U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 03:26 PM

35 posts, read 18,029 times

Advertisements

Some of the best in the country. Main Line is top three favorite of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:38 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Frankly, I can't think of any collective of suburbs that is monolithic in its' wealth, and that includes the North Shore and the Main Line. NS has middle and working class suburbs like North Chicago, Waukegan, Evanston and Skokie; the Main Line includes Wayne, Broomall and Media.
Yes, I can't offhand think of a nickname for the San Mateo communities, but I could think of others.

New York = The Gold Coast (Westchester/Fairfield), Locust Valley (Nassau/Long Island)
Dallas = The Park Cities
Atlanta = The Golden Triangle, The Northside
New Orleans = Uptown
Los Angeles = The Hills
Nashville = The West End
Cleveland = The Heights
I'm not sure where you get your information on the North Shore, Lovein.

Waukegan and North Chicago are not now, never were, nor never will be "North Shore". That string of communities stops along the lake in Lake Bluff. Waukegan and North Chicago have nothing the least bit North Shore about them.

Skokie doesn't really get North Shore status as it pretty much is middle income as you describe. As such, it differs from other communities that abut the North Shore and share some of its qualities....Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield.....these are places that may be included by those who see an extended North Shore; that said, it is sometimes included as being "North Shore.:.

Evanston is different from other North Shore communities. To start with, it is city-like and dense in a way unlike any of the others. Yet Evanston has always been a good fit for being "North Shore". It has always been the downtown, the center for the North Shore. I don't see the concept of Evanston being "working class". First off, there is enormous wealth to the town and a drive along Sheridan Road which parallels the lakefront reveals the type of housing that is definitively North Shore. Evanston is one of the most desirable Chicago suburbs due to its sense of the urban and the urbane. Prestigous for many reasons, a big one being the home of Northwestern.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Chicago)...."However, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are generally considered to be the core members of the North Shore, as all are affluent communities that border the lake just north of Chicago. Other suburbs such as Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highwood, Skokie, and Northfield are often considered to be a part of the North Shore, but do not border Lake Michigan."

Old 06-30-2017, 07:19 PM

23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I'm not sure where you get your information on the North Shore, Lovein.

Waukegan and North Chicago are not now, never were, nor never will be "North Shore". That string of communities stops along the lake in Lake Bluff. Waukegan and North Chicago have nothing the least bit North Shore about them.

Skokie doesn't really get North Shore status as it pretty much is middle income as you describe. As such, it differs from other communities that abut the North Shore and share some of its qualities....Glenview, Northfield, Northbrook, Deerfield.....these are places that may be included by those who see an extended North Shore; that said, it is sometimes included as being "North Shore.:.

Evanston is different from other North Shore communities. To start with, it is city-like and dense in a way unlike any of the others. Yet Evanston has always been a good fit for being "North Shore". It has always been the downtown, the center for the North Shore. I don't see the concept of Evanston being "working class". First off, there is enormous wealth to the town and a drive along Sheridan Road which parallels the lakefront reveals the type of housing that is definitively North Shore. Evanston is one of the most desirable Chicago suburbs due to its sense of the urban and the urbane. Prestigous for many reasons, a big one being the home of Northwestern.

from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Shore_(Chicago)...."However, Evanston, Wilmette, Kenilworth, Winnetka, Glencoe, Highland Park, Lake Forest, and Lake Bluff are generally considered to be the core members of the North Shore, as all are affluent communities that border the lake just north of Chicago. Other suburbs such as Glenview, Northbrook, Deerfield, Highwood, Skokie, and Northfield are often considered to be a part of the North Shore, but do not border Lake Michigan."
OK. I'm clearly not a resident; you are. I was in and out of there frequently (guest lecturing at Northwestern, usually) and never failed to visit my cousins in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff. I love the charming town centers of the suburbs there. Marvelous, and you're lucky that you live in such a place.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:26 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times
Quote:
OK. I'm clearly not a resident; you are. I was in and out of there frequently (guest lecturing at Northwestern, usually) and never failed to visit my cousins in Lake Forest and Lake Bluff. I love the charming town centers of the suburbs there. Marvelous, and you're lucky that you live in such a place.
sorry....don't live in the North Shore, nor did I ever say I did.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:08 PM

23,054 posts, read 35,012,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
sorry....don't live in the North Shore, nor did I ever say I did.
But you are from Chicago.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 AM

7,816 posts, read 12,321,925 times
Wealthy Northwest DC connects directly to Chevy Chase in Maryland and then Bethesda to the Northwest of that.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:57 AM

3,296 posts, read 1,649,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Wealthy Northwest DC connects directly to Chevy Chase in Maryland and then Bethesda to the Northwest of that.
That's not what he's really describing though. Bethesda and Chevy Chase are only 2 towns, not a continuous string of suburbs. Plus, both Bethesda and CC feel like an extension of DC rather than distinct suburbs (even though they technically are). With the exception of Silver Spring (which isn't even directly next to/continuous with Bethesda/CC), there's so much traditional suburbia sprawl in that area.

To me, what makes the Main Line and North Shore suburbs unique is that they are a continuous string of suburbs that are right outside of major cities, yet most are very quaint and very distinct; they don't look/feel like their respective cities (Chicago or Philly) but they don't look like typical suburbia either.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:37 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,635,825 times
How about South Minneapolis with Edina, Bloomington and Minnetonka, etc.

Old 07-02-2017, 03:58 PM

56,542 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Perhaps the Woodward Avenue Corridor suburbs of Detroit from around Pleasant Ridge north through/along Huntington Woods, parts of Royal Oak, parts of Ferndale, Berkley, Birmingham, Beverly Hills and Bloomfield Hills. Royal Oak and Ferndale kind of serves a similar purpose as Evanston, with the others having more complete or swaths of wealth/upper middle class areas nearby. This actually goes into some nice, old money areas of the city of Detroit as well(Sherwood Forest, Palmer Woods, University District, etc.).

There's also the Grosse Pointes in the Detroit area as well(Grosse Pointe Park, Grosse Pointe, Grosse Pointe Farms, Grosse Pointe Shores and Grosse Pointe Woods). All of these municipalities have median household incomes around 90k or higher up to 140k or so.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-02-2017 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 PM

9,423 posts, read 5,242,800 times
Quote:
Frankly, I can't think of any collective of suburbs that is monolithic in its' wealth, and that includes the North Shore and the Main Line. NS has middle and working class suburbs like North Chicago, Waukegan, Evanston and Skokie; the Main Line includes Wayne, Broomall and Media.
Yes, I can't offhand think of a nickname for the San Mateo communities, but I could think of others.

New York = The Gold Coast (Westchester/Fairfield), Locust Valley (Nassau/Long Island)
Dallas = The Park Cities
Atlanta = The Golden Triangle, The Northside
New Orleans = Uptown
Los Angeles = The Hills
Nashville = The West End
Cleveland = The Heights
Broomall and Media are not part of the Main Line. The Main Line towns follow most of the regional rail stops on today's Septa's
Paoli/Thorndale line which used to be part of Philadelphia's suburban passenger rail during the days of the PA Railroad.

The Main Line towns are: Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor/St Davids, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Daylesford and Paoli.

I tend to include Gladwyne as part of Main Line because of the wealth there. But, technically, it's not part of the Main Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or