U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 09:58 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I personally don't think it was that much of an exaggeration. There's all the hokey jingoistic stuff like "Everything's Bigger in Texas," "Don't Mess With Texas," "Remember the Alamo," "Drive Friendly -the Texas Way" yada yada yada. Of course I've heard ad nauseam about how Texans (wrongly) think the state has the right to secede from the union, and how Texas is the only state allowed to fly its flag at the same height as the U.S.flag (wrong again). Country radio stations openly promote "Texas Country." I've already mentioned pledging allegiance to the Texas flag, and they also require students to learn Texas history in, I believe, the third grade.
Most of that stuff is tongue in cheek. Texans have a lot of pride in their state but not to the point they hate the rest of the country or think every other state is inferior. And it's a very very small minority that would actually even wanna secede.

You also gotta realise Texas has a very unique history and identity. I am sure Alaska and Hawaii are similar in their state nationalism. As far as the Texas pledge of allegiance, yea it seems silly from an outside perspective, but it's also harmless. Why does it bother you so much that Texans take great pride in their state? Again as long as they're not being arrogant pricks about it, so what? More states should have as much pride from their populace if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 10:02 PM

6,061 posts, read 3,388,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Most states require its history to be taught in its public schools; here in the Peach State, Georgia History is taught in the eighth grade. It was one of the highlights of my entire school career since I had an incredible teacher that really made history come alive and forever sealed history as my favorite subject. We, at ages 13 and 14, were COMPLETELY spellbound by his vividly told stories.
Even Florida which isn't as prideful as other states, we learnt FL history. We learnt about Juan Ponce de Leon, the original Indians, St. Augustine, even prehistoric history of the landscape and shifting shoreline and the basic geography and geology.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 PM

406 posts, read 288,833 times
New York state pride is weird. I find that upstate the country folk up there HATE to associate themselves with those that live in the city and Long Island (same the other way around). However both regions are proud to call themselves New Yorkers (although people in NYC usually refer to the city rather than the state.)

People from Long Island are generally very proud to say they are from there as well.

Lived in Jersey a bit too and you have two types of people from Jersey. Those that NEVER stop talking about how they are "Jersey Strong" and how they love New Jersey and can defend it in any sort of way, and those that cannot stand the state and need to get out asap.

Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 PM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Of course you don't think it is much of an exaggeration-you are the one who originally said it. New at 11: bluescreen73 has same opinion as himself.

I am pretty confident that you do not even know what jingoism is. Those tourist slogans, which no one even takes seriously, are far from jingoistic.
You're absolutely right. Terrible choice of word on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Most of that stuff is tongue in cheek. Texans have a lot of pride in their state but not to the point they hate the rest of the country or think every other state is inferior. And it's a very very small minority that would actually even wanna secede.

You also gotta realise Texas has a very unique history and identity. I am sure Alaska and Hawaii are similar in their state nationalism. As far as the Texas pledge of allegiance, yea it seems silly from an outside perspective, but it's also harmless. Why does it bother you so much that Texans take great pride in their state? Again as long as they're not being arrogant pricks about it, so what? More states should have as much pride from their populace if you ask me.
Those tourist slogans may be tongue in cheek, but they're all part of the shameless self-promotion that Texas excels at. Hell there are even hotels that serve Texas-shaped waffles for breakfast. Truly, though, it's gotta suck that most waffles are shaped like Colorado (just kidding).

The problem with "high pride" states (and this isn't just Texas) is the penchant that some have for moving to a new state and constantly talking about where they came from. It's like telling your new beau how great your old one was. Eventually your new flame is gonna tell you to **** off.

People with a lot of state pride also tend to take great personal offense to someone saying even the slightest negative thing about the state they hold near and dear to their heart. "Texas/California suck" is essentially on the same level as "your mama's so fat..."

Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,153,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Nothing wrong with it as long as yer not a prick about it. Like the people that think New York or California are the only places worth living and everywhere else is too boring or sucky.
I agree. Can't stand people with that type of state/city pride.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:10 PM

2,094 posts, read 766,799 times
City pride tends to be prevalent in urban youth. State pride tends to be primarily a southern rural/suburban thing, particularly states with a good college football teams.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:59 PM

1,958 posts, read 1,456,937 times
When I taught in Atlanta Public Schools in a very urban setting, the neighborhood seemed to drive loyalties more than the city as a whole. It was strange to me that kids who lived a block from one another, but technically different neighborhoods, and who were districted to the same school could have such animosity toward one another. We all used to joke that the City of Atlanta needed to take the "neighborhood markers" off the top of the street signs so no one would know. ;0)

Growing up in the Atlanta southside, working class suburb of Forest Park, I felt like we were REALLY united. You didn't pick on one Forest Park High student without having the entire school come out on your behalf.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:47 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,378,103 times
There's a ton of Chicago pride and people are very loyal and proud. As far as Illinois pride - no way.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:17 AM

4,264 posts, read 5,481,941 times
There's definitely a lot of Maryland pride here (state flag is everywhere!), but not so much at the city level.

When I lived in the Midwest, if you were a Big10 student, there was A LOT of push towards state pride (Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Minnesota, etc.), especially when you moved away from those college towns.

Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 AM

7,738 posts, read 9,033,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I agree. Can't stand people with that type of state/city pride.
Montana has this level of pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.