U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 AM

4,464 posts, read 7,531,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Broomall and Media are not part of the Main Line. The Main Line towns follow most of the regional rail stops on today's Septa's
Paoli/Thorndale line which used to be part of Philadelphia's suburban passenger rail during the days of the PA Railroad.

The Main Line towns are: Narberth, Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Rosemont, Villanova, Radnor/St Davids, Wayne, Strafford, Devon, Berwyn, Daylesford and Paoli.

I tend to include Gladwyne as part of Main Line because of the wealth there. But, technically, it's not part of the Main Line.
That's definitely the "core" of the historic Main Line, although many tend to include Malvern, as well.

Interestingly (and this may be true of areas surrounding Chicago's North Shore, as well), it's very clear that a lot of more recently affluent areas in suburban Philly have centered growth on areas right outside of the traditional "Main Line," so the modern-day wealth corridor is now as far west as Downingtown, as far south as Kennett Square and as far north as Phoenixville.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-03-2017 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 10:34 AM

57 posts, read 32,096 times
Gold Coast of Connecticut, right along the Metro North line to NYC. It is the highest income string of suburbs in the USA.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:21 AM

154 posts, read 92,033 times
Boston is just wealthy pretty much everywhere along the suburbs. Makes a crescent shape. Not a linear pattern. However, Boston's Back Bay along Boylston Street is linear and richer than the surroundings.

Old 06-19-2018, 11:30 AM

4,863 posts, read 2,995,112 times
Dc?

Old 06-19-2018, 11:49 AM

4,257 posts, read 2,522,601 times
Milwaukee really is a mini Chicago. We also have a wealthy strip running from downtown north along the shore. If we're just looking at suburbs it goes Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Bayside, and Mequon.

I find it to be the best location in the Milwaukee area. It's definitely easier to go n/s through Milwaukee than it is e/w. Everything I could possibly need I can get to within 20 minutes without using the interstate. Whether that be by car, bus, or bike.

Of course none of this is on the scale of Chicago or Philadelphia.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:54 AM

5,918 posts, read 6,552,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Milwaukee really is a mini Chicago. We also have a wealthy strip running from downtown north along the shore. If we're just looking at suburbs it goes Shorewood, Whitefish Bay, Fox Point, Bayside, and Mequon.

I find it to be the best location in the Milwaukee area. It's definitely easier to go n/s through Milwaukee than it is e/w. Everything I could possibly need I can get to within 20 minutes without using the interstate. Whether that be by car, bus, or bike.

Of course none of this is on the scale of Chicago or Philadelphia.
Milwaukee's north lakefront suburbs are a lot like Chicago's North Shore, as you note on a smaller scale. One difference, I think, is that in Milwaukee, along this strip, the wealth begins in the city. The far north end of Milwaukee, from about UMW northward, feels and looks pretty much like the suburbs you listed. Contrast that with Chicago's North Shore which begins when you leave Rogers Park (Chgo) and enter Evanston. Rogers Park is a world away from the North Shore.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:23 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,312,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by So FL Guy 1289 View Post
Gold Coast of Connecticut, right along the Metro North line to NYC. It is the highest income string of suburbs in the USA.
Also the other side of the Long Island Sound on the North Shore of Long Island.

Actually I thought OP meant North Shore Long Island by the thread title! I didn’t know Chicago also had an area of wealthy suburbs also called “North Shore”!

Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,024,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Also the other side of the Long Island Sound on the North Shore of Long Island.

Actually I thought OP meant North Shore Long Island by the thread title! I didn’t know Chicago also had an area of wealthy suburbs also called “North Shore”!

It does, and it's pretty amazing.

Old 06-22-2018, 09:31 AM

991 posts, read 501,132 times
St. Louis's wealthy areas (both in the city and suburbs) run along the central corridor lining I-64. Central West End in the City Clayton, Ladue, Creve Coeur, Frontenac, Town and Country, Chesterfield. With other higher end suburbs adjacent (Kirkwood, Webster Groves, Sunset Hills, etc)

Old 06-22-2018, 09:44 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,950,074 times
Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, Carefree, and Cave Creek, although not in a line (they do all border each other), form a wealthy area of the PHX burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or