U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 06:03 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Really? have you ever been to Sweden?

Let me tell you that the majority of those "problems" in Sweden and in the whole of Europe are over exaggerated by anti immigrant right wingers.
Someone killed 86 children because they attended a camp run by a pro-immigrant party. There are tensions in Sweden over immigration policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 06:07 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,713,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Someone killed 86 children because they attended a camp run by a pro-immigrant party. There are tensions in Sweden over immigration policy.
I think you are referring to a incident that happened in a whole different country, however those unfortunate events are just acts of evil and are not in the "norm" in our day to day life and its not in the "norm" in being a human.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
I think you are referring to a incident that happened in a whole different country, however those unfortunate events are just acts of evil and are not in the "norm" in our day to day life and its not in the "norm" in being a human.
I apologize that was in Norway.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:59 PM

605 posts, read 467,083 times
Quote:
Really? have you ever been to Sweden?

Let me tell you that the majority of those "problems" in Sweden and in the whole of Europe are over exaggerated by anti immigrant right wingers.
I have been to Sweden and there are definitely some issues in Sweden regarding immigrants culturally assimilating there, plus the unemployment rates among immigrants in Sweden tends to be higher as well (especially those from Somalia or the Middle East although Iranians are the exception). Needless to say the large refugee influx there did not help matters.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:36 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
It's not race. It's culture/ethnicity.

I'd feel more comfortable as a mexican american with 20 black american soldiers, or 20 chinese american soldiers, or 20 white american soldiers in a foreign country.

You think american blacks where all lovey with the native blacks in the battle of mogadishu ?

It's not race it's culture.

I feel more comfortable among working class whites than I do with upper class hispancs.

I grew up in Albany Park Chicago one of the most diverse neighborhoods on the planet. By 1st grade I had friends who's parents were from all over the world. Vietnman, Colombia, Poland, Pakistan, Cambodia, China, India, Bosnia, Ukraine, guatemala, salvador, Filipino, Puerto Rican,etc etc.
As 1st generation kids we were pretty well adapted to American culture and shared a lot of things in common outside of our apartments. It wasn't about race. It was about culture. We shared the same culture.
Then we went back home after hanging out and we lived in another culture.

Race and culture are intertwined. The average black American and white American see things through a different lens.

Let me give an example, black people from the West Indies and Africa migrate to New York, they might be different culturally from AAs, but their kids almost fully assimilate into AA culture.

And most people seem to see themselves by race before class. If that were not the case, white rednecks would not identify so much with Donald Trump.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Race and culture are intertwined. The average black American and white American see things through a different lens.

Let me give an example, black people from the West Indies and Africa migrate to New York, they might be different culturally from AAs, but their kids almost fully assimilate into AA culture.

And most people seem to see themselves by race before class. If that were not the case, white rednecks would not identify so much with Donald Trump.
That second point really depends. In places like Lawrence, MA where almost the entire black population is Dominican you have 2nd generation Dominicans that still speak Spanish and are very much not like American AA's. In places where the Black Population is dominated by AA's that may be the case though.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That second point really depends. In places like Lawrence, MA where almost the entire black population is Dominican you have 2nd generation Dominicans that still speak Spanish and are very much not like American AA's. In places where the Black Population is dominated by AA's that may be the case though.
Most Dominicans in my experience are not considered black. But even the nonblack ones in NYC do adopt a lot of culture from AAs, as do Puerto Ricans. It's very common for them to speak and dress like AAs.

My roommate in college was a 2nd generation Ghanaian from The Bronx and he was just like any other black dude from The Bronx.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:35 PM

2,207 posts, read 1,299,411 times
Dominicans especially in Lawrence often talk in black slang and wear the same clothes as urban black youth. They live in similar neighborhoods and in more integrated cities lmaoo always live side by side with black Americans. They're not considered black back you could think of them as "black" for practical purposes and they usually experience a lot of the racial discrimination due to colorism etc.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,019,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

I see plenty of educated black Africans that don't assimilate to african american culture.

And trump caters to them.

Race and culture are not intertwined.
Only in the u.s. black and white world.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dominicans especially in Lawrence often talk in black slang and wear the same clothes as urban black youth. They live in similar neighborhoods and in more integrated cities lmaoo always live side by side with black Americans. They're not considered black back you could think of them as "black" for practical purposes and they usually experience a lot of the racial discrimination due to colorism etc.
Exactly. Same goes for Puerto Ricans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I see plenty of educated black Africans that don't assimilate to african american culture.

And trump caters to them.

Race and culture are not intertwined.
Only in the u.s. black and white world.
Well their kids would definitely assimilate to AA culture if they lived in a predominately black area.

And what do you mean only in the US? I'm pretty sure there's a cultural divide between white Brits and black Brits as well. And in Canada too for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or