U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 06:47 PM

56,664 posts, read 80,973,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
The difficult part is that you need to get people(especially African Americans) to drop or at least weaken the concept of racial identity. That's the root of the issue people are missing.
The problem with this statement is that African Americans didnít create the social construct of race. So, perhaps the creators of such construct should take the first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 10:34 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The problem with this statement is that African Americans didnít create the social construct of race. So, perhaps the creators of such construct should take the first step.
So who created it? Whitey? We're all just dying to know.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:50 PM

1,991 posts, read 867,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
And that's mostly due to class. Not because they are black. They happen to live in bordering neighborhoods because of class. Like I said. There's plenty of middle class immigrants from Somalia who do not associate with lower class american blacks. But those who do usually do so because they live in places they can afford. Which is bordering or among lower class american blacks.
Well first of all Somalians, Ethiopians and Eritreans are eastern Africans who don’t even associate much with West Africans. Some of them don’t even think they are black to begin with. There is a def a color issue there but luckily their kids often do not turn out like that!

And as far as class is concerned middle class blacks don’t often associate with lower class blacks either so it makes sense. Class hang with their class!

Old 02-17-2018, 11:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,472,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Curious but what exactly is the point of separating "non-Hispanic" from "Hispanic" when it comes to white people? White is white. European ancestry doesn't change because you're born in Mexico or Puerto Rico. I'm white Hispanic and I do not see myself as a racial minority at all. We don't make this distinction for Irish-Americans or Italians or Jews. I don't see one that says "Non-Jewish white" in this context. If a state is mostly Hispanic but those Hispanics are of overwhelmingly European descent, its not a "Majority-Majority state."
Going off your profile pic, you would have a hard time passing for White in my neighborhood. Just being honest. A lot of so called White Hispanics are actually "racially-mixed". If you study the history of Latin America, there was a lot more racial mixing there than here in the United States(which was much more racially segregated). I completely understand why non-Hispanic White can be viewed as a separate racial group in population statistics.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 02-17-2018 at 11:52 PM..

Old 02-18-2018, 09:25 AM

56,664 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
So who created it? Whitey? We're all just dying to know.
You said that, not me. However, the answer is out there if one is willing to look.

As for the topic, it isn’t anything new and there are others that appear to be close.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:28 AM

351 posts, read 551,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You said that, not me. However, the answer is out there if one is willing to look.

As for the topic, it isnít anything new and there are others that appear to be close.
One thing is obvious that it certainly wasn't African Americans.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:04 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,594,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Well first of all Somalians, Ethiopians and Eritreans are eastern Africans who donít even associate much with West Africans. Some of them donít even think they are black to begin with. There is a def a color issue there but luckily their kids often do not turn out like that!

And as far as class is concerned middle class blacks donít often associate with lower class blacks either so it makes sense. Class hang with their class!
I'm not sure if East Africans born in the US/Canada view thenselves as different, look at the Weeknd for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Going off your profile pic, you would have a hard time passing for White in my neighborhood. Just being honest. A lot of so called White Hispanics are actually "racially-mixed". If you study the history of Latin America, there was a lot more racial mixing there than here in the United States(which was much more racially segregated). I completely understand why non-Hispanic White can be viewed as a separate racial group in population statistics.
While you are correct for the most part, he totally looks white. But yeah, for instance there are two Colombian women I work with and while they have light skin (one of them even has red hair) they have visivle ndigenous ancestry so I don't think of them as being white.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm not sure if East Africans born in the US/Canada view thenselves as different, look at the Weeknd for example.

While you are correct for the most part, he totally looks white. But yeah, for instance there are two Colombian women I work with and while they have light skin (one of them even has red hair) they have visivle ndigenous ancestry so I don't think of them as being white.
Well to be fair the weekend was dragged by lipstickalley forums because it was reported that he didn’t like “Black woman” one time at a club. Don’t know if it’s true but the entertainment business is not a good example of reality because often times than most it’s filled with people trying to fit in.

lil pump for example was just busted about lying and claiming 3 imaginary black males tried to rob his house.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,594,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Well to be fair the weekend was dragged by lipstickalley forums because it was reported that he didnít like ďBlack womanĒ one time at a club. Donít know if itís true but the entertainment business is not a good example of reality because often times than most itís filled with people trying to fit in.

lil pump for example was just busted about lying and claiming 3 imaginary black males tried to rob his house.
I know entertainment is not a great example. There are plenty of AA/West Indian guys like that though, with a strong preference for Latina or white women. But the Weeknd in my opinion, definitely sees himself as a black person.

And Lil Pump is a clown, I never took him seriously in any way.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I know entertainment is not a great example. There are plenty of AA/West Indian guys like that though, with a strong preference for Latina or white women. But the Weeknd in my opinion, definitely sees himself as a black person.

And Lil Pump is a clown, I never took him seriously in any way.
Idk if this is a dumb question but are you black and I do feel that Jamaicans are at the highest point of preferring white and Latina woman compared to other islanders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or