U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 PM

4,894 posts, read 3,017,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Texas is the only place I've ever lived where state pride is even a thing, and man alive you've gotta open wide and swallow hard because they ram it down your throat in cult-like fashion. They went so far as to make my elementary school-aged kids pledge allegiance to the Texas state flag - which I thought was over the top and idiotic.
Correct. Californians to me aren't cocky about their state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM

2,482 posts, read 2,236,761 times
Illinois has little to no state pride. Chicago, however, has immense pride in itself. So much so that it not only wraps its own citizens up with it but it also unites the rest of the state against it.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 PM

6,579 posts, read 10,315,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Wow, way to exaggerate

No one ever rammed Texas state pride down my throat when I was living there, and they have a lot of it, that is true. However they're not the only state with strong state pride. California does as well, look at all the t. shirts and designs with the state name, shape or flag. So does Minnesota. People adorn the state shape in a lot of things and have a lot of "MN Pride." (Not so much the flag though, sadly we have a lame flag, unlike TX, CA or CO)
I personally don't think it was that much of an exaggeration. There's all the hokey jingoistic stuff like "Everything's Bigger in Texas," "Don't Mess With Texas," "Remember the Alamo," "Drive Friendly -the Texas Way" yada yada yada. Of course I've heard ad nauseam about how Texans (wrongly) think the state has the right to secede from the union, and how Texas is the only state allowed to fly its flag at the same height as the U.S.flag (wrong again). Country radio stations openly promote "Texas Country." I've already mentioned pledging allegiance to the Texas flag, and they also require students to learn Texas history in, I believe, the third grade.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:09 PM

4,894 posts, read 3,017,668 times
Quote:
I personally don't think it was that much of an exaggeration. There's all the hokey jingoistic stuff like "Everything's Bigger in Texas," "Don't Mess With Texas," "Remember the Alamo," "Drive Friendly -the Texas Way" yada yada yada. Of course I've heard ad nauseam about how Texans (wrongly) think the state has the right to secede from the union, and how Texas is the only state allowed to fly its flag at the same height as the U.S.flag (wrong again). Country radio stations openly promote "Texas Country." I've already mentioned pledging allegiance to the Texas flag, and they also require students to learn Texas history in, I believe, the third grade.
Very true. No other state has jargon like that. Drive friendly - the Delaware way. Don't forget "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I can."

Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,172,460 times
I am from Ohio and Ohio people always make fun of the state but take a lot of pride in the state as well especially Ohio St football which is like a religion.

Old 09-18-2017, 11:58 PM

1,967 posts, read 1,465,722 times
Most states require its history to be taught in its public schools; here in the Peach State, Georgia History is taught in the eighth grade. It was one of the highlights of my entire school career since I had an incredible teacher that really made history come alive and forever sealed history as my favorite subject. We, at ages 13 and 14, were COMPLETELY spellbound by his vividly told stories.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:44 AM

1,332 posts, read 1,215,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Most states require its history to be taught in its public schools; here in the Peach State, Georgia History is taught in the eighth grade. It was one of the highlights of my entire school career since I had an incredible teacher that really made history come alive and forever sealed history as my favorite subject. We, at ages 13 and 14, were COMPLETELY spellbound by his vividly told stories.
In the 1970s the Buffalo Public Schools included a few weeks of 7th or 8th grade History class studying the history, geography, people, and economy of Buffalo and Western NY, which included a dedicated textbook. I don't know if they still do that in the Buffalo schools, but like the Georgia guy that became one of my favorite classes and subjects. I do not recall any specific NY State history, but much of it was already taught as part of the larger American History class.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:48 AM

12,476 posts, read 11,979,561 times
I grew up mostly in Connecticut, and if anything there is the inverse there - people not only don't talk about how great the state is, but love to talk about how awful it is. The general attitude is "Our state sucks, but everywhere else is different and scary, and we don't want to live there. Especially New Jersey, because they smell bad."

Old 09-19-2017, 09:06 AM

5,627 posts, read 3,967,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Illinois has little to no state pride. Chicago, however, has immense pride in itself. So much so that it not only wraps its own citizens up with it but it also unites the rest of the state against it.
Like in what? Body bags? Chicago is up to, what, 500 already this year?

Old 09-19-2017, 02:33 PM

1,839 posts, read 1,265,742 times
Quote:
Of course you don't think it is much of an exaggeration-you are the one who originally said it. New at 11: bluescreen73 has same opinion as himself.

I am pretty confident that you do not even know what jingoism is. Those tourist slogans, which no one even takes seriously, are far from jingoistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.