U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:16 AM

688 posts, read 468,469 times

Advertisements

Yeah, counties don't mean a thing as far as government in Rhode Island. The only time I hear people mention a county is when they talk about going to "South County", which doesn't even exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 04:22 PM

191 posts, read 166,266 times
They are huge in Kentucky and Tennessee. If you live in a town that has less than say 10,000-15,000 people you would typically say that you are from so and so county and not the town that you live in. The school systems are county based as well.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:19 AM

4,102 posts, read 4,756,300 times
Counties are strong in NY. Socially, counties can even define who you are sometimes. Just look to the concept of the southern tier, for example.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,548,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think its more than just North vs South, Counties are also pretty important out west as well as most other Northern States. I think their relative unimportant is a New England thing.
This is true. There may be other isolated places where counties don't mean much, but I'm very familiar with places like New York, Illinois, Michigan and California, and counties are very significant and frequently discussed in all those places. Here in Rhode Island, I believe counties are only used for court subdivisions. I also get my water bill from the "Kent County Water Authority," but I don't think that's really a government entity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Yeah, counties don't mean a thing as far as government in Rhode Island. The only time I hear people mention a county is when they talk about going to "South County", which doesn't even exist.
I've lived in Rhode Island for four years and East Greenwich for two and a half, and I still don't know whether East Greenwich is part of South County or not. The tourism commission says it is -- probably so they can promote our restaurant scene, which would be by far the best in South County if we are part of it -- but other definitions say that the fictitious South County is coterminous with Washington County, and we're in Kent.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:06 AM

724 posts, read 1,401,459 times
SC has 46 counties, and they are very important in most of the state. Every county has its own school system, and their own county seat.

A lot of people live in unincorporated areas, so the county is their main form of government.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:58 AM

4,967 posts, read 1,855,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah here in New England, the importance of the county is practically nonexistent or completely nonexistent, particularly in CT and RI.

Counties in much of New England have little significance other than the judicial court systems.

Most all land in New England falls within incorporated areas that fall under town/city governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or