U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
One of the poorest Southern places I have ever visited is Santee, South Carolina. We went from there to a town that was shaped like a teapot. I found it interesting and easy to get to right off I-95.

Welcome to Elloree, South Carolina

Town of Elloree

http://www.city-data.com/city/Santee...arolina.html#b

I am talking about taking the exit to the right off I-95 just after the rest stop after crossing Santee-Cooper Bridge. We stayed at a timeshare there. Wyndham Vacation Resorts Lake Marion is the name of the place we stayed.
https://www.clubwyndham.com/cw/resor...ke-marion.page
Resort was fine but the area around it was very depressed. It was a different world when we traveled up the little road going to Eloree. That little town was typical of small towns in the south. They had an interesting museum.
Santee isn't that bad actually. Visually it doesn't look the best because nothing has replaced the outlets right by I-95 that left several years ago but otherwise, it's a nice little town. One of my family's favorite spots to relax is Santee National Park...it's beautiful. The OP can do a lot worse if he/she wants to check out impoverished small towns in the South; Santee isn't even among the most impoverished towns in SC.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 07-20-2017 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,873,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestForkGrant View Post
I thought Summerville is pretty nice. Cool little downtown area and one of the more affordable bedroom communities around Charleston. Doesn't even come close to the poverty of a lot of the places in this thread.
When I went looking for the map where we stayed I found we had been in Santee so I changed the post. Luckily OnStar got us there. We asked for the timeshare by name. OnStar did the rest. It is right behind the rest stop just before I-26 on I-95. Beautiful timeshare and across I-95 were many places to eat but when we headed north and west we were shocked. Luckily there was a Food Lion or I don't know what we would have fed our grandchildren, son and his wife all week. We were in a three bedroom. The condo was huge.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 AM

493 posts, read 253,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Follow this circuit:

Atlanta, GA > Macon, GA > Albany, GA > Eufala, AL > Montgomery, AL > Selma, AL > Demopolis, AL > Meridian, MS > Jackson, MS > Vicksburg, MS > Monroe, LA > El Dorado, AR > Pine Bluff, AR > Helena-West Helena, AR > Tunica, MS > Memphis, TN > Corinth, MS > Muscle Shoals, AL > Cullman, AL > Gadsden, AL > Anniston, AL > Atlanta, GA

Atlanta is not a southern town... not in the sense the OP is looking

Old 07-20-2017, 03:44 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,206,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
What's "True Southern Culture?"
Going frog- gigging with your friends, sitting down to a nice plate of crock- potted squirrel (its a little startling when you open the fridge and see them all skinned and ready for cooking, lol)....

Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
I was just gonna say the same thing. What exactly does the OP plan to see and do in these rural backwaters? These people are not on display in some freak show or southern poverty museum, and they don't cotton too kindly to being gawked at or made fun of.
Eastern Kentucky is incredibly scenic, Red River Gorge, Laurel Gorge, Cumberland Falls. There are also lots of little museums that depict and inform people about Kentucky as it was and is, not just as some stereotype. There's the Highland museum, the Kentucky music hall of fame, and the Kentucky Folk art museum, all of which I have been to, and think its a shame more people don't go.

And maybe she wants to eat at a little mom n pop diner, and see some real people, not just pull out at a highway exit and eat Applebee's with tourists passing through.

Just because someone wants to explore eastern Kentucky doesn't mean they want to gawk at poverty and exploit it. And maybe some folks over there wouldn't mind a tourist dollar or two.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 PM

56,001 posts, read 54,493,040 times
In Rio de Janeiro they actually do bus tours for tourists through the slums so they can see how the poor people live.

It's a matter of time. "See real live southern hicks in their native habitat."

Old 07-20-2017, 09:43 PM

14,151 posts, read 19,745,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In Rio de Janeiro they actually do bus tours for tourists through the slums so they can see how the poor people live.

Favelas are popular in general, remember Michael Jackson's video in Rio?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:20 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Lousiana has some of the most gorgeous mansions and oak alley and gorgeous archotecture. The deep south blows away the upper south for architecture and mansions and aristocratic living outside of Charleston. Savannah, Alexandria and some great equestrian mansions in Kentucky etc

Old 07-21-2017, 03:28 AM

3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Pretty vile post. They could do the same thing for most of our urban areas, you could do a zoo trip through the train trip from florida to dc and all the ghettos and the ghettos of the northeast corridor, camden . newark, chester, etc.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 AM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Lousiana has some of the most gorgeous mansions and oak alley and gorgeous archotecture. The deep south blows away the upper south for architecture and mansions and aristocratic living outside of Charleston. Savannah, Alexandria and some great equestrian mansions in Kentucky etc

Charleston and Savannah are in the deep South as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or