Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2017, 10:54 AM

2 posts, read 5,430 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am looking for your opinion on the best cities for a brand new Mechanical Engineer to move to. I'm originally from Minneapolis and would like to start an adventure elsewhere! I would prefer the South just because it is somewhere new and VERY affordable for a heavily debted, newly minted engineer.

My fiance and I are just starting out our careers and have very limited experience (1 year) in engineering. Therefore, I'm not so much concerned about the cities with the highest paying engineers but places who are desperate enough to hire young, bright and (unfortunately) inexperienced mechanical engineers.

I recently came across Huntsville, Alabama however, I have heard about issues of racism. I'm a multiracial woman who looks hispanic and have a large afro while my fiance is middle eastern with a strong accent, therefore I'm slightly nervous about racism in less urban areas especially in the south. I'm finding a lot of small town southern cities seem to have lots of job opportunity for engineers, probably because there is a lot of room for manufacturing plants, but I do fear discrimination.

I am considering the big cities; Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Houston. Are there any smaller cities or less known cities which have good engineering opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 11:04 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would urge you to check out Durham NC which has a long track record of embracing diversity and well-paying jobs with a significantly lower cost of living. Outside of that I do agree Atlanta would be a good option if looking for a big city and for a wildcard you might look at Baltimore which is surprisingly affordable and in a great area for moving up the career ladder in the Baltimore-Washington corridor.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:34 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Engineering + diversity = Houston

Old 06-29-2017, 11:37 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
lots of Minnesota Expats in and around Denver.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirmcge0329 View Post
Hi all!

I am looking for your opinion on the best cities for a brand new Mechanical Engineer to move to. I'm originally from Minneapolis and would like to start an adventure elsewhere! I would prefer the South just because it is somewhere new and VERY affordable for a heavily debted, newly minted engineer.

My fiance and I are just starting out our careers and have very limited experience (1 year) in engineering. Therefore, I'm not so much concerned about the cities with the highest paying engineers but places who are desperate enough to hire young, bright and (unfortunately) inexperienced mechanical engineers.

I recently came across Huntsville, Alabama however, I have heard about issues of racism. I'm a multiracial woman who looks hispanic and have a large afro while my fiance is middle eastern with a strong accent, therefore I'm slightly nervous about racism in less urban areas especially in the south. I'm finding a lot of small town southern cities seem to have lots of job opportunity for engineers, probably because there is a lot of room for manufacturing plants, but I do fear discrimination.

I am considering the big cities; Atlanta, Dallas, Austin, Houston. Are there any smaller cities or less known cities which have good engineering opportunity?
Greenville SC, Huntsville, Hampton Roads / Norfolk area of Virginia, Raleigh, Charlotte particularly nuclear power related work.

Savannah River site in SC about 30 minutes from Aiken SC and 50 minutes to Augusta Georgia hires a lot of entry level engineers.

Last edited by JMT; 06-30-2017 at 07:49 AM..

Old 06-29-2017, 04:44 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Quote:
Hi all!

Dallas and Austin are not very affordable. Look on the Texas forum and you'll see what I mean. How about someplace in Florida, maybe Orlando?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,691,596 times
My little brother just graduated with a mechanical engineering degree and got a job in Nova with a 78K starting salary. Sounds like a great start right out of college to me.

He is going to live in Reston VA where 78K will go pretty far. He went to Virginia Tech and he mentioned that alot of them got jobs pretty easily in the Nova area. You have to keep in mind that while some cities have a lower cost of living, they won't have the plethora of jobs available nor the demand. Also, you have to somewhat conform to their lifestyle or you will be stared at or judged. Im gay and a racial minority myself and have lived in and extensively traveled throughout the South.

Last edited by JMT; 06-30-2017 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-30-2017, 07:35 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Hi all!

Lots of engineering jobs here in West Tennessee for how many people live in my area, but it is a rural part of the state. The pay isn't the best in the world but the cost of living is dirt cheap along with no state income tax. I haven't looked lately, but it seems like most of the jobs here were Manufacturing Engineering more than Design Engineering.

You could look into Nashville as well. It would be more expensive, but it is growing as well. If I was more urban oriented, I would either be there or San Antonio.

I can't imagine racism being a huge deal in Huntsville. It has had a huge amount of non-natives for a long time due to the jobs there. Many of the employers there are kind of picky on who they hire at entry levels for engineers though, so just keep that in mind. (This doesn't mean don't try Huntsville by any means though)

If you or your fiance go into Manufacturing Engineering, I can't stress this enough: Read books. Read The Goal and The Toyota Way and books similar to that. This will give you a huge head start on much of your competition and make you a much more effective manufacturing engineer. These books will tell you to go onto the manufacturing floor and actually see what is going on too, so that will also be covered. Problems don't get solved behind a desk.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.