U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:17 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,521,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Is timber still a business up there? There's also a bit of a job market in teaching and health care, as well, and office staffing for various needs: hospital, clinics, colleges, businesses, local gummint. A small market, so yeah, it's best if you can bring your job with you, but still, there's something up there.
I'm not sure how big of business it still is, but driving up there recently, I did notice a few major timber plants/storage areas for cut down trees, so I'm assuming it's still going on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:35 PM

1,558 posts, read 743,256 times
The only places in the United States that would meet your weather requirements are certain parts of the West Coast. Delaware is milder in the winter than where you are now, but it does snow periodically and the summers are warm and humid. I would think the small coastal towns are not as oppressive as the big cities of the mid-Atlantic region however. The best climates in the eastern US for avoiding both overly harsh winters and hot summers are in the southern Appalachians, particularly western North Carolina, but it's still relatively humid in the area and is well above sea level - and is in the South if that's a deal breaker.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:40 PM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
You don't get great climate and cheap in the same package. So, you can add Crescent City, CA along with Eureka, as far as mild temps year-round, beaches to walk on, woods to walk in, and lots of wet, cloudy days to do it in, in a very remote area, where many people in town are missing front teeth, and if you need urgent medical care you will be sent via helicopter to real civilization.

But, hey, the weather is mild year-round and it's affordable.

Old 07-01-2017, 09:47 PM

The latest "study" found that women thought Irish Men were the most attractive...

Old 07-01-2017, 10:20 PM

2,780 posts, read 1,624,811 times
San Diego

Old 07-01-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
The latest "study" found that women thought Irish Men were the most attractive...
Are you lost? LOL

Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Are you lost? LOL
Lmao I am indeed, this was meant for another thread in the "general us" forum, although I have been posting on this thread too! Hahahaha

Old 07-01-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Lmao I am indeed, this was meant for another thread in the "general us" forum, although I have been posting on this thread too! Hahahaha
Bunch of blarney, me thinks LOL. Top of the mornin' to ya anyway. I think Irish men are hot and love the accent. My dad was Irish.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:01 PM

30,988 posts, read 13,558,751 times
Quote:
Eureka isn't "depressed", it's just not the big hustling city like the rest of the Bay Area.
You want mild temps, it has them all the time. You want cheaper COL, well it has it. It is somewhat of a tourist area as well, so it does have restaurants, hotels, shopping, etc... Plus if you enjoy the outdoors, there's plenty to do.
There's just not a real job market, unless you happen to be in the timber business.
It's not very bustling and there aren't any jobs..or healthcare for that matter. And in my opinion it's too cold much of the day to be considered comfortable. When I think about mild weather in California I think about places like San Diego, Monterey, or even Martinez or Benicia.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not very bustling and there aren't any jobs..or healthcare for that matter. And in my opinion it's too cold much of the day to be considered comfortable. When I think about mild weather in California I think about places like San Diego, Monterey, or even Martinez or Benicia.
I would agree with the weather in Monterey, but Martinez is downright hot. I live in Pleasant Hill (right by Martinez) and they're consistently the same temps.

I personally like Eureka weather, a little chilly some days, but never hot. I definitely agree about the jobs. But when someone wants affordable, with mild weather, there's not a ton of places that would fit the criteria, but I think Eureka does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or