U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 12:06 PM

293 posts, read 427,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I've been to 49 (exc Alaska), my checkoffs may include never getting out of the car in one case (RI). Not really sure what criteria counts so it's up to each person. As far as airports, I think a decent 2-hour conversation with the barkeep probably gives more insight to a state than people barreling across Nebraska on I70 at 90 mph.

I'm pretty sure I will eventually get to Alaska but it just hasn't worked out yet. I hit my 47th, 48th & 49th state (Maine-NH-VT) more than 40 years ago and that required a middle of the night, out-of-the-way dash after leaving Boston, seeing not much more that the road in front of our headlights. Did this strictly to tick-off those three on my list. I have since been back to those three on a real vacation savoring much of the beauty of those three states over a period of a couple weeks.

Washington/Oregon were probably the only other two that I've set foot on without really seeing much as those were visited during a teen-age hitch-hiking foray where we didn't veer too much from the interstate tho we were taken to a hippy campground/party outside of Spokane for one night.

I once suggested that a true visit should only count if you have stolen something from, punched someone or had intimate relations with someone with that state's gov't issued ID, but I am now opposed to punching or stealing from strangers.

probably just sarcasm considering they apparently live in Reno
I am sure a 2-hour conversation would give more insight than driving across Nebraska on I-70 at 90mph. Especially since I-70 doesn't even go through Nebraska!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 12:32 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,243,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveMaybe View Post
This is something I would love to do myself, already been to 18. How many here have been to all 50? How many have been close to all 50?
I have been to everything but Alaska, and some day I'll make it there......... I can honestly say that seeing all of 49 states makes you so proud to be from this country, since really all of it is breathtaking in its own way, even the barren farm fields of the Midwest in the winter. As far as scenery, the states of Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and South Dakota stand out the most, although California is the most diverse with many spectacular sights.

The best part of travelling extensively though, is being able to relate to people when they tell you where they are from, and knowing what and where they are talking about. It also helps with City Data, since the only large city I haven't been to is Charlotte, and reading some of the opinions on this site gives you the ability know right away whether they know what they are talking about. So many times you read a poster write about a city like LA or Chicago, and you know there is no way they have been there from experience.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:31 AM

956 posts, read 1,779,009 times
I once did one of those facebook posts, where you check off each state you've visited. Since I count stepping foot briefly into the state(which was stepping off an Amtrak train in Omaha, NE, while it did it's servicing stop/smoke break there) as criteria, I found I had visited about 30 states, which isn't too bad. I'd like to get to more of the US states(and heck, even territories) myself, though at the same time I also wouldn't mind going to other places like Canadian provinces.

May sound weird to some, but since I want to check off more of the western U.S. states as ones I've visited(yes even just stepping off the train to look at a station, lol), I was thinking about eventually doing an Amtrak USA Rail Pass trip one of these days. Which would be going on the Southwest Chief route to LA, going from LA to San Diego and back on Amtrak, Coast Starlight north to Seattle, and Empire Builder east back to Chicago. I have researched which stations are considered servicing stops/smoke breaks on all the long distance trains, and that'd allow me to do one in every state except Idaho(Sandpoint, ID is just a very brief stop on Empire Builder trains). It runs late at night through Idaho too, so I probably wouldn't be up to see that state anyway. Too bad unless that train was really significantly delayed in eastern Washington and around Spokane(which is probably very rare, based on on time performance data I've seen on https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/home.php ), you'd only see Idaho in complete darkness.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,344,772 times
I've been to all of them but Hawaii, but my wife flew out there a few years ago to visit military friends. Does that count? I'd like to see Hawaii, but my next travel opportunity will get me to the UK. I've been to 49 states and 7 Canadian Provinces, but I've never left North America.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:39 AM

2,774 posts, read 2,505,478 times
Its a bucket list item for me to visit all 50 states...only been to 10 so far. But I am going to Massachusetts next week, so am hoping to be able to check off some New England states (Maybe New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island? We'll see).

Old 08-07-2017, 07:11 PM

176 posts, read 89,842 times
To me, even passing through a state on a train, bus, or car without getting of counts. I don't count states I only flew over or went to when I was too young to remember. By that measure, I have been to 24 states at the present. That includes every state entirely east of the Mississippi River except Michigan, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Alabama, and Mississippi. I have also been to Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona, and California. For people who even include flying over a state, I have been to 34 as Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico can be added to the list. It could even be argued as 35 as I saw Michigan from the Willis Tower. If it is required that I step foot off of the mode of transportation, I have only been to 22 as I passed through Rhode Island and Kentucky on a train without getting off. If it is required that I walk around part of the state, Ohio, South Carolina, Connecticut, Colorado, and Arizona must be removed as I only transferred planes or got off during a train stretch stop. By that measure, I have only been to 17 states. If an overnight stay is required, I would not have been to Wisconsin, Indiana, Tennessee, or Massachusetts, bringing the total to 13. Therefore, my number could be 35, 34, 25, 24, 22, 17, or 13 depending on the method used. I personally claim to have visited 24, as I was on the ground and subject to the laws of that many states.

Using my method, I will add 9 states to bring my total up to 33 within the next 6 months. These states are Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota. I will visit them via Amtrak's USA Rail Pass. I will step of the train in all of these states except Idaho, so that number will increase from 22 to 30. I will walk around and spent nights in Colorado, Washington, and Montana, bringing those numbers up to 20 and 16 states. I personally believe 33, but at that point the number could be 41, 40, 34, 33, 30, 20, or 16 depending on the measure used.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:32 AM

5,725 posts, read 3,678,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
To me, even passing through a state on a train, bus, or car without getting of counts. I don't count states I only flew over or went to when I was too young to remember. By that measure, I have been to 24 states at the present. That includes every state entirely east of the Mississippi River except Michigan, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Alabama, and Mississippi. I have also been to Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona, and California. For people who even include flying over a state, I have been to 34 as Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico can be added to the list. It could even be argued as 35 as I saw Michigan from the Willis Tower. If it is required that I step foot off of the mode of transportation, I have only been to 22 as I passed through Rhode Island and Kentucky on a train without getting off. If it is required that I walk around part of the state, Ohio, South Carolina, Connecticut, Colorado, and Arizona must be removed as I only transferred planes or got off during a train stretch stop. By that measure, I have only been to 17 states. If an overnight stay is required, I would not have been to Wisconsin, Indiana, Tennessee, or Massachusetts, bringing the total to 13. Therefore, my number could be 35, 34, 25, 24, 22, 17, or 13 depending on the method used. I personally claim to have visited 24, as I was on the ground and subject to the laws of that many states.

Using my method, I will add 9 states to bring my total up to 33 within the next 6 months. These states are Iowa, Nebraska, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and North Dakota. I will visit them via Amtrak's USA Rail Pass. I will step of the train in all of these states except Idaho, so that number will increase from 22 to 30. I will walk around and spent nights in Colorado, Washington, and Montana, bringing those numbers up to 20 and 16 states. I personally believe 33, but at that point the number could be 41, 40, 34, 33, 30, 20, or 16 depending on the measure used.
Personally, I don't count it if you just fly over it. But I do count it if you pass through on a ground conveyance, even if your feet never touch the ground. So in my book, the states through which you passed on a train do count, but the ones you flew over don't.

I actually break it up into two categories, "visited" and "passed through." For me, I have to spend at least two consecutive nights in a state to count as a visit instead of a pass-through. (That way, I eliminate driving through a state, and just happening to stop for the night, as a "visit.") However, if I visit a specific person for business or pleasure, or if I visit a specific tourist attraction, regardless of the duration, then I count it as a visit. Riding through on a train, without getting off, is a pass-through. Complicated, huh?

I have physically entered (on the ground) all 50 states. I have visited most of them, with but a few exceptions (Louisiana, South Dakota, Wyoming, and a couple of others I'm not recalling off hand.)

Old 08-08-2017, 09:34 AM

5,725 posts, read 3,678,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpmcdonnell17 View Post
I will step of the train in all of these states except Idaho, so that number will increase from 22 to 30.
Oh come on, just step off the train when you stop in Idaho. Even if you step right back on again, at least you will have done it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or