U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 PM

4,102 posts, read 4,740,688 times

Advertisements

I don't really think eastern KY is the deep south. More so it is central Appalachia, which is actually not very exemplary of southern poverty. It's worse in that area than in the south as a whole and even extends into the north, particularly Ohio.

Eastern KY and southern WV is collectively among the poorest regions in the US.

If you want some traditional southern decay try the Mississippi river. From Arkansas all the way down the river tells some of the saddest stories of the south in poverty and economic regression. Especially in the state of its namesake. Mississippi (the state) is individually the poorest state in the country, and it does show.

Even then, you'll still find fairly well off areas dotted around the worst the US offers (in terms of money). Much in the same way as you will find pockets of deep despair in traditionally wealthy regions (See un-sung parts of New England).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 07:35 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Pretty vile post. They could do the same thing for most of our urban areas, you could do a zoo trip through the train trip from florida to dc and all the ghettos and the ghettos of the northeast corridor, camden . newark, chester, etc.
I don't think she meant it as a positive deal.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM

4,857 posts, read 2,991,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Nope, stereo types not true either,, very diverse and integrated city now...
Nashville is a southern city. As is Atlanta.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,433,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nashville is a southern city. As is Atlanta.
Never said Nashville wasn't southern, just new South, as is Atlanta.. I just stated it doesn't fit the bill for the stereotypes most people give it.. It's also considered upper South and not deep South.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:08 AM

4,213 posts, read 2,835,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Never said Nashville wasn't southern, just new South, as is Atlanta.. I just stated it doesn't fit the bill for the stereotypes most people give it.. It's also considered upper South and not deep South.
This website was the only time I'd ever heard Nashville described as Upper South. The Upper South was always, where I grew up anyway, considered the Virginias and Kentucky, and Maryland of one felt inclined to include them. Tennessee was always considered the middle of the South--metro Memphis is specifically known as the "Mid-South". Tennessee in its entirety, I've never heard called Upper South in real life...

Old 02-22-2018, 02:03 AM

6,586 posts, read 3,674,133 times
Wow - Remind me not to take a vacation with OP.
Reminds me of a couple of senior citizens I met once driving a huge RV halfway across the country to go visit a flood disaster area just to gawk at the flood devastation. Having endured a major flood in 1993 I couldn’t imagine it as a tourist attraction.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:24 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,406,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This website was the only time I'd ever heard Nashville described as Upper South. The Upper South was always, where I grew up anyway, considered the Virginias and Kentucky, and Maryland of one felt inclined to include them. Tennessee was always considered the middle of the South--metro Memphis is specifically known as the "Mid-South". Tennessee in its entirety, I've never heard called Upper South in real life...
Interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upland_South

Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM

56,114 posts, read 54,613,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Wow - Remind me not to take a vacation with OP.
Reminds me of a couple of senior citizens I met once driving a huge RV halfway across the country to go visit a flood disaster area just to gawk at the flood devastation. Having endured a major flood in 1993 I couldn’t imagine it as a tourist attraction.
People did the same thing after Sandy in New Jersey. Came driving through to gawk. Contrary to the incorrect perception that it was all rich people who lost their summer beach homes, most of the small houses along the bayshore belonging to working-class people bore the brunt of the destruction.

I remember a newspaper photo of one woman out trying to salvage what she could from the soggy pile that had been her house and who had erected a sign to the effect that "Instead of driving through and taking pictures, why not stop and HELP?"

Old 02-25-2018, 02:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Pretty vile post. They could do the same thing for most of our urban areas, you could do a zoo trip through the train trip from florida to dc and all the ghettos and the ghettos of the northeast corridor, camden . newark, chester, etc.
Relax. Its a joke and Natasha Leggero did the same thing about the ghetto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w1wQViHbo8

Old 02-25-2018, 03:16 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,392,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

Nashville is only 2 hours from Evansville, Indiana. Any place in the South where in a couple of hours you are in a northern state, is the Upper South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or