Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times

Advertisements

I am always struck when I go south or north, or even west, that my beloved mid Atlantic region can seem a little bland. I am not trashing it or knocking it, but I am a bit sad that I can't think of a specific architectural flourish or cultural tradition that says "only in the mid Atlantic!" But maybe I am just having an off day.

So I ask you guys-- what is unique to the mid Atlantic region? Can you think of anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I just lump the mid-Atlantic into the northeast generally. Particularly Philly and to a lesser extent DC. It's generally the same

Old 06-29-2017, 02:11 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
American history comes to mind, the area is rife with it.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:27 PM

28 posts, read 25,674 times
I'm going to focus on Philly, but I think it'll make sense. The Continental Congress was held at Carpenters' Hall, and the State House, and eventually, the 1st U.S. Congress was held at Congress Hall (i.e. origin of our Declaration of Independence, and Constitution). This has earned Philly the title of the "Birthplace of America." Betsy Ross, who created the first American flag, was also a Philadelphian. There were also many important Revolutionary War battles fought in this area too. If you take some time to learn about our history, you'll see that there's plenty of culture here. Plus, cheesesteaks.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
I always think of Maryland and crabs and fishing boats and Baltimore.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:38 PM

27,558 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
So I ask you guys-- what is unique to the mid Atlantic region? Can you think of anything?
Can you think of any other city quite like Washington DC?

Not really. Pretty unique, I'd say, given that it's been the seat of the U.S. government for the last 220 years.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Can you think of any other city quite like Washington DC?

Not really. Pretty unique, I'd say, given that it's been the seat of the U.S. government for the last 220 years.
Yeah, we have some great cities. I am thinking of REGIONAL things. Like for example, New England has lots of Cape Cod and saltbox style houses with cedar shakes and window boxes. I see one, and I think "New England" no matter where it is.

The Southwest has a lot of turquoise jewelry. My friend has a squash blossom necklace that she wears and every time I see it I think "New Mexico" even though she probably didn't get it in the Southwest.

And the Southeast? My goodness. Biscuits and gravy. Greek revival mansions. Red beans and rice. Just so many.

What does the mid Atlantic have?

Old 06-29-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I always think of Maryland and crabs and fishing boats and Baltimore.
I am sad that you think about Baltimore....I kinda wish it would move itself to a different state...

Crabs and boats, yes. Old Bay seasoning is a Maryland thing, but I don't know if I think of it as a regional thing.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,069,239 times
When I think "mid-Atlantic", I think Colonial history...Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Alexandria, Mount Vernon, Monticello, Annapolis.

I think "tidewater" and the Chesapeake Bay...crab feasts and fishing.

I think Amish country.

Truly, the mid-Atlantic states seem to blend the best of New England and Southern stereotypes.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:54 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yeah, we have some great cities. I am thinking of REGIONAL things. Like for example, New England has lots of Cape Cod and saltbox style houses with cedar shakes and window boxes. I see one, and I think "New England" no matter where it is.

The Southwest has a lot of turquoise jewelry. My friend has a squash blossom necklace that she wears and every time I see it I think "New Mexico" even though she probably didn't get it in the Southwest.

And the Southeast? My goodness. Biscuits and gravy. Greek revival mansions. Red beans and rice. Just so many.

What does the mid Atlantic have?
Rowhouses. Scrapple. Crab cakes. Wawa. Lacrosse. Catholic schools and universities. The Mid Atlantic has tons of defining characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.