U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:53 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,295,467 times

Advertisements

According to American FactFinder data release on July 22nd 1,468,421 of Nevada's 2,950,058 residents were non-Hispanic White as of July 1, 2016.

That is 49.94 percent. Seeing as its 2017 its like Nevada is actually majority minority. Whate state is Next? My guess is Maryland...

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM

510 posts, read 197,412 times
MD in 2019 probably.

FL, NJ and GA probably in the 2020s im guessing.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:32 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Nevada isn't first, or alone since California became Minority-Majority in 2015. Texas and New Mexico are on the verge next.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,689,094 times
New Mexico has been minority-majority for quite a while. It might have been so by the 1990 Census, but for sure by the 2000 Census it became minority-majority.

The state has a Hispanic plurality that is nearing a majority, along with a significant American Indian population that goes along with smaller Asian and black minorities to make for about a 62 percent population of national minorities living in the state.

The breakdown of groups in New Mexico according to the 2016 Census Bureau estimates (the most recent estimated breakdown):

Hispanic 48.5%
White alone, not Hispanic 38.1%
American Indian and Alaska Native 10.6%
Black or African-American 2.5%
Two or more races 2.5%
Asian 1.7%
Native Hawaiian and other Pacific Islander 0.2%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/NM

A Wikipedia article about this topic, which also shows that Hawaii was the only state never to have had a white majority, and thus was the first state to have a minority-majority:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majority_minority

The five states which are currently minority-majority ranked according to the 2016 estimates and their percentage of national minorities:

Hawaii 77.9%
California 62.3%
New Mexico 61.9%
Texas 57.4%
Nevada 50.1%

Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
I'm from Maryland, and I say either it or Georgia are next. I know Maryland might surprise some people, I get the sense that it's perceived as a mostly white state outside Baltimore, but that's far from true.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:29 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,524,415 times
I'm going to declare Nevada to be the official last majority minority state. With huge states like California and Texas, where whites have already fallen from majority to plurality status and other states, many also large, are racing towards whites falling under 50% white, it's about tim e we stop talking about people being "minority": we're ALL minorities now.

The language needs to change to reflect the diversity that is today'sAmerica. And in the most important of numbers, if you take the large numbers of blacks, hispanics and Asians and mix them with all the white folk (very much including myself) who mercifully shreaded their "whiteness" ages ago, you have a group that is probably a huge majority in virtually every state.

White people never existed until we invented them. And we had to invent them because you can't have them as slaves uness they are not as good as you, inferior to you, and possibly not even the same species as you. You have to play the fiction.

So we had to create white folks because otherwise you can't contrast them from blacks. And because blacks were easy to keep in their status because they were easily identifyable, so suited for a group you wish to make the lowest class...thebetter to exploit themselves, dear.

So we started whiteness and the white race which was basically WASPish. And then we padded the numbers by bestowing whiteness on first other northern European protestants, then to the Irish and other Catholics to make all Chrisian Europeans part of the club, and then we threw in the Jews, making all Europeans acceptable.

Why in hell do we need to expand "whiteness" anymore. Let's just dump it like, you know, all the other so called advanced nations have already done. It's poisonous. It's cancerous. And it needsto stop. And

Old 02-14-2018, 02:45 PM

2,783 posts, read 1,628,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm going to declare Nevada to be the official last majority minority state. With huge states like California and Texas, where whites have already fallen from majority to plurality status and other states, many also large, are racing towards whites falling under 50% white, it's about tim e we stop talking about people being "minority": we're ALL minorities now.

The language needs to change to reflect the diversity that is today'sAmerica. And in the most important of numbers, if you take the large numbers of blacks, hispanics and Asians and mix them with all the white folk (very much including myself) who mercifully shreaded their "whiteness" ages ago, you have a group that is probably a huge majority in virtually every state.

White people never existed until we invented them. And we had to invent them because you can't have them as slaves uness they are not as good as you, inferior to you, and possibly not even the same species as you. You have to play the fiction.

So we had to create white folks because otherwise you can't contrast them from blacks. And because blacks were easy to keep in their status because they were easily identifyable, so suited for a group you wish to make the lowest class...thebetter to exploit themselves, dear.

So we started whiteness and the white race which was basically WASPish. And then we padded the numbers by bestowing whiteness on first other northern European protestants, then to the Irish and other Catholics to make all Chrisian Europeans part of the club, and then we threw in the Jews, making all Europeans acceptable.

Why in hell do we need to expand "whiteness" anymore. Let's just dump it like, you know, all the other so called advanced nations have already done. It's poisonous. It's cancerous. And it needsto stop. And
........oh boy

Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,941,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I'm from Maryland, and I say either it or Georgia are next. I know Maryland might surprise some people, I get the sense that it's perceived as a mostly white state outside Baltimore, but that's far from true.
Not just Baltimore but also the DC Metro area.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:46 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
I have to ask as a Swede living in USA, why does it matter? Why are Americans so obsessed with race and ethnicity and religion, asking for a friend?

Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 PM

304 posts, read 165,338 times
Hopefully all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or