U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,468,979 times

Advertisements

So the most important economically states in the US are:
California
Texas
New York
Illinois

What would come next...which state do you think make the top 5 and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM

6,072 posts, read 3,402,168 times
Washington?

Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks..

just so many companies there. Plus major ports and international relationship with Canada.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:54 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,980,197 times
Your listing is wrong. It's California, Texas, New York and Florida, in that order. Illinois is 5th and Pennsylvania is right after it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._states_by_GDP

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,468,979 times
looking for a different view like BadgerFilms for example

Old 06-28-2017, 07:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,259,425 times
I always thought that Illinois was the fifth most important state, economically, after Florida. I don't see how in any way, California, Texas, New York, and Illinois are the four most economically important states in that order.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:58 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,531,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I always thought that Illinois was the fifth most important state, economically, after Florida. I don't see how in any way, California, Texas, New York, and Illinois are the four most economically important states in that order.
California has the crown for "tech" city, and a ton of large construction companies, makes sense to me

Texas, well Texas is basically Lil Murica, oil, pipelines, refineries, etc... A lot $$$ being produced

Old 06-28-2017, 08:27 PM

308 posts, read 187,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
So the most important economically states in the US are:
California
Texas
New York
Illinois

What would come next...which state do you think make the top 5 and why?

There's no way Illinois is more economically important than Florida. The GDP of Florida is already higher than Illinois and the gap is widening at an incredible rate. The GDP of Florida is growing more than 3 times faster than Illinois. The projected population growth of these two states for many years to come is already widely known. If there was any question before it should of been squashed years ago just from the massive difference in GDP growth and population growth that's been going on. The projected growth difference of the many different factors between these two states is also important to look at. Look at the image below from the U.S. Government to see how incredibly fast the GDP of Florida is growing. It shows Florida having by far the fastest numerical GDP growth out of any U.S. state except California. Texas took a hit from the oil collapse but is now recovering again nicely. Texas, California and Florida also have much, much higher numerical population growth than the other U.S. states. Illinois actually ranks 49th for population growth as seen below. California, Texas and Florida are numerically growing so much faster than the other states in so many different aspects it's actually pretty absurd.

I understand the per capita income and Fortune 500 companies of Florida lags behind Illinois but those things don't actually make a place more economically important by themselves. One of the reasons why the per capita GDP of Florida is lower than certain other states is because of the retired population down there. Social Security doesn't even get factored into the GDP number and many other retirement benefits and investments do not either. The same goes for per capita income. Florida also has a massive cash and underground economy and I would say it's easily one of the largest in the U.S., especially per capita. That also effects the GDP and per capita income numbers. Florida ranks in the top couple of states with the most small businesses per capita and many small businesses down there are notorious for paying their employees in cash with no record anywhere of payment.

http://www.city-data.com/blog/1654-small-businesses/

I would actually argue that the economic importance of Florida to the United States is much higher than the GDP number of Florida would lead one to believe. Florida is like a massive advertisement to the whole world inviting people to visit the U.S. and spend money all over the U.S. once they see what it's like here. Many peoples first time visiting the U.S. takes place in Florida. Those people are more likely to visit other U.S. states again or even travel from Florida to other states and spend massive amounts of money. Think about how many of the states in the U.S. are considered huge tourism states. California, New York and Florida right? What other states have anywhere close to the international tourism numbers and worldwide brand image they have? The number of international tourists these three states receive is about the same and is more than double the next state after them. Florida gets more than 7 times the amount of international tourists than Illinois and more than 5 times more than Texas.

If Florida magically disappeared what state would take it's place advertising the brand image of the U.S. to the world? I really don't think any other state would. The fact that California, New York and Florida are so far ahead of the other U.S. states in international tourism numbers kind of proves it wouldn't be replaced or another state would already be receiving massive tourist numbers like these three states do. It really is a huge importance that can't be quantified and it just advertises the brand image and popularity of the U.S. to the world. The economy of the U.S. gets a massive boost just from people around the world having the idea in their mind that California, New York and Florida are places that are massively popular with people around the world and have a certain desirability to them that people are curious about.

If no one from around the world ever wanted to visit the U.S. for fun don't you think the brand image of the U.S. would be hurt greatly and in turn the U.S. economy would take a massive hit? There are many people already that say they don't want to visit because they don't like the U.S. and actually some hate the U.S. Don't you think those people effect the U.S. economy just by not liking the U.S.? Business decisions made by them having to do with the U.S. are impacted more than you think. It's just like how many people won't buy products made in China since they don't like the way things are there. It would be much worse if the international tourism numbers for the U.S. dropped dramatically and I truly believe the brand image and economy would be impacted greatly if no one wanted to actually visit here. Word of mouth is a very strong thing. Do you understand how cold and corporate the brand image of the U.S. around the world would be if these things happened. That would be terrible for the U S. economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Washington?

Amazon, Boeing, Microsoft, Starbucks..

just so many companies there. Plus major ports and international relationship with Canada.

Florida has more than twice the GDP of Washington and the numerical GDP growth of Florida is more than double Washington's even still today. Washington ranks 14th in GDP. I really hope you were joking but for some reason I think you weren't.

https://www.infoplease.com/world/tra...ravelers-20141

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...on_growth_rate

Last edited by pinytr; 06-28-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,259,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
California has the crown for "tech" city, and a ton of large construction companies, makes sense to me

Texas, well Texas is basically Lil Murica, oil, pipelines, refineries, etc... A lot $$$ being produced
I completely agree that California is number 1 and Texas is arguably number 2, that or New York. I just don't know what ranks these states this way followed by Illinois. It isn't GDP, federal revenue, Fortune 500 companies, or incomes.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:30 PM

3,957 posts, read 2,230,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
I completely agree that California is number 1 and Texas is arguably number 2, that or New York. I just don't know what ranks these states this way followed by Illinois. It isn't GDP, federal revenue, Fortune 500 companies, or incomes.
Maybe largest cities? LA/SF/SD/SJ, Houston/Dallas/SA/Austin, NYC, Chicago?

Old 06-29-2017, 12:23 AM

17,739 posts, read 4,104,090 times
I think Texas is second-most important state economically for the purposes of this thread because of the energy industry but thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or