U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 12:32 PM

368 posts, read 268,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Mid Atlantic is both Northeastern (NY, PA, NJ, DE) and Southeastern (MD, VA) with Baltimore and Philly being the epicenter. The NYC area is the northern bookend, and the DC area is the southern bookend.
I would say Richmond or even the Hampton Roads are the southern bookend. You cant include DC without Richmond and the Hampton Roads, those areas are very much tied to DC. And basically south leaning mid atlantic metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 12:42 PM

3,293 posts, read 1,645,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The Mid-Atlantic has historically been the part of the Northeast which isn't in New England. That's certainly how I learned it in school. I mean, I realize that over time the upper part of the Atlantic South has become more northern influenced, but to act like the DMV have sole claim to the name is silly.
You obviously didn't read my post carefully. Nowhere did I say DMV had "sole claim" to mid Atlantic!!I said those states are the states that "most commonly" CLAIM or "refer to themselves" as mid Atlantic. If you ask a person from NY or NJ which region in the US they live in, in my experience the majority will say the Northeast rather than the Mid Atlantic. Probably the same for most of PA too. All the states in the multiple definitions have "equal claim" to mid Atlantic, but the DMV more commonly uses the term than other states IMO. Is that clear enough for you?!

Old 06-30-2017, 12:46 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,209,609 times
Okay let's get back on track- this was not a thread debating the borders of the mid Atlantic....

Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 695,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Okay let's get back on track- this was not a thread debating the borders of the mid Atlantic....
I swear every mid Atlantic thread turns into debating the borders lol

Old 06-30-2017, 01:44 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
I swear every mid Atlantic thread turns into debating the borders lol
Just like every thread about the South (which has some overlap with the mid-Atlantic).

Old 06-30-2017, 02:06 PM

575 posts, read 568,542 times
Quote:
I am sad that you think about Baltimore....I kinda wish it would move itself to a different state...

Crabs and boats, yes. Old Bay seasoning is a Maryland thing, but I don't know if I think of it as a regional thing.
How can you post about Mid Atlantic and not include Baltimore?
I love Baltimore Johns Hopkins Hospital, Home of The American National Anthem was written in Baltimore @ Fort McHenry. Baltimore Ravens(Baltimore Colts), Baltimore Orioles, Crabs, Old Bay Seasoning, Baltimore Inner Harbor, Row Homes,...Not enough space to continue.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:31 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Quote:
I am always struck when I go south or north, or even west, that my beloved mid Atlantic region can seem a little bland. I am not trashing it or knocking it, but I am a bit sad that I can't think of a specific architectural flourish or cultural tradition that says "only in the mid Atlantic!" But maybe I am just having an off day.

So I ask you guys-- what is unique to the mid Atlantic region? Can you think of anything?
If Mid-Atlantic means

New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
West Virginia
Virginia
and WDC

then I can think of 4 stand out things about the Mid-Atlantic:

--- some of the largest and most important American cities very close to another
--- lots of American history dating to the colonial era
--- long coastlines with sandy ocean beaches and lots of marshland
--- the Appalachian mountains close to the major cities

Now by themselves, none of these 4 are unique. For instance, many states have coastlines, but not all do and of those that do, they may not have the beautiful swimmable beaches of the Mid-Atlantic. So it the combination of the 4 things that stand out to me about the Mid-Atlantic.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:43 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
If Mid-Atlantic means

New York
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Maryland
Delaware
West Virginia
Virginia
and WDC
I know you're not necessarily making the argument that these states and DC definitively comprise the mid-Atlantic, but to me it seems weird to include the states in both the historic mid-Atlantic (NJ, PA, NY) and the contemporary mid-Atlantic (DE, MD, DC, VA, WV). But that's just me.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,720,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Colonial history, rowhouses, brownstones, old dense northern cities, amusement parks on boardwalks, fall colours, crab shacks, quaint harbour towns, sailboats, pizza joints, diners.

Between the South and New England.
I like and agree with this concise answer. And the only reason you think it is bland, OP, is because it is the norm for you. I assure you someone from New Mexico will see it as a culturally distinguishable area from New England or the deep South.

Old 06-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,984 posts, read 3,448,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The Mid Atlantic is both Northeastern (NY, PA, NJ, DE) and Southeastern (MD, VA) with Baltimore and Philly being the epicenter. The NYC area is the northern bookend, and the DC area is the southern bookend.
Delaware is east of MD, not north of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or