U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 04:00 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,633,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Not just Baltimore but also the DC Metro area.
Well I think the perception is that Montgomery county is still mostly white, in actuality it's 55% non-white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 04:02 PM

2,792 posts, read 1,633,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
I have to ask as a Swede living in USA, why does it matter? Why are Americans so obsessed with race and ethnicity and religion, asking for a friend?
Perhaps because ethnic and religious diversity is part of what makes America America

Old 02-14-2018, 04:24 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Curious but what exactly is the point of separating "non-Hispanic" from "Hispanic" when it comes to white people? White is white. European ancestry doesn't change because you're born in Mexico or Puerto Rico. I'm white Hispanic and I do not see myself as a racial minority at all. We don't make this distinction for Irish-Americans or Italians or Jews. I don't see one that says "Non-Jewish white" in this context. If a state is mostly Hispanic but those Hispanics are of overwhelmingly European descent, its not a "Majority-Majority state."

Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Perhaps because ethnic and religious diversity is part of what makes America America
Yea but he has a point that we over analyse and obsess about it in this nation. Not to say we couldn't and shouldn't talk about it but sometimes it goes too far. Brazil is far more racially mixed and diverse than we are and you don't see them discussing race the way we do.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:32 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Yea but he has a point that we over analyse and obsess about it in this nation. Not to say we couldn't and shouldn't talk about it but sometimes it goes too far. Brazil is far more racially mixed and diverse than we are and you don't see them discussing race the way we do.
Americans are obsessed with religion and race it is over the top ridiculous. I wish we could be more like Canada.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:47 PM

7,728 posts, read 9,024,418 times
Who cares? Why are people so obsessed with race in this country? Does there need to be so,e sort of quota everywhere?

Old 02-14-2018, 08:52 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Quote:
I have to ask as a Swede living in USA, why does it matter? Why are Americans so obsessed with race and ethnicity and religion, asking for a friend?
As an American-born resident, I too wonder about the obsession with race and ethnicity. It's like Americans can't rise above it, and must dwell on it every day of life. It also smacks of closet racism.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:58 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Curious but what exactly is the point of separating "non-Hispanic" from "Hispanic" when it comes to white people? White is white. European ancestry doesn't change because you're born in Mexico or Puerto Rico. I'm white Hispanic and I do not see myself as a racial minority at all. We don't make this distinction for Irish-Americans or Italians or Jews. I don't see one that says "Non-Jewish white" in this context. If a state is mostly Hispanic but those Hispanics are of overwhelmingly European descent, its not a "Majority-Majority state."
Because most of the Hispanics who mark "white" on the census are mestizo and do not considers themselves white/are not considered white by American standards.

Old 02-15-2018, 05:45 AM

5,869 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Quote:
Americans are obsessed with religion and race it is over the top ridiculous. I wish we could be more like Canada.
Thank you for successfully saying in 20 words what I was unable to do with 24,807

Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
I don't get why people act like race is a complete non issue ; most people have some sort of racial preference in terms of where they want to live. I would expect most minorities wouldn't want to live somewhere that's 99% white, and vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or