Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,381,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dominicans especially in Lawrence often talk in black slang and wear the same clothes as urban black youth. They live in similar neighborhoods and in more integrated cities lmaoo always live side by side with black Americans. They're not considered black back you could think of them as "black" for practical purposes and they usually experience a lot of the racial discrimination due to colorism etc.
And for that matter, it's common for people in many ethnic groups with little to no black ancestry to copy black American slang and fashion as well. Mexicans, Native Americans, Cambodians, Pacific Islanders, Indians, Pakistanis, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 11:59 PM

724 posts, read 552,257 times
Before this topic gets thrown out or deleted, I think everyone lives everywhere now and within 20 years the lines between cultures are going to become so blurred that it won't even matter.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
Before this topic gets thrown out or deleted, I think everyone lives everywhere now and within 20 years the lines between cultures are going to become so blurred that it won't even matter.
I think it will take a lot longer than that. Just my personal opinion.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:08 AM

724 posts, read 552,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think it will take a lot longer than that. Just my personal opinion.
I get where you're coming from, but on the macro level with the advent of the internet, people are becoming way more alike than different. Ever since Christopher Columbus decided to get lost and "discover" the new world, the idea that large groups of people can remain isolated without change has become smaller and smaller.

The real lines IMO are between income groups. Not in the Communist "workers of the world unite" way, but in the lines between who controls things and who doesn't. I guarantee you that a rich white and rich black person have more in common than a rich white person and a poor one.

Maybe I'm jaded because I work in a field where I see a diverse set of rich business people all the time. They definitely don't obsess over this as much as they do about money.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
I get where you're coming from, but on the macro level with the advent of the internet, people are becoming way more alike than different. Ever since Christopher Columbus decided to get lost and "discover" the new world, the idea that large groups of people can remain isolated without change has become smaller and smaller.

The real lines IMO are between income groups. Not in the Communist "workers of the world unite" way, but in the lines between who controls things and who doesn't. I guarantee you that a rich white and rich black person have more in common than a rich white person and a poor one.

Maybe I'm jaded because I work in a field where I see a diverse set of rich business people all the time. They definitely don't obsess over this as much as they do about money.
I think people tend to keep their racial views to themselves at work, particularly when they have a lot to lose.

Poor whites do not seem to see eye to eye with poor minorities, overall. Just look at how poor inner city neighborhoods vote versus poor white rural neighborhoods.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Dominicans especially in Lawrence often talk in black slang and wear the same clothes as urban black youth. They live in similar neighborhoods and in more integrated cities lmaoo always live side by side with black Americans. They're not considered black back you could think of them as "black" for practical purposes and they usually experience a lot of the racial discrimination due to colorism etc.
No they don't, even if they don't speak Spanish as a 1st language their slang is intertwined in "Spanglish".

Obviously the food is different than traditional AAs and they play mote soccer/Baseball than Basketball/Football, and they listen to Caribbean or Latin Music not hip hop/rap and theyre largely Catholics not Protestants.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:14 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,156,709 times
Quote:
Exactly. Same goes for Puerto Ricans.

Well their kids would definitely assimilate to AA culture if they lived in a predominately black area.

And what do you mean only in the US? I'm pretty sure there's a cultural divide between white Brits and black Brits as well. And in Canada too for that matter.
Maybe in new york.
But new york isn't the world.
Africans in chicago have their own bubble of neighborhoods and don't associate with American blacks. And the 1st generation is not into that thug lifestyle.

You just contraindicated yourself and supported me.
I said there is a divide and you said they assimilate.
Now you are saying there is a divide.
Which is it?

Old 02-16-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No they don't, even if they don't speak Spanish as a 1st language their slang is intertwined in "Spanglish".

Obviously the food is different than traditional AAs and they play mote soccer/Baseball than Basketball/Football, and they listen to Caribbean or Latin Music not hip hop/rap and theyre largely Catholics not Protestants.
I don't think you know many Dominican-Americans. Rap is very popular among them (although you can say the same thing for white people). It doesn't matter that they're Catholic because most people's lives don't revolve around religion. And West Indians eat different food from AAs, but they're still very much apart of New York/New England's black culture.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:36 AM

I hear many Dominican-Americans speak in AAVE, and I rarely hear them use Spanglish. The only Spanglish I ever hear anyone use is interjecting English words into a Spanish conversation, such as "bacon" instead of "tocino".

Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM

13,942 posts, read 14,823,775 times
Quote:
I don't think you know many Dominican-Americans. Rap is very popular among them (although you can say the same thing for white people). It doesn't matter that they're Catholic because most people's lives don't revolve around religion. And West Indians eat different food from AAs, but they're still very much apart of New York/New England's black culture.
It's not that they don't listen to rap I shouldn't have said that but it's not ingrained in their culture it's like Rap is to East Asians or White People. Places like Lawrence, Holyoke, Chelsea, MA are placed with almost 0 African American presence it's not the same as New York or Philly there is no African American culture to blend into.

So even 2nd (maybe 3rd idk everyone's backstory) generations very much have "Spanish vowels" and you hear blended conversations

That last sentence kind of proves my point of Domicans/West Indians

A good example is Lawrence doesn't even have a JV football team, it's a city of 80,000 with one high school with not enough kids that play football to have a JV and Varsity that would not happen if kids growing up
In America immediately Americanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.