Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 10:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times

Advertisements

i know a few that i lived in...

NYC
Philly

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 10:39 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
Baltimore! Nothing even close to like it in the rest of the state! 'cept for food that is

Old 03-08-2008, 10:41 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,865,111 times
Chicago. The rest of the state is very different. Rural, much smaller cities and college towns.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,958,224 times
Atlanta, 75% of the land in GA is rural.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I would have to say:

Atlanta, Georgia: It seems to be a city dominated by Yankee transplants that is very sprawling and "Northernized" with a lot of modernism while the vast majority of the rest of the state is still famous for that wonderful, laid-back, sweet tea-oriented "Southern hospitality." I think Savannah is more indicative of the way most native Georgians perceive their state to be. Then again, considering Atlanta was burned to the ground many years ago, you can't really blame it for having surrendered much of its historic charm in favor of the 21st Century.

Martinsburg, West Virginia: The entire Eastern panhandle of West Virginia is becoming "Washingtonized" to the point where it resembles exurban Loudoun County, Virginia moreso than being a part of generally rural West Virginia. When one thinks of West Virginia they don't generally think of tract housing.

Columbus, Ohio: Ohio is a state known for its Rust Belt image and cities damaged by decades of economic plight and urban sprawl. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Youngstown, Toledo, Dayton, etc. are all shells of their former selves, but Columbus has bucked this trend to become a startlingly "Sunbelt-like" city in its own merit. It is now nearly as large as Cleveland and Cincinnati combined and is expected to continue to grow steadily. Cleveland and Cincinnati are both big NFL towns whereas Columbus is a big OSU town. When one thinks of Ohio, they generally don't think "rapidly growing."

Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Atlanta, 75% of the land in GA is rural.
Wow! Great minds think alike.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post

Columbus, Ohio: Ohio is a state known for its Rust Belt image and cities damaged by decades of economic plight and urban sprawl. Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Youngstown, Toledo, Dayton, etc. are all shells of their former selves, but Columbus has bucked this trend to become a startlingly "Sunbelt-like" city in its own merit. It is now nearly as large as Cleveland and Cincinnati combined and is expected to continue to grow steadily. Cleveland and Cincinnati are both big NFL towns whereas Columbus is a big OSU town. When one thinks of Ohio, they generally don't think "rapidly growing."
Very good thinking outside the box. Columbus definitely reminds me of sunbelt city. It's a clean, fast-ish growing newer city with a strong economy which is quite a contrast to the rest of Ohio which tends to be classic rust belt with some exceptions, but none like Columbus. If I fell asleep in a car and woke up there I would probably think I am in Charlotte. Way different from the rest of Ohio, very good choice!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-08-2008 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: "in"

Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Baltimore! Nothing even close to like it in the rest of the state! 'cept for food that is
i'd have to agree. traveling through maryland, b'more is an entity unto itself in a good way

and i also agree w/ lisak64 - chicago to ill is as an odd ift a fit as nyc to ny state.

atl, possibly too

Old 03-08-2008, 11:13 PM

386 posts, read 1,692,467 times
Boulder. Definitely Boulder.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoDude View Post
Boulder. Definitely Boulder.

what about denver?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.