U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:47 AM

2,110 posts, read 1,303,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
According to city data, apparently New York is a "Mid-Atlantic" city as well and also, brownstones are not uniquely New York. Every major city in the Bos-Wash Corridor has brownstones (with possibly DC being the only exception, though I'm not too sure).
Official US Census also calls NY and NJ Mid-Atlantic and I've always thought so growing up here. I know we're definitely not New England, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 08:49 AM

500 posts, read 329,494 times
When I think of the Mid Atlantic I think of the Bay. I think of beaches and boats, navy ships and piers. I think of crab cakes, soft shell crab sandwiches and old bay seasoning. I think of fried fish sandwiches and eating crab legs outdoors. I think of rowhomes and colonial architecture. I think of history, monuments and museums. I think of fishing and shipping terminals. I think of dense cities as well as isolated fishing communities and the Delmarva peninsula. I think of older people with unique accents. I think of Tidewater and Tangier Island.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:16 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
Everybody needs to have crab cakes, in Maryland.

And a cheese steak in Philly.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:33 AM

1,259 posts, read 695,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I think it was due to weather and income. I remember reading that and it surprised me. I will have to find the source.
That doesn't make any sense. You don't say a state is part of geographical region just because it has a similar income to another state that resides there lol. CT is the 4th richest state in the US (by income) behind California and above DC. Should I say CT is part of the west coast because it has similar income. Weather is silly too. CT definitely has more in common with the rest of New England weather wise than the mid atlantic.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:18 AM

7,737 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Mid-Atlantic has historically been the part of the Northeast which isn't in New England. That's certainly how I learned it in school. I mean, I realize that over time the upper part of the Atlantic South has become more northern influenced, but to act like the DMV have sole claim to the name is silly.
The Baltimore area uses the name quite frequently as well.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:30 AM

12,414 posts, read 11,910,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Baltimore area uses the name quite frequently as well.
Right. I have no issue with DE, MD, DC, and even increasingly NOVA being included in the mid-Atlantic. But the expansion of the term to include all of Virginia and sometimes even North Carolina, along with cutting out NY/NJ/PA, just seems weird to me.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:34 AM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times
Quote:
Right. I have no issue with DE, MD, DC, and even increasingly NOVA being included in the mid-Atlantic. But the expansion of the term to include all of Virginia and sometimes even North Carolina, along with cutting out NY/NJ/PA, just seems weird to me.
This.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:03 PM

500 posts, read 329,494 times
Quote:
I don't think that you can just cut nova out of Virginia. People *on here* have a tendency to do that. If NOVA is part of the mid-Atlantic then Virginia is mid-Atlantic. I don't agree with North Carolina being included but even professionally, in my experience, Virginia has always been apart of our mid-Atlantic branches. It's like saying Philadelphia is the mid-Atlantic(or Northeastern) but the entire rest of PA is not. Mid-Atlantic has never been a strictly defined region. If we are going by census then neither Maryland nor Delaware would be included. Other sources say that Delaware, Maryland and Virginia make up the main part of the region. Wikipedia has it going from New York to Virginia. I think it's kind of weird to act as though there is some universal, strict definition of the mid-Atlantic. Its impossible to accept Maryland then in the same breath ignore its past connection with Tidewater Virginia. The Chesapeake bay breathes life into Virginia just as it does Maryland. There's a reason that Delmarva is a thing. If residents of the state identify the state as mid-Atlantic then that is good enough for me.

Last edited by mpier015; 06-30-2017 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-30-2017, 12:23 PM

7,737 posts, read 6,132,233 times
The Mid Atlantic is both Northeastern (NY, PA, NJ, DE) and Southeastern (MD, VA) with Baltimore and Philly being the epicenter. The NYC area is the northern bookend, and the DC area is the southern bookend.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
The evolution of regional designations is fascinating to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or