Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I'm guessing that L. Brooks Patterson is your hero.

Detroit looks first world, by the way. Blighted, yes, but there are normal houses and traffic lights and whatnot.
No he is not, I could care less about the local politics there. I know who he is from when I lived in Michigan but I always distanced myself from Detroit, even it's suburbs and all the trouble around that area. I lived in areas of Michigan far from all that anyway. Many people in Michigan distance themselves from Detroit proper, many never go there because of the way it is. No one there is happy with its condition or what that area did to Michigans reputation. If anything Michigan people living outside of southeast Michigan are ashamed of Detroit and its little brother Flint Michigan. Most of them wish people knew that the rest of Michigan is nothing like those places. I visited Michigan earlier this year and found the same attitudes still intact so the place cannot be some rennesance city as has been suggested.

I knew I would take heat for this post, and no I am not trolling Detroit homers. However there is NO WAY that Detroit is cleaned up and safe other than a small area downtown. The neighborhoods obviously are still terrible and dangerous and that means the city is still essentially the same. They basically cleaned up a small area in downtown for rich suburban people to come play, then they go home and pretend they live in a normal area without mass blight between them and thier downtown. I wonder how many true Detroit residents wander around downtown like they can in the neighborhood? I think we all know the answer to that question, and we all know what would happen to the crime rate downtown if they were allowed to hang out there. I know the last time I was actually there was when they built the new baseball stadium and I walked through the wrong place and a guy tried to rob us. An off duty officer was nearby and thankfully he was able to deter them and they ran. He told me I had wandered into a dangerous area. I was trying to get to the train they called a people mover and did not know where I was. I was not that far from the ballpark either..... someone going to say that is normal in a nice city? This was maybe 15 years ago, not 1983. Detroit cannot be fixed until its mass criminal elements are removed. That means making all those people living in the neighborhoods go somewhere else. We all know you can't make them move, and there are not enough prisons to lock up all the thieves, drug dealers etc who call that city home. Crime and thug life have become part of the culture there. Building a nice enclave downtown does not make that glaring problem go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No he is not, I could care less about the local politics there. I know who he is from when I lived in Michigan but I always distanced myself from Detroit, even it's suburbs and all the trouble around that area. I lived in areas of Michigan far from all that anyway. Many people in Michigan distance themselves from Detroit proper, many never go there because of the way it is. No one there is happy with its condition or what that area did to Michigans reputation. If anything Michigan people living outside of southeast Michigan are ashamed of Detroit and its little brother Flint Michigan. Most of them wish people knew that the rest of Michigan is nothing like those places. I visited Michigan earlier this year and found the same attitudes still intact so the place cannot be some rennesance city as has been suggested.

I knew I would take heat for this post, and no I am not trolling Detroit homers. However there is NO WAY that Detroit is cleaned up and safe other than a small area downtown. The neighborhoods obviously are still terrible and dangerous and that means the city is still essentially the same. They basically cleaned up a small area in downtown for rich suburban people to come play, then they go home and pretend they live in a normal area without mass blight between them and thier downtown. I wonder how many true Detroit residents wander around downtown like they can in the neighborhood? I think we all know the answer to that question, and we all know what would happen to the crime rate downtown if they were allowed to hang out there. I know the last time I was actually there was when they built the new baseball stadium and I walked through the wrong place and a guy tried to rob us. An off duty officer was nearby and thankfully he was able to deter them and they ran. He told me I had wandered into a dangerous area. I was trying to get to the train they called a people mover and did not know where I was. I was not that far from the ballpark either..... someone going to say that is normal in a nice city? This was maybe 15 years ago, not 1983. Detroit cannot be fixed until its mass criminal elements are removed. That means making all those people living in the neighborhoods go somewhere else. We all know you can't make them move, and there are not enough prisons to lock up all the thieves, drug dealers etc who call that city home. Crime and thug life have become part of the culture there. Building a nice enclave downtown does not make that glaring problem go away.
there are actually chunks of the city that are really nice and there is actually some variation even within the city. I think the lack of exposure to these areas of the city is a part of the problem and play a part in the divisiveness.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 AM

368 posts, read 453,491 times
Chicago, Buffalo NY, & Toledo OH...

And ppl taking about Detroit revitalization. But Detroit seems to be continuing on its ghost town path, i see no change from Detroit in the 1980s n 90s to Detroit now, no change at all.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Chicago. I keep hearing people are leaving because of crime. And the only good part is a neighborhood called a loop and a miracle mile.
WRONG!!!!!!! TRY AGAIN.... Almost all of the Northside (downtown and north) would be considered "good" by most city standards and that consists of many neighborhoods. How would a city be able to be the 3rd largest city in the US, have 2 of the most prestigious universities and hospitals (U Chicago and Northerstern), have all major pro sports teams, one of the busiest airports in the US, and be the hub for all major big 4, consulting, law, etc in the Midwest if there was only "one nice neighborhood called a [sic] loop and a miracle mile [sic]?" Chicago has been loosing population even in good parts of the city due to the financial state of the city. But because it's such a major hub for private sector companies and the 3rd largest US city, it won't become a Detroit anytime soon.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:38 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
They have a lot of them Memphis, New Orleans, Baltimore, St. Louis, Gary IN, Camden, NJ. We have a lot of dysfunctional cities. God Bless America.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:56 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Hartford, CT

Like Detroit, it experienced a mass exodus of the middle class in the preceding decades. Despite all the high paying white collar insurance jobs downtown in the shining modern buildings, the city is mostly inhabited by the poor. All the office workers hightail out of the city each evening after work. City is surrounded by many wealthy suburban communities. The defacto downtown and nightlife destination for the area's white collar crowd is actually in the neighboring suburban town of West Hartford.
Hartford has very small geographic boundaries and is more culturally mixed than the city of Detroit, with a large share of immigrants. Even in a worst case scenario, it won't have the scale of abandonment that prevails in Detroit. It has more in common with lower income parts of New York or Philadelphia and other major cities of the megalopolis. Situations like Detroit's are more likely to develop in places that have more square mileage that is in truly bad shape.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:01 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
And ppl taking about Detroit revitalization. But Detroit seems to be continuing on its ghost town path, i see no change from Detroit in the 1980s n 90s to Detroit now, no change at all.
You're either in denial, promoting an agenda or just clueless. Detroit is very much on the rebound and the investment in major infrastructure projects by private investment is staggering with many already completed and a few already now underway such as the Woodward Avenue Light Rail system.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2016/3/30...nt-dan-gilbert
Tough, Cheap, and Real, Detroit Is Cool Again | National Geographic

Old 07-04-2017, 10:12 AM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Chicago, Buffalo NY, & Toledo OH...

Again, a no for Buffalo and I'd suggest checking out the Buffalo Billion initiative. There are some rough areas, but there are some very nice areas just like all American cities, relatively speaking.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:23 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
Chicago. I keep hearing people are leaving because of crime. And the only good part is a neighborhood called a loop and a miracle mile.
My first thought was Chicago. It's always been regarded, but then so was Detroit 60 years ago. Crime is driving population out of the South Side. This city better get its' act together, and fast.

Others:

Baltimore
Cincinnati
St. Louis
Memphis
New Orleans

Old 07-04-2017, 10:51 AM

106 posts, read 95,922 times
San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.