U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 05:52 AM

3,515 posts, read 4,968,835 times

Advertisements

Savannah, GA, whose downtown is built on the river, has basically no suburbs over on the SC side, as the terrain is partly swampy or unsuitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 06:07 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,356,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Not sure what people think, but here are a few other cities that came to mind:

-Tallahassee, FL doesn't seem like it has any connection to Georgia, despite being like 15 miles away.
-Toledo, OH has minimal connection to Michigan from my experience, at least in comparison to what you'd expect from the city almost being on the state border.
-In terms of larger cities, the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area seems to not have as much pull in Wisconsin as you might expect for an area that size. Maybe the counties that directly border Minnesota are connected, but if you go a few miles deeper into Wisconsin, it's all Cheeseheads and Packers and Badgers.
Toledo Ohio has more in common with Michigan than it does Ohio! It's heavily automotive and industrial and very much tied to Detroit and its automotive industry. It's often referred to as a little Detroit. Have you even been to Toledo? It should be first on a list of what cities belong more in a neighbouring state, than the one they're in.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:48 AM

176 posts, read 191,620 times
Memphis could pass as a Mississippi city but doesn't really have a connection with Arkansas. There's really not much on the AR side of the metro. Sure, there's West Memphis / Marion but they feel more like small, poor Delta towns than proper suburbs. Honestly, the whole Memphis metro fits more with MS than either TN or AR

Old 07-04-2017, 07:07 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,990,356 times
Southeastern New Mexico is more like West Texas (called Little Texas), Clovis, Portales, Roswell, Hobbs, Carlsbad, Artesia-- not much in common with Las Cruces, Albuquerque and Santa Fe on the other side of the Rockies.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:40 AM

1,571 posts, read 751,209 times
Saint George, Utah is just a short distance from the Arizona and Nevada borders, but aside from the warm desert climate it has little in common with places in the neighboring states. It is a very conservative and quiet place despite rapid recent population growth. Culturally it is much more aligned with distant Salt Lake City than nearby Las Vegas.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:00 AM

352 posts, read 551,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZetro View Post
Memphis could pass as a Mississippi city but doesn't really have a connection with Arkansas. There's really not much on the AR side of the metro. Sure, there's West Memphis / Marion but they feel more like small, poor Delta towns than proper suburbs. Honestly, the whole Memphis metro fits more with MS than either TN or AR
Small poor delta towns on one side of the river, big poor delta town on the other side. Sounds like a fit.
But really, I would like to know what makes Memphis seem more like a fit for Mississippi than TN or AR? I'm not disagreeing with you, just interested to know.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:25 PM

6,070 posts, read 3,397,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
That's funny since most Louisianians will tell you Shreveport might as well be in Texas since it seemingly has more cultural similarities to it than to South Louisiana (plus the rumor Shreveport people root for the Cowboys over the Saints). Of course most South Louisianians will probably tell you they wouldn't mind seeing North Louisiana kicked out of the state and into one of the neighboring ones, bunch of boring baptists up there, lol.
Idk but everytime I go to the Wal-Mart in Shreveport, they're always advertising crawfish. That's how I know I'm in Louisiana lol.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Small poor delta towns on one side of the river, big poor delta town on the other side. Sounds like a fit.
But really, I would like to know what makes Memphis seem more like a fit for Mississippi than TN or AR? I'm not disagreeing with you, just interested to know.
I actually feel the same way as he does. When I think of Memphis, I think of flat riverside land, more like western Mississippi. When I think of Arkansas, I think of the Ozarks more than the river landscape even though Arkansas touches the Mississippi. Most of its cities and population is in the middle and northwest.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Savannah, GA, whose downtown is built on the river, has basically no suburbs over on the SC side, as the terrain is partly swampy or unsuitable.
Hmm, I've always likened Savannah to Charleston, though. Both are historic colonial coastal southern cities with similar architecture and foliage. I feel like Savannah leans more towards Charleston, SC than to Atlanta. That's just me, though. I been to Georgia but not the Savannah area so I'm just speculating.

EDIT: NVM Savannah isn't coastal, though its still pretty close. It's metro area extends to the coast.

Last edited by BadgerFilms; 07-04-2017 at 02:45 PM..

Old 07-04-2017, 02:36 PM

4,404 posts, read 4,614,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I actually feel the same way as he does. When I think of Memphis, I think of flat riverside land, more like western Mississippi. When I think of Arkansas, I think of the Ozarks more than the river landscape even though Arkansas touches the Mississippi. Most of its cities and population is in the middle and northwest.
If Arkansas didn't have the delta portion it would probably move up 5 or 10 state rankings on every socioeconomic indicator from poverty to education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or