U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2017, 12:05 PM

900 posts, read 765,002 times

Advertisements

Tidewater VA has been using the Mid-Atlantic designation for over 100 years. The name appears in many (old-ass) business names and on the sides of trucks (as in, "serving the Mid-Atlantic"). My grandparents, who would be around 110 today, used the term around me all the time (I'm in my mid 40's). We were taught it in school (Gloucester County pubic schools). Ask any old timer about an abandoned pier around the Peninsula or the Middle Peninsula and they will tell you "that's where we would catch the boat to Baltimore or to New York (James River = New York, rivers further up the bay = Baltimore)".

Richmond may be a little new to claiming the designation, I've only been here 20 years. I don't know the traditions that predate me

As another poster noted, it doesn't seem unique if you're used to it but someone from the PNW or Midwest would spot some things that are unique to them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 08:53 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,974 posts, read 3,453,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm aware of Delaware's location relative to MD's. Most of the state's population associates itself with the Philly area, so I just include DE with Philly and points north.
But Philly is mid-Atlantic as well as Baltimore, not much difference there.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 PM

35 posts, read 18,029 times
Yeah, New England cities are sooooo different compared to Mid-Atlantic ones.

Boston might as well be on another planet compared to New York and Philadelphia.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM

2,789 posts, read 1,631,167 times
Lax Bro's

Old 07-08-2017, 03:09 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,728,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheForest View Post
Yeah, New England cities are sooooo different compared to Mid-Atlantic ones.

Boston might as well be on another planet compared to New York and Philadelphia.

I get the sarcasm, but its a matter of perspective.

To a Northeasterner, D.C. and Boston seem world's apart. While from where I sit in Albuquerque, most people consider them very similar.

To a Parisian or Londoner, Los Angeles may be seen as NYC with palm trees. After all, both are characteristically American and share many distinctly American traits.

Someone from Beijing might think "Berlin, Houston, Sydney, it's all the same to me."

This thread is about getting that close-up perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or