U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:42 AM

4,437 posts, read 2,612,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I have a hard time understand the weird, knee-jerk snobbishness with the "I would never go to...." crowd. There isn't a state out there that doesn't have some major coolness about it. It's almost as if the people who write that are absolutely determined to be ignorant.
I didn't say " I'd never go"... I said "I have no desire to go...". BIG difference. Doesn't mean that the states don't have offerings, I just have no desire to go there.

I doubt I'll cover the Western half of the country, but that doesn't mean I don't have a desire to visit some.

As I said, being disabled, I won't be doing much more travel and have to pick where I do have a desire to go.

Maybe AZ, and Vegas, if you want to call Vegas"visiting Nevada". ( Yes I realize there's more to the state than Vegas).

I desire now to travel where I'm going to retire and live out my final days, with side pleasure trips to desired places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:30 AM

274 posts, read 287,722 times
I hit all 50 by the time I was 34. Now trying to hit 50 countries (10 to go).

Old 08-01-2017, 11:12 AM

5,672 posts, read 3,647,750 times
I've been to all 50. Granted, I only barely touched Louisiana, by popping in from Mississippi, stopping at the first exit to buy a soda, then turning around and leaving. But it still counts, right?

For the longest time I circled all around Oklahoma without entering it. I wasn't trying to avoid it, I just never made it there. That one was my 50th and last state entered.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,455,776 times
I will never be able to do that, though I'm close at 46. I have not been to Alaska, but do intend to go one day. The others that I have skipped have no appeal to me other than just ticking them off a list, so not worth the trouble. Those are in the middle of the country, so I drove around them to hit those I thought would be more interesting on my 18,000 mile summer-long road trip:

Nebraska
Kansas
Iowa

I have also been to 5 Canadian provinces, and would like to hit some more of those.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:49 AM

10,060 posts, read 4,662,763 times
does "been" to count driving through without stopping? I've done that in a lot of the midwest states

Old 08-03-2017, 01:26 AM

135 posts, read 94,452 times
I've been to 46. But have plans to get the last 4 in two trips this year so by the time 2018 comes I should have all 50. However, some of them are short stays/drive throughs, I haven't spent significant time in all of them. Athough I have at least actually touched ground in all of them

Old 08-03-2017, 02:31 AM

706 posts, read 513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I finished traveling to all 50 when I was 35 and took a cruise to Alaska.

My husband had only been to a handful, but now I'm getting him to a bunch as I make repeat trips, he is up to around 40.

I love traveling, I'm on around 33-35 countries, trying to get to Australia so I can knock out all the inhabited continents (I can wait on Antarctica).
I've always wanted to visit down under to see gondwanian marsupials but also to meet the Cave Clan.

Don't forget to visit Zealandia. People forget it is a continent (albeit a nearly fully submerged one).

Old 08-03-2017, 02:54 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,888,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I've been to all 50. Granted, I only barely touched Louisiana, by popping in from Mississippi, stopping at the first exit to buy a soda, then turning around and leaving. But it still counts, right?

For the longest time I circled all around Oklahoma without entering it. I wasn't trying to avoid it, I just never made it there. That one was my 50th and last state entered.
That is amazing. We have been through Oklahoma several times going to other places. If you ever go through there Shawnee is a good place to stay at the Comfort Inn. We have stayed there many times.

https://www.choicehotels.com/oklahom...n-hotels/ok158

We just about have I-40 memorized. Our favorite places to stop are Crossville, Tennessee, Shawnee, Oklahoma, Tucumcari, New Mexico, and Flagstaff, Arizona. We have traveled the full length of I-40 from Wilmington, N. C. to Barstow, California. I left out a small town in Arkansas, Russellville.

We have a few states to go in the Northeast and Plains and Northwest. Maybe somebody should have found the app where you fill in the states you have been to and a map would be more interesting.

http://m.maploco.com/visited-states/

Now if someone knows how to transfer the information we are in business??

Last edited by NCN; 08-03-2017 at 03:29 AM..

Old 08-03-2017, 04:55 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
I haven't but I have no desire to.

No reason to see Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Mississippi.
Wrong.......parts of all those states are pretty. The people on the Great Plains are wonderful people, very friendly.. Mississippi has a lot of cool history and neat old river towns and the people there are friendly too.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:58 AM

6,523 posts, read 7,463,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mantegna View Post
I've been to 46. But have plans to get the last 4 in two trips this year so by the time 2018 comes I should have all 50. However, some of them are short stays/drive throughs, I haven't spent significant time in all of them. Athough I have at least actually touched ground in all of them
I've got 46 in too, I'm missing Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon and Washington. Being I live in Tennessee those states are opposite part of nation from me. My goal is to get all 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or