U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 01:39 PM

8,946 posts, read 4,095,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I would like to plan a trip to the South that people usually don't want to visit. I want to visit a place to understand what southern poverty looks like. That is why I am deciding to go to Eastern Kentucky. Then I am deciding to go to Nashville to see a true Southern city. Would you consider Nashville to be a true Southern city? If so what major cities in the South have a true Southern feel? I don't think Atlanta or even Birmingham would be choices because they seem too cosmopolitan to have that feel, at least to me.
Birmingham is more Southern, by far, than Nashville. Nashville has actually become very popular with Millennials and is a true "New South" city. For what you are looking for, places like Memphis, Birmingham, Little Rock, Shreveport, or OKC would be closer to true Southern culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 02:07 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,624,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You want poverty in the South? How about Macon GA?
That's probably the most southern city there is.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:09 PM

197 posts, read 127,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
You could skip Eastern KY altogether & go through the Ozarks & Mississippi Delta instead. They border each other in some spots & would give you exposure to poverty in the upland & lowland south. You could also hit Memphis on this trip too.

Upland would be southern Missouri & Northern Arkansas. Lowland would be the Missouri Bootheel, Eastern Arkansas, West Tennessee & the delta region of Mississippi.
This is what I think the OP is looking for. Memphis for the "poor" urban area and the Delta and Ozarks for the "poor" rural areas.

This is actually kind of an interesting vacation. If I were to do it I would love to concentrate on two areas. The first would be what the local governments are planning to do to combat the issues they face and the second would be what the people feel about their region.

I would go to bars and festivals, donate time to food banks and other such organizations. I would go to all types of churches and talk to people. I would go to local chambers of commerce and go to local libraries (my favorite part of any place) to research and ask questions. Compare and contrast the differing ideas locals have about the region. Research how those ideas have changed over time. Ask what the locals ideas are about the future of the region. How would they envision it. What a fascinating idea for a vacation. Thanks OP

Old 07-19-2017, 03:15 PM
_OT

2,142 posts, read 1,517,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Birmingham is more Southern, by far, than Nashville. Nashville has actually become very popular with Millennials and is a true "New South" city. For what you are looking for, places like Memphis, Birmingham, Little Rock, Shreveport, or OKC would be closer to true Southern culture.
What's "True Southern Culture?"

Old 07-19-2017, 06:26 PM

44,651 posts, read 36,106,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
To be fair, all those pictures were basically taken within a few block radius of each other. It's a development that was built in the 1970s that after Katrina was decided to be abandoned due to chemical contaminants (it used to be a land fill) and the flooding of Katrina. It is all surrounded by chain-linked fences and waiting to be demolished, hardly some typical example of urban blight. Thought some parts of the 9th Ward aren't much better but that is more due to slow recovery from hurricane Katrina than the effects of urban poverty and decay.
Yes, and also to be fair, parts of the 9th Ward looked like hell BEFORE Katrina too.

Here's a street view of some of the 9th Ward today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0223...7i13312!8i6656

And another one:
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0348...7i13312!8i6656

Old 07-19-2017, 11:21 PM

76 posts, read 53,475 times
Quote:
I would like to plan a trip to the South that people usually don't want to visit. I want to visit a place to understand what southern poverty looks like. That is why I am deciding to go to Eastern Kentucky. Then I am deciding to go to Nashville to see a true Southern city. Would you consider Nashville to be a true Southern city? If so what major cities in the South have a true Southern feel? I don't think Atlanta or even Birmingham would be choices because they seem too cosmopolitan to have that feel, at least to me.
Fly or drive to Memphis. Take a day or weekend trip and explore the Mississippi and Arkansas delta region. Poverty won't be hard to find. Swing by Jackson, MS. You sure wont get a vibrant cosmopolitan feel. As economically depressed as the area is there are some gems.

Seriously I think that would fulfill all your requirements. If you want to experience the highlights of the area, go eat at a hole in the wall bbq/tamale restaurant, travel US Route 61, go to a blues festival, visit a plantation, travel along the Mississippi river. If you like older music, this country produced Johnny Cash, Levon helm, BB King, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson and countless other fathers of blues/folk music. It's definitely a unique area and a quintessential southern trip.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
One of the poorest Southern places I have ever visited is Santee, South Carolina. We went from there to a town that was shaped like a teapot. I found it interesting and easy to get to right off I-95.

http://www.elloreesc.com/

http://discoversouthcarolina.com/products/10084

http://www.city-data.com/city/Santee...arolina.html#b

I am talking about taking the exit to the right off I-95 just after the rest stop after crossing Santee-Cooper Bridge. We stayed at a timeshare there. Wyndham Vacation Resorts Lake Marion is the name of the place we stayed.
https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/resor...ke-marion.page
Resort was fine but the area around it was very depressed. It was a different world when we traveled up the little road going to Eloree. That little town was typical of small towns in the south. They had an interesting museum.

Last edited by NCN; 07-20-2017 at 12:14 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,440,670 times
Quote:
For true southern poverty, I recommend Mississippi delta. Nashville is a true southern city but it's changing. You can't get more culturally Souhern than Alabama.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:45 PM

76 posts, read 53,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One of the poorest Southern places I have ever visited is Summerville, South Carolina. We went from there to a town that was shaped like a teapot. I found it interesting and easy to get to right off I-95.

Welcome to Elloree, South Carolina

Town of Elloree
I thought Summerville is pretty nice. Cool little downtown area and one of the more affordable bedroom communities around Charleston. Doesn't even come close to the poverty of a lot of the places in this thread.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Follow this circuit:

Atlanta, GA > Macon, GA > Albany, GA > Eufala, AL > Montgomery, AL > Selma, AL > Demopolis, AL > Meridian, MS > Jackson, MS > Vicksburg, MS > Monroe, LA > El Dorado, AR > Pine Bluff, AR > Helena-West Helena, AR > Tunica, MS > Memphis, TN > Corinth, MS > Muscle Shoals, AL > Cullman, AL > Gadsden, AL > Anniston, AL > Atlanta, GA

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or