Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

369 posts, read 2,160,011 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out where I should move next! Let me tell you a little about myself. I'm a 24 year old male. I hold an electrical license in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I grew up on the outskirts of Boston, Ma.

I love the city of Boston. I loved how their was always something going on.. You could always make something out of nothing in Boston. Also, no matter what you wanted to do, Boston had it in some way, shape, or form.

I decided to leave home due to the cost of living and crappy weather.. I decided to move to Phoenix, AZ. I selected Phoenix because of all the sunshine, and the low cost of living. I made the mistake of staying at AWESOME resorts both times I went to visit Phoenix before the move. Phoenix came off to me as a paradise.. I couldn't get there soon enough!

Long story short, I'm not in love with Phoenix as much as I thought I'd be. I love the sunshine and the heat really doesn't bother me. It's the lack of culture, boringness, dust, mormons (no offence), illegal's, the sprawl, and really sketchy electrical contractors out here that have me wanting out of this place!

I hated doing electrical work out here so much that I decided to take a job in a prison for the time being. It pays the bills and I don't have to worry about this damn economy!

I'm thinking about getting out of here in March of 2010... That's when the lease expires. I'm wondering where I should go next. I was thinking about Denver, CO. as I have heard some good things about that city and it would be an easy move for me. Also, my NH electrical license would reciprocate to CO.

I just want to live in a city that I could make a good living as an electrician. I want the state to have an ELECTRICAL BOARD that issues electrical licenses. Arizona doesn't have electrical licenses anyone and everyone could call themselves an electrician. It's scary!

I'd like to live in a city that actually has a pulse. A centralized fun downtown would be a plus to. Like I said, I wasn't to fond of New England's winter.. Mild winters would be a plus, but not required. I could deal with crappy winter again, but would hate to pay TOP DOLLAR to do so.. As I would have had to do in Massachusetts.

I know this is a vague question.. But I'm just trying to generate some ideas.. Anyone have any suggestions? A friend of mine has told me to try looking in the suburbs of Philly.. I wonder how affordable that location would be..

I guess I want to move to a place where I could afford to live within 15 miles of a fun and interesting city and not be a slave to my mortgage.. Anyways, thanks for your time.. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say...

-Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:31 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,486,631 times
I was about to ask you to come to Knoxville until I read this:

"I could make a good living as an electrician" Cause I want to build inexpensive little houses and could use an electrician.

Could you consider making a decent living if the cost of living was low?

Can you handle humidity? If so it might be a match for what you are looking for.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 AM

596 posts, read 1,699,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out where I should move next! Let me tell you a little about myself. I'm a 24 year old male. I hold an electrical license in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I grew up on the outskirts of Boston, Ma.

I love the city of Boston. I loved how their was always something going on.. You could always make something out of nothing in Boston. Also, no matter what you wanted to do, Boston had it in some way, shape, or form.

I decided to leave home due to the cost of living and crappy weather.. I decided to move to Phoenix, AZ. I selected Phoenix because of all the sunshine, and the low cost of living. I made the mistake of staying at AWESOME resorts both times I went to visit Phoenix before the move. Phoenix came off to me as a paradise.. I couldn't get there soon enough!

Long story short, I'm not in love with Phoenix as much as I thought I'd be. I love the sunshine and the heat really doesn't bother me. It's the lack of culture, boringness, dust, mormons (no offence), illegal's, the sprawl, and really sketchy electrical contractors out here that have me wanting out of this place!

I hated doing electrical work out here so much that I decided to take a job in a prison for the time being. It pays the bills and I don't have to worry about this damn economy!

I'm thinking about getting out of here in March of 2010... That's when the lease expires. I'm wondering where I should go next. I was thinking about Denver, CO. as I have heard some good things about that city and it would be an easy move for me. Also, my NH electrical license would reciprocate to CO.

I just want to live in a city that I could make a good living as an electrician. I want the state to have an ELECTRICAL BOARD that issues electrical licenses. Arizona doesn't have electrical licenses anyone and everyone could call themselves an electrician. It's scary!

I'd like to live in a city that actually has a pulse. A centralized fun downtown would be a plus to. Like I said, I wasn't to fond of New England's winter.. Mild winters would be a plus, but not required. I could deal with crappy winter again, but would hate to pay TOP DOLLAR to do so.. As I would have had to do in Massachusetts.

I know this is a vague question.. But I'm just trying to generate some ideas.. Anyone have any suggestions? A friend of mine has told me to try looking in the suburbs of Philly.. I wonder how affordable that location would be..

I guess I want to move to a place where I could afford to live within 15 miles of a fun and interesting city and not be a slave to my mortgage.. Anyways, thanks for your time.. I look forward to seeing what you guys have to say...

-Bob

I'd recommend the Midwest, the only negative of course being the winter...but you mentioned it's tolerable in a place where it's not expensive.

Three cities come to mind. Madison, WI, Columbus, OH and Milwaukee, WI

Madison, Columbus and Milwaukee are actually experiencing some of the lowest unemployment rates in the US and have been for awhile.

Madison is a college town ( U of Wisconsin) and the state capitol so there is always something going on. It's surrounded by water (lakes) and is in a beautiful setting Madison, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Columbus is the home of Ohio State and also the capitol of Ohio. It too has a centralized downtown with a lot to do. It has consistently made many of the "best cities" lists. Columbus, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Milwaukee is a booming city with a centralized core and a lot going on as well.
Milwaukee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home prices, in Columbus especially, are quite inexpensive.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:05 PM

2 posts, read 7,691 times
I see this post is a few years old. But though I would add my 2 cents, in case someone else wanted to hear more.

I have 25 years exp as an electrician. Have worked in Pennsylvania, Virginia, & Denver Colorado.
As of 2012 Virginia was slow for work. Non Union electricians were making $18 - $23. Hard times. But nothing crazy. I moved to Denver CO in 2013. Lots of work for electricians. Electricians make $25 - $30 in Colorado.
Pennsylvania does not have an electrical board. I made $13 - $14 living in Scranton - Wilkes Barre area back in 2004. I am in Hawaii now (2015) there is NO work here. I can't even get a job. Gonna have to move back to the mainland. Thinking about Texas now!
Good luck to all

Old 03-14-2016, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,185 times
I live in the valley now and will be attending Johnsons in 2016. Just wondering where the best place for me to fine a job would be that makes decent pay. I'm going for electrical. I'm looking more commercial wise but will do what ever ask long as it's electrical

Old 07-05-2017, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,405 times
Hello I see some people are answering questions on this feed even tho if it's age. My husband and I are about to move from KY where he is an electrian he has 17 years experience. We are wanting to move to FL and I am trying to figure out where in Fl would be the best place to mic so my husband can get a good job as an electrican... TIA

Old 07-05-2017, 04:10 PM

26,798 posts, read 43,267,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wainscott1010 View Post
Hello I see some people are answering questions on this feed even tho if it's age. My husband and I are about to move from KY where he is an electrian he has 17 years experience. We are wanting to move to FL and I am trying to figure out where in Fl would be the best place to mic so my husband can get a good job as an electrican... TIA
I would recommend the Jacksonville area which is booming and is still somewhat affordable versus much of the rest of the state where average rent has gone up so high, many are having a hard time affording it.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:34 PM

200 posts, read 59,644 times
OP has been gone for about 10 years.Thanks for waking the dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.