U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 AM

11,171 posts, read 22,363,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I haven't but I have no desire to.

No reason to see Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Mississippi.
Seems so ignorant when I hear people say things like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
I've been to 49 (exc Alaska), my checkoffs may include never getting out of the car in one case (RI). Not really sure what criteria counts so it's up to each person. As far as airports, I think a decent 2-hour conversation with the barkeep probably gives more insight to a state than people barreling across Nebraska on I70 at 90 mph.

I'm pretty sure I will eventually get to Alaska but it just hasn't worked out yet. I hit my 47th, 48th & 49th state (Maine-NH-VT) more than 40 years ago and that required a middle of the night, out-of-the-way dash after leaving Boston, seeing not much more that the road in front of our headlights. Did this strictly to tick-off those three on my list. I have since been back to those three on a real vacation savoring much of the beauty of those three states over a period of a couple weeks.

Washington/Oregon were probably the only other two that I've set foot on without really seeing much as those were visited during a teen-age hitch-hiking foray where we didn't veer too much from the interstate tho we were taken to a hippy campground/party outside of Spokane for one night.

I once suggested that a true visit should only count if you have stolen something from, punched someone or had intimate relations with someone with that state's gov't issued ID, but I am now opposed to punching or stealing from strangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Seems so ignorant when I hear people say things like this.
probably just sarcasm considering they apparently live in Reno

Old 07-27-2017, 09:22 AM

760 posts, read 588,107 times
I've at least been to all the lower 48. But also 11 Canadian provinces...so I guess there is that.

The embarrassing part of these travels was that it was all for visiting amusement parks. Back in high school, my friends and I liked to road trip to see how many different roller coasters we could ride. We would try to beat each other, or travel to remote places and visit the really obscure parks. I hit 500 different coasters after visiting about 40 states.

Of all of the places I have been to, I actually found a lot of the north east states to be pretty "drive through". Just endless suburbs and urban centers with tons of traffic.

Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana were actually pretty interesting. Arkansas was by far the most surprising to drive through, I enjoyed the unique scenery. Texas was kind of a let down to drive through.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:24 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,956,580 times
I haven't been to all 50 states but I know that one of my uncles has!

Old 07-27-2017, 10:34 AM

352 posts, read 291,210 times
I have but it's no big deal. Indiana, Illinois outside of Chicago, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, etc are instantly forgettable.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:12 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,680 times
Been extensively to 44, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Plan is to visit all 50 before I kick the proverbial bucket.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:17 AM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
I have not been to all 50 (30 something) but I have been to every single state that I want to except for Alaska and a few states I would have never gone to on purpose.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:15 PM

406 posts, read 287,705 times
I've only been to:

Arizona
California
Connecticut
Delaware
DC (obviously not a state but,..still)
Florida
Illinois
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Nevada
New Jersey
New York (where I live)
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Texas
Virginia

I plan on going to all 50 before I have kids

Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 PM

482 posts, read 250,813 times
You guys are putting me to shame.

To the best of my knowledge I've only been to 24 states, and yes this includes the layovers and the drive-thrus. In my own defense, I'm still fairly young -- mid-thirties. My number will gradually increase over the course of the next couple of years, but it's unlikely to ever get anywhere close to 50 because that's not a goal for me.

Let's just be honest: some places are a lot more interesting than others. Since I'm on a limited budget, I go for quality over quantity. I don't travel often, but when I do I make sure it's an unforgettable experience. I won't go to a "meh" place just to check it off my list.

But to the few folks who truly have hit all 50, Congratulations! It's a unique and admirable accomplishment.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:25 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I've at least been to all the lower 48. But also 11 Canadian provinces...so I guess there is that.
Neat trick. Last I heard there are only 10 provinces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or