Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the most suburban feeling major city?
Jacksonville, Florida 7 11.86%
Columbus, Ohio 3 5.08%
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 2 3.39%
Orlando, Florida 8 13.56%
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 3 5.08%
Sacramento, California 3 5.08%
Fort Worth, Texas 2 3.39%
San Jose, California 10 16.95%
Phoenix, Arizona 12 20.34%
Las Vegas, Nevada 2 3.39%
Other 7 11.86%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:08 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Suburban cities: San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose, Phoenix, Denver, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, L.A., Miami, and Sacramento
Tampa, Austin, Charlotte, Columbus, and Indy as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:19 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
If we're talking just city limits, neither Dallas nor Austin are suburban. Austin has really awful traffic in the city and some really crowded areas during a lot of the week. Now, if we are going to include Round rock, Georgetown, Leander, etc, yeah, it's suburban sprawl, but I think any metro area is like that.

I can't speak for Houston. It's got a lot of traffic within the city limits, not sure it's suburban in nature. Again, if we want to include the suburbs, absolutely, sprawl.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:36 PM

How are we defining "suburban" here?

Old 07-05-2017, 08:52 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
All of the sunbelt cities look suburban to me outside of their downtown areas. Except in South Florida maybe.
South Florida is definitely suburban.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
If we're talking just city limits, neither Dallas nor Austin are suburban. Austin has really awful traffic in the city and some really crowded areas during a lot of the week. Now, if we are going to include Round rock, Georgetown, Leander, etc, yeah, it's suburban sprawl, but I think any metro area is like that.

I can't speak for Houston. It's got a lot of traffic within the city limits, not sure it's suburban in nature. Again, if we want to include the suburbs, absolutely, sprawl.
Again, if just talking city limits, Denver is fairly urban. Even in the suburbs, lot sizes are small and there are numerous apartments. A few of the burbs have their own downtowns.

Omaha looks very suburban outside of downtown, probably because the city has annexed a lot of formerly suburban areas.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM

307 posts, read 330,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
South Florida is definitely suburban.

Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy

Old 07-05-2017, 10:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

Dallas looks suburban to me

Old 07-05-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Dallas looks suburban to me
Pretty much the case for all of the Texas cities. Fort Worth actually feels the most suburban out of all of the Texas cities. There's a rural feel going west on I-35 until you literally arrive in Downtown Fort Worth. Houston and Dallas are definitely the most urban overall. San Antonio has the most intact historical urban core, but turns suburban real quick once outside of Downtown. Austin is somewhere in-between Houston/Dallas and San Antonio for urbanity. It has an urban and vibrant downtown, but turns residential suburban real quick once you're around UT heading north.

As for Dallas, it turns more suburban once you venture outside of the Downtown/Uptown/Victory Park/Deep Ellum area. There are some parts that have an urban business district but a lot of SFH along the side streets... Oak Cliff comes to mind. It was originally a street-car suburb, but was annexed into the city long ago. Many other parts have a suburban/urban hybrid feel in the city. Knox St. for example is an urban business district, but a lot of the side streets are a mix of SFH, townhomes, and apartments. Oak Lawn is another neighborhood that has that urban/suburban vibe.

Old 07-06-2017, 05:40 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Again, if just talking city limits, Denver is fairly urban. Even in the suburbs, lot sizes are small and there are numerous apartments. A few of the burbs have their own downtowns.

Omaha looks very suburban outside of downtown, probably because the city has annexed a lot of formerly suburban areas.
I think Denver is very urban as well. Does not have a suburban feel.

I may be close to getting a job offer up there. Do you like it?

Old 07-06-2017, 06:15 AM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinytr View Post
Whatever helps you sleep at night buddy
I sleep fine. Thanks. Still suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.