for listening to country music, shopping at Walmart etc. They are also the ones who tell me because I'm a minority I shouldn't listen to country music, shouldn't have Southern pride, shouldn't be a Republican etc etc.
I don't want to get too political but I know exactly what you're talking about. Close minded liberals are the worst.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 1,225,039 times
Chicago. I could never adjust.

I don't know why. I am Swedish and a lot of my relatives settled in the midwest because the climate is similar. I had heard the city was great but I always felt out of place. It was like wearing shoes that were too tight. I was happy to leave.

Also West Virginia. I have a slight accent on certain words and I never got questioned about it for 20 years of being in the US until I was there for a conference. I have never felt so uncomfortably foreign.

Atlanta also just never did it for me.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 PM

4,986 posts, read 3,477,182 times
Albuquerque, NM. I went there with a dream & felt so out of place. It was many years ago so I try not to think it's the same but having lived in Minneapolis for many years & working with people from all different cultures, I was appalled at the prejudice I saw.

I moved from there to San Francisco where I fit in marvellously. Unfortunately, I went back home after 3 years & couldn't possibly afford to live there anymore.

I'm planning on visiting Tennessee soon & hope I'll fit in there, although I'm still investigating other areas.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:47 PM

12,265 posts, read 18,036,433 times
yeah..in Lawton , Oklahoma

Old 07-01-2017, 09:01 PM

2,998 posts, read 4,709,816 times
South Carolina

Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 PM

776 posts, read 652,653 times
anywhere with lots of people
being an introvert I feel socially awkward around crowds

Old 07-09-2017, 09:32 AM

1,347 posts, read 2,681,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I felt out of place in Los Angeles. The whole time I was there, I felt uneasy; the whole city seemed to give off an unpleasant vibe. On par with the movie cliche, with the words "GET OUT" written in red paint on a cinder block wall. I'm not sure what exactly triggered the feeling . Just the overall vibe I got, I guess.
"
I felt EXACTLY like this when I lived in Phoenix.

Old 07-09-2017, 12:31 PM

4,502 posts, read 2,688,857 times
In 4th grade I moved from central Seattle to suburban Boise. I'd gone to schools that were a mix of white (incl. me), black, and Asian and my best friend was black. Then suburban Boise...guessing 2% nonwhite at school (around 1980). N-words, not all the time but enough. And definitely a culture of "they're not us." A few years later we moved to the center of Boise which is much better in every way though still not very diverse.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:22 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,271,019 times
Jackson, TN area- People were superficially friendly yet very judgemental. There was definitely the strong sense that people didn't really want to deal with you unless you were from the area and preferably had a last name that was prominent; very cliquish. Nobody seemed interested in anything other than food and going to church. For some reason, all events were scheduled in summer and people stayed indoors in fall and winter--which were the only times the weather was halfway tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.