Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:37 PM

4,394 posts, read 4,281,158 times

Advertisements

Just wondering how many people have ever felt extremely out of place anywhere. If so what area where they in and what made them feel out of place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 09:27 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Yea, in my hometown; Miami.

Don't care for the weather, the clubs, the materialism, the music scene, the architecture..

Really the beach was it. When I was at the beach or in the ocean, I was in my zone. Otherwise, nope.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Don't care for the weather, the clubs, the materialism, the music scene, the architecture..

Really the beach was it. When I was at the beach or in the ocean, I was in my zone. Otherwise, nope.
Miami is one of my least favorite US cities, only positive is the awesome Cuban food. I like four seasons could never live in Florida.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I never adjusted to Charlotte. The only thing that seemed important there was money and whether you had seen the latest movie or your child had the latest toy. Moved to Union County and felt at home the first week here. That was more than 40 years ago and we still love it here.

Most of our neighbors here probably have much more money than those we lived around in Charlotte. They just have a different set of values.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:53 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I am Chinese-American. I've never felt too out of place but a few times that really stood out were a 3-day work trip to Starkville, MS, and a few occasions just traveling through very rural towns in FL and GA. I wasn't too uncomfortable, but I was stared at a lot more than normal.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Miami is one of my least favorite US cities, only positive is the awesome Cuban food. I like four seasons could never live in Florida.

Same here. It takes a certain person to LOVE Miami. I am not that certain person. There's three different friends of mine that I have taken to Miami for their first time, (all native Texans) only one of them likes the city for what it is. The others hated its bad drivers, rudeness and language barriers. They also think the houses look ugly (stucco exteriors) and I don't disagree. The other one? Well she's got the hots for a Cuban stepbrother of mine who is FOB lol. Plus she was obsessed with the palm trees!

Oh, and I much prefer Mexican food, but Cuban desserts are the bomb! I love 4 distinct seasons, too. Thats one reason I'm moving to Minnesota.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:02 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post

Aw it will be ok guys. Watch this video to receive your official lifetime Miami debriefing.

https://youtu.be/o29BLXFU-oA

Last edited by pinytr; 06-26-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 06-26-2017, 10:05 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
I currently do in the San Francisco area. I'm more conservative than liberal, and that's a big no-no here. It's very "in your face" Liberal way or no way here. But I think it's funny more than anything.

Another reason I feel out of place, is I simply don't have family here, and it's definitely not the laid back, country setting I am used to/from

Old 06-26-2017, 10:21 PM

75 posts, read 89,688 times
I live in Seattle and I always feel out of place here.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:13 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Not too much in this country; probably the most out-of-place I felt was in Gatlinburg TN. Just a whole lot of obese white folks waddling from steakhouse to country diner. I really didn't see the appeal of the place, and it probably was magnified because I lived in California at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.