U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:58 AM

4,231 posts, read 2,510,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Milwaukee's north lakefront suburbs are a lot like Chicago's North Shore, as you note on a smaller scale. One difference, I think, is that in Milwaukee, along this strip, the wealth begins in the city. The far north end of Milwaukee, from about UMW northward, feels and looks pretty much like the suburbs you listed. Contrast that with Chicago's North Shore which begins when you leave Rogers Park (Chgo) and enter Evanston. Rogers Park is a world away from the North Shore.
For sure. The Lower and Upper East Side are definitely nice. I was going to mention that but then specifically referred to suburbs only.

I just drove to Toledo from milwaukee and that portion through Chicago in the rain was painful .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:36 PM

932 posts, read 397,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
As OP, I definitely agree with you here. I liked the input of other forumers, but I'm not sure I saw the same dynamics in operation in other areas as one would see on the North Shore and on the Main Line. Similarities, mind you (one had mentioned the Caltrain route that services cities on The Peninsula.....I also mentioned the same one....but those suburbs on The Peninsula don't form any solid region of wealth, although many of the towns are wealthy. Also, they don't describe a recognized entity....there is no word for Atherton/Hillsborough/Palo Alto, etc. as only terms like "The Peninsula" or "San Mateo Co." (of which they are part, but hardly whole) cover them
I think those are relatively minor quibbles. Overall, I think the San Francisco Peninsula is as close as it gets to the Main Line/North Shore despite some cities not having a super wealthy image. Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Atherton, San Carlos, Belmont, Burlingame, Hillsborough, etc are very wealthy places that form a linear string along commuter rail. Places like San Mateo and Redwood City have some less savory areas, but they also have sections of extraordinary wealth.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 PM

2,086 posts, read 1,104,667 times
Boston's MetroWest. They string together in a huge collective bunch. Some pretty remarkable wealth in that belt. If it weren't for waltham/Framingham, it would be even more extensive East to West, North to South.

Lexington, Lincoln, Concord, Carlisle, Weston, Wayland, Wellesley, Needham, Dover, Sherborn are continued with no real break-up.

Probably my favorite collection of suburbs that I've seen.. You could also include place like Newton, Brookline, etc. though I'm not sure they really identify as MetroWest.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:22 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,567,761 times
Franklin and Brentwood in Nashville are very affluent in a line, but they are not quite the North Shore.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:03 PM

1,546 posts, read 710,668 times
I haven't really found an equivalent in DC. It seems like the rich, old-money people mostly congregate in outlying northwestern neighborhoods of the city proper, e.g. Chevy Chase, Foxhall Crescent, Palisades.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:15 PM

1,004 posts, read 602,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I haven't really found an equivalent in DC. It seems like the rich, old-money people mostly congregate in outlying northwestern neighborhoods of the city proper, e.g. Chevy Chase, Foxhall Crescent, Palisades.
Right. Thereís Upper NW DC itself along with Chevy Chase and Bethesda, but North Bethesda and Rockville immediately to the north along the rail lines are a lot more middle class in character. Potomac is northwest along the river and Great Falls in Virginia is across the Potomac over in Virginia and like potomac, seems a lot more recent in development (from the Mid-20th Century to present) than the Main Line or North Shore. Thereís nothing compared to the Main Line here because suburban development came a lot later to DC comparatively speaking. Much of the NCA/DMV Area is more sunbeltish in its development.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 PM

3,502 posts, read 1,701,498 times
I’m almost a 100% sure Miami/South Florida has at least one area like that, the area is such a linear metro it would make sense if their was a string of suburbs north to south between Miami and Fort Lauderdale or Fort Lauderdale and West Palm beach that was just wealth.

Houston kind of has an area like that South if I-ten and 69 that includes starting from the TMC, West University, Southside Place, Bellaire, Uptown(Houston neighborhood), The Villages and Memorial Area (Houston neighborhood). It isn’t exactly a straight line but it’s continuous wealth all the way out to the Energy Corridor area and contains the two wealthiest suburban areas in Houston, The Villages and West University/Bellaire area.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 8,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Iím almost a 100% sure Miami/South Florida has at least one area like that, the area is such a linear metro it would make sense if their was a string of suburbs north to south between Miami and Fort Lauderdale or Fort Lauderdale and West Palm beach that was just wealth.

Houston kind of has an area like that South if I-ten and 69 that includes starting from the TMC, West University, Southside Place, Bellaire, Uptown(Houston neighborhood), The Villages and Memorial Area (Houston neighborhood). It isnít exactly a straight line but itís continuous wealth all the way out to the Energy Corridor area and contains the two wealthiest suburban areas in Houston, The Villages and West University/Bellaire area.
The Katy Freeway is noted as the only commute in Houston that doesn't involve transversing declining neighborhoods. It's all affluent from Katy to Downtown Houston.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:06 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
For sure. The Lower and Upper East Side are definitely nice. I was going to mention that but then specifically referred to suburbs only.

I just drove to Toledo from milwaukee and that portion through Chicago in the rain was painful .
If I'm getting your locations right (and I think I am), the Lower East Side is far more urban in nature than the Upper (which tends to be more suburban).......right? So in Chicago, what would be comparable would be this: the North Side lakefront (corresponding to your East Side lakefront) is an area of wealth that runs up from the downtown area, definitely through Lakeview, but north of that, it sort of peters out and the far North Side lakefront (Uptown, Edgewater, Rogers Park) is less desirable. In Milwaukee, my impression is that going north on the lakefront from downtown and into the lakefront suburbs is more solidly "nice" than what we have in Chicago....in the sense that I really don't see the gap in Milwaukee we have in Chicago.

If this makes any sense.

That rain you mentioned? They moved the animals in Lincoln Park Zoo a 1/2 mile to the east on an ark in Lake Michigan. Those were some incredibly wet days.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:10 PM

5,890 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Iím almost a 100% sure Miami/South Florida has at least one area like that, the area is such a linear metro it would make sense if their was a string of suburbs north to south between Miami and Fort Lauderdale or Fort Lauderdale and West Palm beach that was just wealth.

Houston kind of has an area like that South if I-ten and 69 that includes starting from the TMC, West University, Southside Place, Bellaire, Uptown(Houston neighborhood), The Villages and Memorial Area (Houston neighborhood). It isnít exactly a straight line but itís continuous wealth all the way out to the Energy Corridor area and contains the two wealthiest suburban areas in Houston, The Villages and West University/Bellaire area.
as OP, I can't believe I missed the Florida gold coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or