U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar2038 View Post
If CO2 was a pollutant then people that drink coke would die instantly.
Well you should tell all those scientists that CO2 isn't a pollutant because people don't die when they drink coke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:05 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,278,751 times
After looking at this list, I don't want to hear another California talk about how bad the air is in Texas, and other places outside their state.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:45 AM

679 posts, read 463,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
After looking at this list, I don't want to hear another California talk about how bad the air is in Texas, and other places outside their state.
California was the only state I lived in or spent a good amount of time in where I actually felt the effects of air pollution. And the only place where you could actually see it. I haven't been back in a while but I've heard it was a little better than it used to be. Good thing because in the 90's it was simply awful.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 AM

787 posts, read 369,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flovis View Post
Glad you're happy in WYO, but things have changed for the better with regards to Fresno's air and will keep improving(state gov attacking polluters is making a difference)

Foothills are easy to spot right now and will be for most of the Summer. I too remember struggling to see them in years past.

Fresno air quality for today is moderate to good. It was good all of yesterday.

Https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=...ity&cityid=275
I must respectfully disagree with you. I was living in Fresno for the entire 2016 summer and air quality was awful. My kids were forced to stay in at recess because the air quality was so bad. They weren't allowed outside for their after school activities for the same reason. In fact I was just in Fresno two weeks ago for over a week and a half, and even after the super rainy winter and spring the foothills were still obscured by smog.

I checked your link today and it says it is unhealthy for sensitive groups such as children and people with lung issues.such as asthma which a majority of people in Fresno have because of the bad air quality. Again I reiterate that kids can't play outside because the air quality is awful, why would I want to live in a place where I can't even send

I would love nothing more than to see the air quality improve in Fresno since our entire family lives there, but I am also realistic. More and more people are moving to Fresno, and despite the governments attempts to control things the air is only getting worse not better.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 PM

266 posts, read 214,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I must respectfully disagree with you. I was living in Fresno for the entire 2016 summer and air quality was awful. My kids were forced to stay in at recess because the air quality was so bad. They weren't allowed outside for their after school activities for the same reason. In fact I was just in Fresno two weeks ago for over a week and a half, and even after the super rainy winter and spring the foothills were still obscured by smog.

I checked your link today and it says it is unhealthy for sensitive groups such as children and people with lung issues.such as asthma which a majority of people in Fresno have because of the bad air quality. Again I reiterate that kids can't play outside because the air quality is awful, why would I want to live in a place where I can't even send

I would love nothing more than to see the air quality improve in Fresno since our entire family lives there, but I am also realistic. More and more people are moving to Fresno, and despite the governments attempts to control things the air is only getting worse not better.
"Many might think Fresno’s notoriously unhealthy air is growing worse, but the opposite is true. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District is hard at work cleaning up the valley’s air, and it’s paying off.

Despite drought and recent wildfires, Fresno’s air quality has steadily improved since 2002 and is expected to keep improving in the coming years. Fresno State students are encouraged to help make Fresno’s air cleaner for future generations"

Https://collegian.csufresno.edu/2016...-is-improving/

Fresno had good air quality in late June this year. That never used to happen 10 years ago. The air has turned bad right now cause everyone is overloading our freeway system for 4th of july(i5/99), it will improve soon enough.

Of course Fresno had bad air during your visit two weeks ago, it was 110 degrees, most cities would have bad air in 110 degree heat! More sun/heat = worse air. The air went back to good and moderate as soon as the heatwave went away. I can prove it if you don't believe me.

People getting paid to monitor air say the air is improving. These people are unbiased and should be trusted.

Goodbye

Old 07-01-2017, 10:44 PM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
For all its liberal policies, California has some of the worst air in the nation. Even that special blend gasoline that causes gas prices in California to be the most expensive in the nation and giving Priuses rights to HOV lanes on LA's freeways. Even smaller cities in California like Fresno and Visalia have worse air than far larger Southern cities in states without overregulation.

At the same time Beckley, WV in the heart of coal country, and several cities in Louisiana with major refineries nearby are quite clean. Liberals must find it hard to wrap their heads around this.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:49 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,242,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
For all its liberal policies, California has some of the worst air in the nation. Even that special blend gasoline that causes gas prices in California to be the most expensive in the nation and giving Priuses rights to HOV lanes on LA's freeways. Even smaller cities in California like Fresno and Visalia have worse air than far larger Southern cities in states without overregulation.

At the same time Beckley, WV in the heart of coal country, and several cities in Louisiana with major refineries nearby are quite clean. Liberals must find it hard to wrap their heads around this.
Like others have pointed out, it has less to do with environmental policies and more to do with the climate (little rainfall to almost none during summer and fall months) and geography (such as basins and valleys that trap in particulates). Even long before the LA basin had any sort of significant population (in the 1540's), discoverer Juan Cabrillo noted that the basin was filled with a smoky haze, and this named the area "Baya de los Fumos, or "Bay of the Smokes".

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.c...1572151647/amp

Old 07-02-2017, 09:13 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Like others have pointed out, it has less to do with environmental policies and more to do with the climate (little rainfall to almost none during summer and fall months) and geography (such as basins and valleys that trap in particulates). Even long before the LA basin had any sort of significant population (in the 1540's), discoverer Juan Cabrillo noted that the basin was filled with a smoky haze, and this named the area "Baya de los Fumos, or "Bay of the Smokes".

Link: https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.c...1572151647/amp
Exactly, geography is what largely dictates air pollution with Salt Lake City a prime example of an area that's not a major contributor to carbon emissions that has terrible AQI readings throughout the year.

Old 07-02-2017, 09:48 AM

4,907 posts, read 1,830,833 times
Philadelphia made the three top 25 lists for most pulluted.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:02 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post

It's really not that hard to wrap your head around anything when you understand how much worse air pollution was in the 1970's in CA despite having millions less people. Guess those "liberal policies" did help make the air cleaner. Also when you understand how climate and geography affects air pollution it really should not come as any surprise to see some of these cities rank as some of the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or