U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 PM

76 posts, read 53,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
It seems to me like Latinos in states like Arizona and California tend to be very close-knit with their families and very cliquish with established social circles, the same thing in Germanic areas of the Midwest.

Additionally, many German-American areas and Latinos don't really eat healthy but yet seems like many of them live much longer lives as opposed to parts of the country that are Scots-Irish/English say in the deep South.

I know in the Germanic areas of the Midwest many people for instance depend on friends and family for childcare and the same thing is common among latino's in the West.

I notice in Nebraska where I just moved for about six months that people tend to be very, very close to family and prefer to live close to family. My co-workers for instance seem to think babysitting their niece, nephew or other relatives kids is important. Same with Arizona, seems like lots of people rely on parents, brothers and sisters for free childcare when they need it.

Seems that Western latinos and Midwestern German states tend to be extremely socially conservative but very liberal on fiscal issues.

It just seems that there are alot of similarities that Western Latinos and Midwestern German-American areas have as opposed to say the Latinos and English/Irish in the south.
I don't see these "similarities" that you're talking about. First of all, most of the German connection most americans have is from a century ago or more. A lot of Latino culture still have strong ties across the border or are just 1 or 2 generations removed from their original immigrant ancestors. The map of percentage German speakers above is probably correct but just remember how few people live in areas like the Dakotas or rural counties of the rust belt. The few people with any measurable "german ness" are probably like 70 years or older at least. That's my experience anyway. I have a lot of family from the Dakotas there is an influence but it's not that strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,022,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well, yeah, sure, most Midwestern "German-Americans" these days are mutts and do little or nothing toward celebrating or practicing what one would consider "German culture." That said, a lot of them still go to Lutheran churches (or perhaps Catholic churches that, in many cases, are attended by other local German-Americans). And based on various anecdotes I've noticed I would argue there is a bit of a tendency for them to gravitate toward certain kinds of careers and/or work in certain kinds of businesses. As a result of little things like that, an outside observer might be tempted to think they are "very cliquish" (as the OP observed) even though there's nothing deliberate or even conscious going on.
Interesting, the things you think. I honestly couldn't tell you if my friends were German, or not. I know that some most likely have some German in them, but they never talk about it, and don't seek out friends of German descent. You see, that's because they're Americans, first and foremost. We don't have German-based get-togethers, although sometimes we eat German potato salad...does that count? Because I don't know who would get credit for just regular potato salad that we eat, as well...maybe the French or British? No one I know wears lederhosen or dirndl dresses (I had to look those up, to know what German type clothing is). I'm guessing Germans in Germany don't wear those either, except for heritage day type thingys. I wonder what type of job Germans gravitate toward..I Googled it, but came up empty. Please share that, as it would be interesting to know.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:22 AM

4,403 posts, read 4,611,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I think when you get any ethnic group making up a large % of people in an area, you're going to get people of that group sort-of sticking with each other to some extent. Much of that just comes down to large #'s. For example, if Group X comprises 50% of the population of an area, even just if they choose who they associate with randomly, 50% of their associations are going to be with other Group X people, and it might seem like they're choosing to associate with their own group even though it's just random.

When I grew up in NJ, I always noticed a lot of Italian-Americans (many of whom were my friends) did a lot of things with each other (though, certainly not exclusively). But, that's because there were a lot of Italian-Americans there, and thus they could associate a lot with each other frequently.
I live in a city that is 50% Mexican. Some do choose to only associate with other Mexicans and it's not random. Not surprisingly the #1 factor is language. Newer immigrants who only speak Spanish socialize with other Mexicans exclusively. What did surprise me is that many Mexicans do not like or trust other Mexicans who are not part of their family. Many stick with their family period and not trusting others is a big part of their culture.

Things really change by the 2nd generation. Mexican-Americans who grew up here and are English dominant often have non-Hispanic friends, date and marry non-Hispanics etc. I have also observed, somewhat surprisingly to me, that there is often tension between the newer Mexican immigrants and the Mexican Americans who grew up here.

As for the topic of this thread I agree with those who say it's not a great comparison. German is one of the most common nationalities of U.S Caucasians and the roots go back a long time now. They really isn't much of a difference between Germans and white Americans as a whole. The family plays a bigger role in Hispanic culture...as I mentioned earlier it's sometimes to the exclusion of all others. This is more rare among Germans.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:14 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,740,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Interesting, the things you think. I honestly couldn't tell you if my friends were German, or not. I know that some most likely have some German in them, but they never talk about it, and don't seek out friends of German descent. You see, that's because they're Americans, first and foremost. We don't have German-based get-togethers, although sometimes we eat German potato salad...does that count? Because I don't know who would get credit for just regular potato salad that we eat, as well...maybe the French or British? No one I know wears lederhosen or dirndl dresses (I had to look those up, to know what German type clothing is). I'm guessing Germans in Germany don't wear those either, except for heritage day type thingys.
You didn't read a thing I said.

BTW I am half German myself.

Quote:
I wonder what type of job Germans gravitate toward..I Googled it, but came up empty. Please share that, as it would be interesting to know.
It's not something you would find on Google. Anyway it's a whole other topic which I may, some years hence, be able to expand upon due to a project I'm working on, but in the meantime I'll repeat that it's purely anecdotal.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:36 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,937,287 times
I think it's hard to stereotype about German-Americans because they ran the gamut from Protestant Hessians here before the revolution to Catholic Austrians who moved into industrial cities to Volga Germans who moved to isolated rural farmsteads in the high plains only a hundred years ago. Besides speaking a common language, they really had very little in common with each other - and many of them immigrated before there was a standard German language, so they often didn't even have language in common.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,123,226 times
I would think there are three separate German immigration periods we typically see in the US; those that immigrated in the Revolutionary War period, those during the Civil war period, and those that came here after WW2. The era of immigration will determine how closely they hold to their roots with the newest still leaning on German communities within their larger areas.

So overlaying the map on the previous page with current active duty US military installations and you can see a pattern of the most recent German immigration and how that may impact local community affiliation. Its not exactly 1:1, but they do approximate each other to some degree. Older Amish or Mennonite affiliations are certainly outside the norm of most regular communities, although they will probably hold their roots more closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or