Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:25 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times

Advertisements

I'm a former military brat and then wife, so I've lived in a lot of very different places. And traveled to a lot more. So I do have some life experience that generally allows me to feel comfortable in just about any setting.

HOWEVER, I've lived in a few places that I just did not ever feel at home in. They are, in no particular order:

Fort Hood, TX - Ugh. I really dislike Killeen and the surrounding area. This was a surprise to me because overall I really like Texas and I also like the Hill Country. But Killeen and Fort Hood were just so UGLY and hot and dusty. The whole place felt transient to me. It felt like it had no soul, no natives, no real personality, like it was just a sandy, dirty, unfriendly area.

Connecticut - OK, I have not lived there, but it was an area that left me surprised at the unfriendliness of the people in general. My husband (who has lived and worked all over the world - in at least 42 countries) and I are well traveled and are not ignorant people. We speak with a Texas twang because he's a native Texan and I have lived here for 25 years. Wherever we went - WHEREVER we went in CT - as soon as we started speaking, the person we were speaking to would begin to look at us with something close to pity, mixed in with disdain and would often start talking to us very slowly, as if we were mentally challenged or something. I remember we went up to the counter to order some tea at a sandwich shop one time and there was something slightly confusing about the tea - I can't even remember what now, it was so trivial - and I sort of laughed and said, "Oh, I'm sorry - my bad" and instead of the usual Southern/friendly response I was used to, the waiter AND the people in line behind me began muttering and rolling their eyes - it was ridiculous. It didn't make ME feel stupid - it made me simply think they were rude and pretentious.

Small, rural towns - A couple of times over the course of my life, I've lived in small, rural towns. I never felt like I fit in - a newcomer in a town where anyone who lived there went to school from kindergarten to high school graduation with the same clique of people. I am not from a rural background - I don't know how to run a trot line and I've never killed a rattle snake and if there's a mouse in my house I'm getting out of there till someone else comes and kills it for me. I don't know how to clean a fish and I never want to learn how. I've never driven a four wheeler. I don't like hunting or camping. But most of all, I don't care if your granddaddy was a charter member of the First United Methodist Church or if your great grandmother inherited the bootlegging fortune and married the governor's youngest son and they lived in that big house on the square. I could not care less and it doesn't make you any more important in my eyes. So yeah - not a fit for me. North, south, east or west - small rural towns seem to have a lot of similarities.

Colorado Springs, CO - very weird vibe to me. As someone else said earlier, I found out that I am not a big bad mountain range sort of person. Not my thing.

St. Louis, MO - I never lived there but I have visited several times. There seems to be a really bad issue with racism there. Maybe I'm wrong but I am used to the easy camaraderie between races that I've enjoyed so much in my many years of affiliation with military towns and the south and Texas (Texas is one of I think only three or four states that is a minority/majority state - where white non Hispanic folks, while the largest single demographic group, make up less than 50 percent of the population). St Louis seems really racially divided to me and the races don't seem to be particularly friendly or comfortable with each other. I don't like that.

Philadelphia, PA - I just haven't experienced very friendly folks there. Terrible customer service as well. Didn't seem like a very "user friendly" city.

Salt Lake City, UT - wow, it was like a pretend city or something. People were not unfriendly but it felt sort of Stepford Wives to me.

Places that I've loved and fit right in to:

Hampton Roads area of Virginia
Baltimore and Maryland in general
Maine - the whole state
New Orleans (but I don't particularly like the small towns in south Louisiana - very weird feel to many of them)
Atlanta and Columbus, GA
Fort Worth, TX
Tyler, TX
Texas Hill Country
Surprisingly -Oklahoma City, OK - super friendly people there
Another pleasant surprise - Dayton, OH
And another pleasant surprise - Springfield, MO

World wise - I loved England immediately and felt very much at home there and comfortable, in both the big city of London and the countryside of Yorkshire and everywhere in between. I also felt comfortable in the mid size cities of Germany. I'm generally not a big city lover (which is why loving London really surprised me) but I felt very comfortable and at home in mid sized German and Belgian and Dutch towns. Not so much in France or Austria.

I could go on but that's enough for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 03:56 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
I don't know if out of place is the right word but I spent about 3 hours in Gallup, NM and never saw another Anglo. Pretty much everyone downtown and all the businesses were Navajo.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:56 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,809,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavoperes View Post
WTF I have heard the exact opposite...

anyone mind clearing this up? I think he is BSing us.
People who live in Minneapolis proper want it to be a big city Santa Cruz, people in the exurbs love Michelle Bachmann. It is a very split metro, so your reaction depends on who you are around.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:12 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
I felt EXACTLY like this when I lived in Phoenix.
Very interesting. Care to share what gave you that "get out!" feeling in Phoenix?

In my case, if I had to pick a physical trait, it'd be the general flatness of the city. By "flat", I mean buildings, not land. LA felt overwhelmingly suburban: huge expressways, one-story buildings in a sea of parking lots, lack of that historic look and feel, and a gridlocked traffic jam. Although the biggest contributor was still non-physical: me "knowing" that I'd never fit in there. Like a kale-eating, bike-riding, latte-sipping hipster in a Texas small town.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:11 AM

1,849 posts, read 1,807,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Chicago. I could never adjust.

I don't know why. I am Swedish and a lot of my relatives settled in the midwest because the climate is similar. I had heard the city was great but I always felt out of place. It was like wearing shoes that were too tight. I was happy to leave.

Also West Virginia. I have a slight accent on certain words and I never got questioned about it for 20 years of being in the US until I was there for a conference. I have never felt so uncomfortably foreign.

Atlanta also just never did it for me.
Ever try Boston? Apparently a lot of Swedes up there

Old 07-11-2017, 12:48 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Salt Lake City, UT - wow, it was like a pretend city or something. People were not unfriendly but it felt sort of Stepford Wives to me.
Yeah, watch out for them big, scary MORMONS!!

Old 07-11-2017, 01:45 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,751,401 times
Anywhere outside the north-central U.S.
There might be places out west, but I'm not as well-travelled out there. My limited experience didn't look promising though.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Yeah, watch out for them big, scary MORMONS!!
Yup, that would be me: One Big Scary Stepford Wife Mormon.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:31 AM

360 posts, read 372,055 times
Eugene Oregon.

Old 07-13-2017, 08:42 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I live in an Orlando suburb (not by choice, family obligations) and have always felt like the square peg in a round hole here after now in this area for the third time over 30 years. While supposedly progressive if one looks at voting records it's basically not and more/less a cultural vacuum with little interest or respect for intellect, plus as a "foodie" pretty much hellish in terms of interest, as the farm-to-table movement for instance has yet to take off here despite a national trend the past couple decades. Factor in the weather (over 85 degrees and wilting humidity 8 to 9 months of the year) and it's baffling how so many can't wait to move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.