U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I am sad that you think about Baltimore....I kinda wish it would move itself to a different state...

Crabs and boats, yes. Old Bay seasoning is a Maryland thing, but I don't know if I think of it as a regional thing.
Baltimore is the urban embodiment of MD culture. Old Bay is Baltimore thing, Rowhouses are a Baltimore thing, Being quirky is a Baltimore thing, One of the greatest waterfronts on the planet is a Baltimore thing, The Star Spangled Banner is a Baltimore thing. You want all that to move to another state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:00 PM

2,321 posts, read 3,009,708 times
Depending what you call the Mid-Atlantic. I consider MD, VA and DE the true Mid-Atlantic as we blend from South tho North. A few things come to mind in that region.

Scrapple,
popularity of steamed crabs dumped on a table covered in paper
The Chesapeake bay
Skipjacks
The Chesapeake bay deadrise (regional crab boats)
Lifelike bird carvings started from carving duck/goose decoys
Oysters (fall/winter oyster roasts)
our MD flag
Punkin chunkin
Annapolis and the naval acadamy
Norfolk and the shipbuilding
Chesapeake bay bridge twin span
Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel
Assateque/Chincoteque wild pony's
Washington DC
and many, many more

Old 06-29-2017, 05:11 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,219,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is the urban embodiment of MD culture. Old Bay is Baltimore thing, Rowhouses are a Baltimore thing, Being quirky is a Baltimore thing, One of the greatest waterfronts on the planet is a Baltimore thing, The Star Spangled Banner is a Baltimore thing. You want all that to move to another state?
Yes. I'm not a fan of Baltimore in any sense. Don't agree with all of your assertions but it's not worth debating as it's not the point of the thread. To each their own

Old 06-29-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuyForLife View Post
Rowhouses. Scrapple. Crab cakes. Wawa. Lacrosse. Catholic schools and universities. The Mid Atlantic has tons of defining characteristics.
Are rowhouses mid Atlantic? Interesting. I never thought of that but they probably are in the US. Honestly I associate them with Victorian London more than here but you are probably right.

How did I forget about lacrosse?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:26 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,278,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
One of the greatest waterfronts on the planet is a Baltimore thing
Even in the US alone, have you been to SD, Chicago and Miami?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Yeah the waterfront in Baltimore is wayyy overrated by any standard. But this is not a thread about Baltimore.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Depending what you call the Mid-Atlantic. I consider MD, VA and DE the true Mid-Atlantic as we blend from South tho North. A few things come to mind in that region.

Scrapple,
popularity of steamed crabs dumped on a table covered in paper
The Chesapeake bay
Skipjacks
The Chesapeake bay deadrise (regional crab boats)
Lifelike bird carvings started from carving duck/goose decoys
Oysters (fall/winter oyster roasts)
our MD flag
Punkin chunkin
Annapolis and the naval acadamy
Norfolk and the shipbuilding
Chesapeake bay bridge twin span
Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel
Assateque/Chincoteque wild pony's
Washington DC
and many, many more
According to many standards, mid Atlantic also included NY NJ PA WVa and sometimes Connecticut as well as MD VA DC and DE.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM

368 posts, read 269,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Are rowhouses mid Atlantic? Interesting. I never thought of that but they probably are in the US. Honestly I associate them with Victorian London more than here but you are probably right.

How did I forget about lacrosse?
Rowhomes are a mid-atlantic trait. I mean sure you may have neighborhoods in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, Cincinatti, St Louis, and San Francisco that resemble something like rowhomes, but not quite it.

New York has brownstones in some neighborhoods which are uniquely New York in style, not much like rowhomes in the mid atlantic. Boston has triple deckers and Chicago had greystones.

Cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond, even Pittsburgh, and smaller cities like Trenton, Camden, Allentown, Reading, Chester, Wilmington, Lancaster, York, & Harrisburg. Alll these cities are abundant in rowhouses.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:53 PM

368 posts, read 269,914 times
I think Mid -Atlantic is forbthe most part a region with a mixed southern/northeastern identity. Stretching from Virginia to New Jersey in its broadest definition.

Virginia (and sometimes including portions of NC) tend to be the southern leaning portion of the region.

Maryland is a little more neutral.

And Delaware, Pennsylania, and New Jersey (and even sometimes portions of NY) is the more northeast leaning portion.

-Historical region
-lots of economic and government power (cities tend be influential)
-many world class universities and HBCUs
-abundant in rowhomes
-poverty/wealth gap (abundant in dangerous ghettos like Camden or East Baltimore and wealthy areas like somewhere in the DC or the Main Line in the Philly area)
-cities tend to be coastal (as compared to the Southern portion of the eastcoast)
-large numbers of Black Americans, Italians, Irish, Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Rican/Dominican & even Central American), and Caribbean Blacks in its urban cities. Big on ethnic cultures in the inner cities.
-Large Black American populations in suburban and rural areas especially in Virginia, Maryland, & Delaware.
-Crab cakes & Cheese steaks
-Chesapeake Bay & Delaware Bay
-Unique accents (especially in Maryland). Virginiaians mostly sound southern, while people from NJ, DE, & PA usually have a northern sounding accent.
-another thing people usually dress with more fitted clothing, Tims are very popular there. Beard with low cut hair is popular among blacks especially in the northen portion, Philly, NJ n Bmore. While Dreads is popular in DC and VA.
-Nation of Islam is also very popular there, espexially in Philly, but also in NY and Baltimore. Mid Atlantic especially NY, Philly, & Baltimore is abundant in urban pro-black semi-religious groups.
-Drug business is big here, especially heroine, its big in Baltimore and the North Philadelphia Badlands.

Last edited by Spreadofknowledge; 06-29-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-29-2017, 05:56 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,156,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I haven't been to SD, will be in Chicago next week, and have been to Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or