U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 01:56 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,386,291 times

Advertisements

What are some cities (population 100,000 at least) that are close to another state's boundary but don't have that much in common with that other state except maybe scenery to an extent?

I feel Shreveport, LA is a place like that. While it does have some ties to Dallas and East Texas, it feels solidly Louisiana in its scenery, culture and vibe. I'd say that it has a stronger pull on East Texas than the reverse. Maybe other people feel differently. There's a very marked difference in the road conditions, though! And I swear, every time I cross the Louisiana border, it starts to smell and gets foggy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 05:20 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,973,275 times
Hmmm, I can't think of any neighboring cities or areas across state lines that don't share some commonalities. Even places like San Diego and Tijuana across international borders share some similarities (though obviously with huge differences). But, I'll try.

In Delaware, Bethany Beach, South Bethany and Fenwick Island (the Quiet Resorts) are relatively sleepy beach communities, even in summer, while Ocean City, Maryland just a few miles south is a bustling resort city in the summer that swells to over 300,000 people. The culture is night and day, and there are establishments that simply don't exist at all in Delaware and vice versa. Plus, Maryland has sales tax, while Delaware doesn't.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:37 PM

3,029 posts, read 2,463,780 times
Not sure what people think, but here are a few other cities that came to mind:

-Tallahassee, FL doesn't seem like it has any connection to Georgia, despite being like 15 miles away.
-Toledo, OH has minimal connection to Michigan from my experience, at least in comparison to what you'd expect from the city almost being on the state border.
-In terms of larger cities, the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area seems to not have as much pull in Wisconsin as you might expect for an area that size. Maybe the counties that directly border Minnesota are connected, but if you go a few miles deeper into Wisconsin, it's all Cheeseheads and Packers and Badgers.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:54 PM

797 posts, read 1,159,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
What are some cities (population 100,000 at least) that are close to another state's boundary but don't have that much in common with that other state except maybe scenery to an extent?

I feel Shreveport, LA is a place like that. While it does have some ties to Dallas and East Texas, it feels solidly Louisiana in its scenery, culture and vibe. I'd say that it has a stronger pull on East Texas than the reverse. Maybe other people feel differently. There's a very marked difference in the road conditions, though! And I swear, every time I cross the Louisiana border, it starts to smell and gets foggy.
That's funny since most Louisianians will tell you Shreveport might as well be in Texas since it seemingly has more cultural similarities to it than to South Louisiana (plus the rumor Shreveport people root for the Cowboys over the Saints). Of course most South Louisianians will probably tell you they wouldn't mind seeing North Louisiana kicked out of the state and into one of the neighboring ones, bunch of boring baptists up there, lol.

Old 07-03-2017, 06:56 PM

4 posts, read 2,053 times
Jersey City and NYC definitely fits the characteristic since I live in the former and go to the latter for work 6 days a week.

Even though we're literally 10-15 minutes from Manhattan and half of us take the PATH everyday for work and even share the same MetroCards as the MTA, you will KNOW AND FEEL you're not in NYC anymore once you exit the Holland Tunnel or PATH back into NJ.

Even on the very first stop on the PATH train on the Hudson Riverfront you can tell from the atmosphere and vibe that you're in a different world from what occurs from our neighbors across the river. We might have the closest thing to NYC culture out of all the cities in Jersey but it is still distinct here than NYC.

And any New Yorker that has traveled on the PATH to Jersey City(or Hoboken) will also tell you the same thing from their experience. The Hudson River is much more than just a river between states, it also divides cultures.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABZig24 View Post
Jersey City and NYC definitely fits the characteristic since I live in the former and go to the latter for work 6 days a week.

Even though we're literally 10-15 minutes from Manhattan and half of us take the PATH everyday for work and even share the same MetroCards as the MTA, you will KNOW AND FEEL you're not in NYC anymore once you exit the Holland Tunnel or PATH back into NJ.

Even on the very first stop on the PATH train on the Hudson Riverfront you can tell from the atmosphere and vibe that you're in a different world from what occurs from our neighbors across the river. We might have the closest thing to NYC culture out of all the cities in Jersey but it is still distinct here than NYC.

And any New Yorker that has traveled on the PATH to Jersey City(or Hoboken) will also tell you the same thing from their experience. The Hudson River is much more than just a river between states, it also divides cultures.
Yeah people from NY and New Jersey will say that but it's not really true, it's like when people from Everett call people from Revere trashy when the only difference is their mayor.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 2,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Yeah people from NY and New Jersey will say that but it's not really true, it's like when people from Everett call people from Revere trashy when the only difference is their mayor.
Well I guess it's were you have to actually from here to really see the difference between us. I went to college in Maryland and they often called both us and NYers too aggressive and loud, but that's where the similataries pretty much ended there.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:18 AM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post

However there are many similarities between East Texas and North Louisiana. Most of Louisiana is the traditional South except for New Orleans and Cajun country. Even Baton Rouge isn't that heavily French and Catholic.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:20 AM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Huntington, West Virginia is just across the river from Ohio, but feels very much like a West Virginia city. Southern Ohio is more like West Virginia than like the rest of Ohio.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 AM

3,503 posts, read 4,959,988 times
Savannah, GA, whose downtown is built on the river, has basically no suburbs over on the SC side, as the terrain is partly swampy or unsuitable. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or