U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:09 PM

8,735 posts, read 7,693,706 times

Advertisements

Boston doesn't have the most aggressive panhandlers, but they are certainly becoming bolder. Copley Square is getting to be pretty unpleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 PM

220 posts, read 123,499 times
When I lived there Houston had a mixed bag. Some were pleasant, some scammers and some aholes. I was approached by a lady with a child in a grocery store saying they needed food. Anyway, after I left the store she made a beeline for the liquor store across the street. Another time I was at a gas station and this vuy was asking for money . I gave him a dollar and he grabs my arm yelling "is this all ya got"! I snatched my money back and continued on my way.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,404,423 times
The homeless situation in Seattle and Portland was pretty jarring. Literal tent cities under the overpasses and by the train stations. I didn't have any bad experiences with panhandlers there though.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:55 PM

2,811 posts, read 1,308,178 times
Dallas has a huge homeless problem. Tent city and all that. Even though they keep removing one another pops up.

I think the suburban nature of DFW means that all the homeless for a 7 million person metro end up in a few small areas.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,237,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Chicago has some aggressive panhandlers. I remember it not being uncommon to see homeless people link arms with people going to work to get their attention.

Memphis has a serious problem with homeless people getting in your personal space and asking for money. I am not a scarry type but when you get so close to me as a stranger, I do get on the defense and maybe get ready to swing if you show further aggression.

St. Louis city closed a DT shelter and what they failed to realise is the shelter in the neighborhood had very strict rules that included eliminating services to people who panhandled. That had always kept the aggressive panhandling to a minimum. After the shelter has been closed for a few months, I am noticing an increase in aggressiveness of some of the homeless.
I would have to disagree with aggressive panhandlers for the most part in Chicago. I am in the Loop every day, and pretty know each regular; the short divorced lady that is pleasant, the lady sitting on the ground for years asking for 19 cents, the guy by the courthouse who says he is hungry and can someone buy him a sandwich; the lady who sings to sell chocolate; the guy in the wheelchair who is crazy but funny/sad; and the usuals by the train station who would be missed if not there. The ones that stand out are the white young men who have signs but look so downtrodden you wonder what happened to them. They are the drifters you don't see regularly.

In Chicago they have Streetwise, a newspaper they sell for a dollar, and a way to earn some income. The only ones who approach you are guys, usually African American who ask "Can I ask you a question". All you have to say is no. I agree that SF is bad for panhandlers, but the worst experience of all places I had was Cleveland where a guy insisted I give him $5 for singing me a song while I was trying to walk away.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:20 PM

220 posts, read 123,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Dallas has a huge homeless problem. Tent city and all that. Even though they keep removing one another pops up.

I think the suburban nature of DFW means that all the homeless for a 7 million person metro end up in a few small areas.
Ive heard people speak about panhandling on Lancaster in Ft. Worth.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:07 AM

10,675 posts, read 8,202,501 times
Harlem 125th Street area and Midtown area in NYC

Old 09-29-2017, 02:10 PM

5,311 posts, read 5,335,456 times
SF and Portland top my list.

But I was outside work in Center City, Philly today and I had a toothless, homeless man ask me for money. When I told him I had no cash (and I really didn't), he sat down on a ledge near where I was standing and began laughing hilariously. The laughing got so loud and wild that everyone started looking and when I looked at him he pointed at me and laughed even louder. So, I went across the street and he continued to point at me and laugh even from a distance; people would look and try to see what he was pointing at and they could just see me looking across the street at them. Then he got mad, screamed and scared a bunch of people, and stormed off in a different direction.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:27 PM

1,521 posts, read 684,541 times
I've spent 25+ years in San Francisco, living and working in various parts of town, and getting around on foot or on the bus (no car). Of course, I see homeless people almost every day. But I still haven't encountered an "aggressive panhandler."

Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,509,305 times
Vancouver, Vancouver, Vancouver....British Columbia, Canada.

Honest too, asking for money for drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.