Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:57 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Yeah the waterfront in Baltimore is wayyy overrated by any standard. But this is not a thread about Baltimore.
You keep bringing up Baltimore, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 06:00 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I haven't been to SD, will be in Chicago next week, and have been to Miami.
Trust me, even though Bmore's waterfront rocks, they are one level above.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:01 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,427 times
Quote:
You keep bringing up Baltimore, though.
No you did. I agreed to disagree with you and agreed to agree with another poster about the waterfront.

Please start a thread about why Baltimore is awesome in the MD forum and I will happily comment.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Rowhomes are a mid-atlantic trait. I mean sure you may have neighborhoods in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, Cincinatti, St Louis, and San Francisco that resemble something like rowhomes, but not quite it.

New York has brownstones in some neighborhoods which are uniquely New York in style, not much like rowhomes in the mid atlantic. Boston has triple deckers and Chicago had greystones.

Cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond, even Pittsburgh, and smaller cities like Trenton, Camden, Allentown, Reading, Chester, Wilmington, Lancaster, York, & Harrisburg. Alll these cities are abundant in rowhouses.
Yeah this cheered me up. I agree. Thank you!

Old 06-29-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I think Mid -Atlantic is forbthe most part a region with a mixed southern/northeastern identity. Stretching from Virginia to New Jersey in its broadest definition.

Virginia (and sometimes including portions of NC) tend to be the southern leaning portion of the region.

Maryland is a little more neutral.

And Delaware, Pennsylania, and New Jersey (and even sometimes portions of NY) is the more northeast leaning portion.

-Historical region
-lots of economic and government power (cities tend be influential)
-many world class universities and HBCUs
-abundant in rowhomes
-poverty/wealth gap (abundant in dangerous ghettos like Camden or East Baltimore and wealthy areas like somewhere in the DC or the Main Line in the Philly area)
-cities tend to be coastal (as compared to the Southern portion of the eastcoast)
-large numbers of Black Americans, Italians, Irish, Caribbean Hispanics (Puerto Rican/Dominican & even Central American), and Caribbean Blacks in its urban cities.
-Large Black American populations in suburban and rural areas especially in Virginia, Maryland, & Delaware.
-Crab cakes & Cheese steaks
-Chesapeake Bay & Delaware Bay
-Unique accents (especially in Maryland). Virginiaians mostly sound southern, while people from NJ, DE, & PA usually have a northern sounding accent.
I never think of it as being northern or southern, though I have seen this debated and debated. I think its known for its in-betweeness. I do agree that the edges of the region are more like one neighbor or another.

I am also confused by the assertion of the wealth gap as I have always thought of this region as the land of suburban development and the gaps are far less pronounced than in some other parts of the US. But I don't have any data to back that up.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:21 PM

368 posts, read 453,819 times
Quote:
I never think of it as being northern or southern, though I have seen this debated and debated. I think its known for its in-betweeness. I do agree that the edges of the region are more like one neighbor or another.

I am also confused by the assertion of the wealth gap as I have always thought of this region as the land of suburban development and the gaps are far less pronounced than in some other parts of the US. But I don't have any data to back that up.
Well, essentially this is where Northeast meets the South, and kinda mesh.
And i actually think this where the wealth gap is the most pronounced... by far. Some of the most dangerous ghettos in the country literally a mile or 2 away from some of the wealthiest suburbs in the country.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
No you did. I agreed to disagree with you and agreed to agree with another poster about the waterfront.

Please start a thread about why Baltimore is awesome in the MD forum and I will happily comment.
I brought up Baltimore in response to your post. I don't have a problem with you not being a fan of Baltimore. That's your prerogative, I was just stating a few facts about the city.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I brought up Baltimore in response to your post. I don't have a problem with you not being a fan of Baltimore. That's your prerogative, I was just stating a few facts about the city.
Those were not facts, but if you want to debate please do so in the MD forum. This is not a thread for that.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:35 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,989 times
Quote:
Rowhomes are a mid-atlantic trait. I mean sure you may have neighborhoods in cities like New York, Boston, Chicago, Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, Cincinatti, St Louis, and San Francisco that resemble something like rowhomes, but not quite it.

New York has brownstones in some neighborhoods which are uniquely New York in style, not much like rowhomes in the mid atlantic. Boston has triple deckers and Chicago had greystones.

Cities like Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Richmond, even Pittsburgh, and smaller cities like Trenton, Camden, Allentown, Reading, Chester, Wilmington, Lancaster, York, & Harrisburg. Alll these cities are abundant in rowhouses.
According to city data, apparently New York is a "Mid-Atlantic" city as well and also, brownstones are not uniquely New York. Every major city in the Bos-Wash Corridor has brownstones (with possibly DC being the only exception, though I'm not too sure).

Old 06-29-2017, 07:42 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Federal, Georgian and colonial architecture (Williamsburg has had as big of an impact on American suburban home design as anything).

I definately think of Federal architecture when I think of the Mid Atlantic.

Oysters, crabs, sailing, formality, college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.